The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are most of you against trading draft picks?

Dun Caesar

Time and time again I read "I wouldn't trade a first round pick for *insert veteran player who is a proven playoff performer*". Really? How often do 1st round draft picks REALLY pan out? Seriously, unless it's a top 5 picks, who cares? There is just a s good of a chance that a 3rd round pick will be as successful; as a first round pick. We realistically have a 2 year window here where we could contend for a cup, now is not the time to be worried about draft picks. Please explain yourselves :sadno:

i'm not against a anything as long as it makes sense, but in most cases, if you're picking up a "veteran with proven playoff performance" they're usually a rental and gone after it's all done. that's a pretty big gamble trading away young talent who can always make something of themselves and add depth to the team so we're competing every year

Our too players are almost past their prime. This means we need top new players to come in and take over as the top six or too three forwards in two to four years. The only way to do this is draft well and bring players up through our farm system. We already are in the bottom three in the league for prospects and if we start trading away our picks that won't improve our situation. Do we need a top six/top nine player, yes. But at what cost? If we trade away picks and that player ends up being a waste, then not only do we lose our chance at the cup in the next couple years, we are looking at a long rebuild period.

Guest Pinchin

First, It's not black and white. Like has already been said, this draft is deep and we want as many picks as possible.

Second, we are not contending this year with a decimated roster, if we are to have a run it's going to be circumstantial and shouldn't be expected.

Third, our prospect tank is fairly empty and unless we want to end up like the Flames, MG better have a pretty serious plan to fill up the prospect tank. It's not like we are deep in early 20's talent on our roster.

Kesler, Schneider, Sedin, Sedin, Schroeder, were first round picks. Edler, Hansen, Raymond, and Bieksa all draft picks too. Hmm they are all core part of the team with the exception of the the rookie Schroeder. All draft picks are important cause they essentially form the core of your team. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Anaheim, Boston and all top teams are led by core players from the draft, thats how you build a winner!

Time and time again I read "I wouldn't trade a first round pick for *insert veteran player who is a proven playoff performer*". Really? How often do 1st round draft picks REALLY pan out? Seriously, unless it's a top 5 picks, who cares? There is just a s good of a chance that a 3rd round pick will be as successful; as a first round pick. We realistically have a 2 year window here where we could contend for a cup, now is not the time to be worried about draft picks. Please explain yourselves :sadno:

It is simple, really....

We are a veteran team who is always aging. The reason why we are a good team right now is because we drafted well 5-10 years ago when we were rebuilding. We are good now because our veteran players are in their prime. But, as our veteran players get older (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, ect.) they will not be as effective. So, there are two options when this happens:

A. We go all in now and hope we win by trading all our prospects and picks

B. We are competitive now and make smart, hockey deals to improve our chances of winning, but keep most of our early picks and quality prospects

In option A, we do what the Penguins are doing. Regardless of whether they win or not, they are going all in now, but later on they will suck for a large period of time. It will be a long rebuilding process.

In option B, we do what the Red Wings are doing. They compete for the cup every year, because they keep their picks and prospects, so when their older players retire, they have new, young prospects ready to step in and they continue to compete.

I would much rather be competitive for many years to come rather than go all in one year (not guaranteed to win) and then suck for 5 or so years in the future while you stockpile draft picks and wait while your prospects develop.

Essentially, the time period where you are not a contender is much shorter by keeping your picks and prospects.

Ok I'm done.

I'll answer your question with another question (two actually): how often do rentals work out? If it's not at least a partial guarantee, then why give up your future for someone that may leave after only a month or two of playing - especially in a shortened season where they don't have the time to acclimate to the teams and it's systems?

I don't know how people can easily trust what "experts" are saying about the draft, whether it's deep or not. I do remember the 99 draft and how some were touting it to be one of the strongest one, where guys like Pavel Brendl and Patrik Stefan were gonna make huge impact in the NHL.

Then there were "weak" reports like from 2008, how outside of Stamkos, there were really no other outstanding prospects.

Better to trade for a known commodity that something that's very unproven (unless it's a top-5 pick).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuK18CZOG4

I know it's a common mantra around here that we should go "all in" in an attempt to win the crapshoot that is the Stanley Cup playoffs, but personally, I prefer to be in the hunt perennially, rather than to take one big shot which might miss anyway and leave the team in the Calgary zone for next two decades...

Archived