The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Ballard may stay a forward

No Plus mius is the ultimate stat when judging a defenceman. The true great d men all have ridiculous +/- stats. Why? Because they take it personally when they get scored on. They worry more about stopping a goal, then scoring one. Thats what a true great defenceman does. He not only has all the skill and hockey sense to be an elite scorer, he uses those skills to completely shut down the best of the best. Orr's +/- stats were off the charts, Lidstrom's as well. It is not a team stat, it is an individual one.

Ballard's a character guy who likes Vancouver & wants to be a Canuck. He doesn't complain & is willing to do whatever is asked of him.

The only complaint anyone seems to have of him is his contract.

Is it possible for the Canucks to buy him out over the summer & then resign him at a lower cap hit?

I'd love Ballard at 2 mill a year. A great #6 D man with the versatility to be a 3rd line winger.

Too bad Booth wasn't healthy, we could get him to play D. Maybe the role switch would get them better at the things they seem to be lacking on since they've arrived in Vancouver. <_<

Booth's defensive play is abysmal and I recall a Ballard that actually used to be able to score and contribute offensively on the back end... Oh well, at least Keith is getting some time out there- even if it is at forward. lol

Ballard's a character guy who likes Vancouver & wants to be a Canuck. He doesn't complain & is willing to do whatever is asked of him.

The only complaint anyone seems to have of him is his contract.

Is it possible for the Canucks to buy him out over the summer & then resign him at a lower cap hit?

I'd love Ballard at 2 mill a year. A great #6 D man with the versatility to be a 3rd line winger.

You mean like Marek Malik, Ian White and Jack McIlhargey?

+/- is often misleading, but the eye test doesn't lie. Ballard got caught out of position badly for several games leading up to his benching. Glad AV sat him out when he did. With the way the Canucks were going, he couldn't afford to give him Ballard a "chance" to track even more opponents like a blind Irishman just out of the pub.

I missed Ballards energy against Col and 'defense first' style of play..our forwards (Gordon Ebbett and Pinzo) seem to play smaller and softer than Ballard...and I think the team plays better 'for' him knowing all he has put up with to get into the roster..I think he has more game savvy that he adds to the team when he's in.

Archived