The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are most of you against trading draft picks?

Dun Caesar

Trading picks at the trade dead line really works out four us;

Smolinski, Carney, Weinrich, Noronen, Sean Brown, Pahlsson, Bergevin and Brent Sopel.

The pick for Sopel turned into Wayne Simmmonds.

There's a reason Hockey Futures has the Canucks organization ranked #29 in prospects.

So a scout makes a public, anonymous statement that the draft is not as good as predicted? What possible reason could they have for putting that information out there? A red herring perhaps?

The question someone should also ask themselves is which scouting department is this person from? We'd like to think they are all good at their job in assessing talent but they are not.

I have spoken to scouts who all like the quality of this draft through 50 picks. Who to believe? It may not be as good as 2003 but that was a rare occasion. If it only comes close it will be an exceptional year.

I would like to see the Canucks add a player or two but hopefully somebody thats around 25 yrs old so they are still young but somewhat proven and well past the prospect age because its time to win now.

Personally when it comes down to drafting i believe some teams have to keep all picks because they can't lure free agents but really i think we can get away with trading a couple here and there because have the benefit of players really wanting to play in Vancouver as free agents whether from college or from other teams.

Basically in a way other teams will be grooming their picks for us to get when they are closer to their prime.

I am not saying part with lots of prospects because we don't have many but considering the circumstances and how are attractive Vancouver is to players we can easily get by trading a couple to win now.

I would like to see the Canucks add a player or two but hopefully somebody thats around 25 yrs old so they are still young but somewhat proven and well past the prospect age because its time to win now.

Personally when it comes down to drafting i believe some teams have to keep all picks because they can't lure free agents but really i think we can get away with trading a couple here and there because have the benefit of players really wanting to play in Vancouver as free agents whether from college or from other teams.

Basically in a way other teams will be grooming their picks for us to get when they are closer to their prime.

I am not saying part with lots of prospects because we don't have many but considering the circumstances and how are attractive Vancouver is to players we can easily get by trading a couple to win now.

i'm not against a anything as long as it makes sense, but in most cases, if you're picking up a "veteran with proven playoff performance" they're usually a rental and gone after it's all done. that's a pretty big gamble trading away young talent who can always make something of themselves and add depth to the team so we're competing every year

Because we are a team that wants to build and get better every year. Picks enable/help us to do that. If we can trade our picks for one year to win the cup, we may/will become the Oilers and be forced to re-build. I'd rather stay strong and contninue to improve with young players who can take over and be top players when the Sedins retire.

We drafted the Sedins in the first round and when our core (back then) was starting to fade with the likes of Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, etc. they broke out and took over....

We should be looking to do the same for them now

Ya your right. Our 20th plus picks never pan out. Its not like we coild everbpick a guy 23 overall and see him score 40g one season. No way he could ever be a selke winner and be considered one of the best 2way forwards in the league. We shoild just trade all of our first round picks for steve otts every year. We should do what the leafs do! Look how far it got them! Coild you imagine if they had Tyler seguin and dougie hamilton! Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

Attractive? Vancouver?

Longest traveling time and toughest schedule in the nhl, rabid hockey fans who would throw you under the bus every chance they get, and a gm who won't overpaid players like the rangers or the flames..... And you call Vancouver attractive?

It's not the worst, but its far from a place where you would attract big time players.

Also teams won't groom their picks for you, they will always trade the ones who didn't work out for them, and somehow you are expecting that a team would just groom a first round pick for you so they can trade him for another draft pick

So sum up what I said, its not as easy as nhl13

Attractive? Vancouver?

Longest traveling time and toughest schedule in the nhl, rabid hockey fans who would throw you under the bus every chance they get, and a gm who won't overpaid players like the rangers or the flames..... And you call Vancouver attractive?

It's not the worst, but its far from a place where you would attract big time players.

Also teams won't groom their picks for you, they will always trade the ones who didn't work out for them, and somehow you are expecting that a team would just groom a first round pick for you so they can trade him for another draft pick

So sum up what I said, its not as easy as nhl13

Trading picks at the trade dead line really works out four us;

Smolinski, Carney, Weinrich, Noronen, Sean Brown, Pahlsson, Bergevin and Brent Sopel.

The pick for Sopel turned into Wayne Simmmonds.

There's a reason Hockey Futures has the Canucks organization ranked #29 in prospects.

I think picking in the draft when your picking 20-30 is a crap shoot and overrated considering your chances at star players. Anything you miss out on picking there you could just as easy sign either out of college or through free agency and have just as good of a team or better.

Archived