The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Letter to Victoria’s Secret From a Father

Heretic

I think people should have the right to buy a product or ignore it? You know where they wouldn't allow these products to be sold? In places like Iran. You can go live there if you want. I prefer to live in a country that has freedoms. If I disagree with someone, I state my position and have a civil interaction. Something that seems a little beyond you.

And how is suggesting this Rev (who by the way, I'm sure doesn't believe or support gay marriage because homo sexuals are not natural and gays all go to Hell according to organized religion) choose not to buy these products as opposed to making sure no one in the entire world should make that decision for themselves "wildly ironic"?

Here's the thing though...when it comes to "making decisions" of sexuality and suggestive clothing and it involves kids, the options shouldn't even be there. I'm all for the freedom of choice, but to even put kids into the equation isn't something that anyone should be entertaining. Protection of kids trumps anything.

Lingerie isn't really for "public consumption", so if your daughter is showing it off, the undergarment isn't the problem here, it's upbringing.

Having sexier lingerie available won't make your daughter anymore or any less sexually provocative. Claiming that clothing will make your child more sexually active isn't too far off from claiming that mini-skirts causes rapes.

I'm not worried about "my daughter"...I'm worried about the fact that it sends the wrong messages. I didn't make the claim that you're suggesting...my claim is that it will somehow be interpreted by pedophiles that kids are not off limits. Especially with suggestive wording...not saying that they'll necessarily see it ON kids, but to see that it's available to kids can somehow be translated to a green light.

Atheist here. I agree with the Reverend.

I think you forget that it's not just people under 18 who have money. Allowance, part time jobs, and odd jobs like newspaper routes or mowing lawns could help these young girls buy products that are quite inappropriate for their age.

On the most basic level, do you think that these young teen lingerie products should exist? Yes or no.

I'm not worried about "my daughter"...I'm worried about the fact that it sends the wrong messages. I didn't make the claim that you're suggesting...my claim is that it will somehow be interpreted by pedophiles that kids are not off limits. Especially with suggestive wording...not saying that they'll necessarily see it ON kids, but to see that it's available to kids can somehow be translated to a green light.

So suggestive clothing is the problem here? You know who wears suggestive clothing? Promiscuous chicks!!

Teenagers know what's good and what's bad, some choose to ignore it and some get involved. Smart move by VS even though some may think it's immoral.

Is McDonalds at fault too because you're fat? No! Is VS at fault for allowing teenage girls to buy lingerie? No!

Why? Because people have choices.

As for parents, talk to your children, and educate them if you have a problem with some things.

Right. But that's exactly what the father is saying in the letter. "Sure, go ahead and make them if you must, but try to look into your souls and see that this product isn't appropriate. You can keep them up, but if you took them down, you'd be doing culture a favour."

Here's the thing though...when it comes to "making decisions" of sexuality and suggestive clothing and it involves kids, the options shouldn't even be there. I'm all for the freedom of choice, but to even put kids into the equation isn't something that anyone should be entertaining. Protection of kids trumps anything.

The sad, horrible and disgusting reality is that pedophiles ALREADY think kids are not off limits. These items will change nothing.

If you dress kids in nun habits and lock them up in your home pedophiles will still want at them. So I don't buy that argument.

But imagine how it'll reinforce things for them.

Here's the deal...I don't really think there's an argument in the world that should place sales and marketing in a position of importance over kids. Let kids be kids...they grow up too quickly as it is. To target them as little money making mannequins is not really in the best interest of society. We all have choices to make and, hopefully, we do so in a light that makes us role models for kids and helps steer them in the right direction. Not exploits them.

When money becomes more important than the future generations of this world, we're all lost. Too late (really), but that doesn't mean it's worth giving up on. How low can we go really comes to mind.

Sure - it's about having the right to choose. And companies aren't excluded in that...they can chose to be socially responsible or absolutely mindless and completely greed driven.

I am completely oblivious as to what VS is?? And no, I'm not googling it.

And GM...its not just clothing. Sure, make cute little underwear and bras....but the labeling on it is the focus for me. "Feeling Lucky?" What the hell is that about? So don't pretty it up with a bow....it's very suggestive and has no place on children.

But imagine how it'll reinforce things for them.

Here's the deal...I don't really think there's an argument in the world that should place sales and marketing in a position of importance over kids. Let kids be kids...they grow up too quickly as it is. To target them as little money making mannequins is not really in the best interest of society. We all have choices to make and, hopefully, we do so in a light that makes us role models for kids and helps steer them in the right direction. Not exploits them.

When money becomes more important than the future generations of this world, we're all lost. Too late (really), but that doesn't mean it's worth giving up on. How low can we go really comes to mind.

Sure - it's about having the right to choose. And companies aren't excluded in that...they can chose to be socially responsible or absolutely mindless and completely greed driven.

I am completely oblivious as to what VS is?? And no, I'm not googling it.

Someone should tell that father that even though the product is inappropriate, it's the culture's fault for buying into it.

Why else would Victoria's Secret be manufacturing them? Because they know it will sell.

And for the 'soul' part, business has no soul.

Someone should tell that father that even though the product is inappropriate, it's the culture's fault for buying into it.

Why else would Victoria's Secret be manufacturing them? Because they know it will sell.

And for the 'soul' part, business has no soul.

So you let them off the hook on that? Culture's fault? It starts somewhere you know. If people just willingly accept everything that's thrown at them, where does it end? That's the lazy man's thinking - to pass the buck like this.

But I don't believe these animals need any reinforcing. They don't care what kids are wearing, they will attack kids. I'm far from an expert on this but I don't believe this particular product is gonna make normal people turn into pedophiles.

Again, I don't believe I said "turn into" anything...I said send the message to them that it somehow supports their sick and twisted thinking. Reinforce their thinking to them. People who are so completely askew and mentally disturbed that they would do something like that will read that it's "OK". And how do you think they'll advertise this stuff? They'll likely have models and campaigns and billboards and ads to promote the line.

No. Sorry, just no.

So you let them off the hook on that? Culture's fault? It starts somewhere you know. If people just willingly accept everything that's thrown at them, where does it end? That's the lazy man's thinking - to pass the buck like this.

Archived