The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My list of possible 3rd line checking centers

Hey guys,

So obviously it is no secret that we need a 3rd line checking center that can also score from time to time. I thought I would do some research and come up with some options for you guys to discuss about who you would rather target and what the price would be to get them. Here is my list of players who I think MG could potentially go after (ordered by team alphabetically). I apologize in advance as the list is quite long!

Steve Ott (BUF*) - Agitating, gritty center can kill penalties, take faceoffs, and score on occasion.

Matt Stajan (CGY*) - Can play a solid defensive game but far too inconsistent.

Derek Roy (DAL*) - Veteran presence, great work ethic, but is a UFA at season's end.

Darren Helm (DET) - Very speedy, checking center who has defence-first mentality.

Eric Belanger (EDM*) - Defensively minded center who is great on the dot.

Marcel Goc (FLA*) - Very versatile center who is good on faceoffs.

Shawn Matthias (FLA*) - Great size, faceoff abilities, and has potential to improve offensively.

Jarret Stoll (LA) - Proven checking center and has a big shot.

Paul Gaustad (NSH*) - Big, physical defensive center is great on faceoffs.

Bryan Boyle (NYR) - Monstrous size and is a physical presence, but lacks skill.

Zack Smith (OTT) - Good defensively and on faceoffs, but needs to develop confidence offensively.

Max Talbot (PHI*) - Plays with energy, can kill penalties and is good on faceoffs.

Boyd Gordon (PHX*) - Versatile defensive forward who is good on the dot.

Martin Hanzal (PHX*) - Very large frame and good hands, but is inconsistent.

Michael Handzus (SJ*) - Veteran presence, good on faceoffs, and can still play an effective shutdown game.

Vladimir Sobotka (STL) - Gritty center who plays with energy and has offensive upside.

Nate Thompson (TB*) - Solid defensive forward who plays a physical game.

Jay McClement (TOR) - Checking center who is great in his own end and on faceoffs.

Jay Beagle (WSH*) - Defensively minded center who will drop the gloves on occasion.

* Teams who are likely to be or have a significant chance of being sellers at the deadline.

Despite the fact that the list is quite long, there are clearly players who sit above others in terms of availability and best fit. So, just because they are on the list doesn't necessarily mean they are available or are a good fit in Vancouver. If I have missed a player who you think deserves to be on the list please feel free to let me know!

Who would you target for our 3rd line center?

What would we need to give up to get them?

I don't know...IMO Kesler is the perfect third line centre. He can shut down opposing players and also contribute offensively. Like Malholtra, Kesler also has the size to take on big, strong centres such as Thornton and Getzlaf without being pushed around.

BTW one 41 goal season doesn't make him a premier goal scorer and he needs to remember that. He had three 70+ points seasons and in two of those seasons he had many more assists than goals. Right now, clearly his predictable wrist shot move isn't working so I believe that he should try helping out his linemates....

I like Kesler lining up against other team's top centers. Schroeder with Raymond and Hansen brings enough offense.

That said, Boyle is a 6'7" 58% faceoff centre who is 9th in the league in hits. His numbers are atrocious this year offensively, plus he is sporting a -8. He might make a good fourth line centre next year if we can't bring back Lapierre as well. I wouldn't mind him for depth, but his 1.7 mil cap hit is a bit steep.

This is nuts. It's a good thread but you're putting pure top-six forwards on that list, along with 20-year old prospects. We're not looking for those types of guys.

Take off: Cogliano (contender), Peverley (contender), Shaw (contender/young), Gagner (EDM's scoring leader), Brodziak (top six), Couturier (young), Nielsen (top six), Laich (top six), Burmistrov (young).

I mean, give me a break. Put Sam Gagner, who has 28 points in 32 games, and you think he's a THIRD LINE CENTRE? You have no justification for putting his name on that list.

This is nuts. It's a good thread but you're putting pure top-six forwards on that list, along with 20-year old prospects. We're not looking for those types of guys.

Take off: Cogliano (contender), Peverley (contender), Shaw (contender/young), Gagner (EDM's scoring leader), Brodziak (top six), Couturier (young), Nielsen (top six), Laich (top six), Burmistrov (young).

I mean, give me a break. Put Sam Gagner, who has 28 points in 32 games, and you think he's a THIRD LINE CENTRE? You have no justification for putting his name on that list.

Sedin Sedin Kassian (Top offensive line, majority o-zone starts)

Higgins Kesler Burrows (gets highest qualCOMP, drives possession and plays matchup game)

Hansen Schroeder Raymonds (has shown chemistry as a skilled line, secondary scoring)

Lapierre Goc Weise (Malhotra-like deployment line, 20-30% o-zone start)

Throw Booth on line 2, and Burrows to line 1 when healthy.

Archived