The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the buy out rule?

Hi everyone

Does any one know exactly what the new buy out rule is? Is it the entire cost of the remaining amount?

Can another team pay for part of it, if there was a trade then buy out? How long do you have to pay it out?

For instance could you trade Luongo for Bryzgalov with the intent of buying out Bryzgalov, as part of your deal, Phili pays a portion of the buy out, even though Vancouver would use their buy out, or phili could use theirs instead and have Vancouver pay part of their buy out of Bryzgalov. I know this is a shell game, where both parties share in the buy out, there by sharing the pain and making it easier to complete the rest of the trade......you fill in the rest of the players......I am just asking? Both teams are rich, and sharing it could allow justification to get a Center and a pick in return. Again just asking!

I believe the buyout rule is that the player is given 2/3 of the remaining money spread out over double the length of the remainder of the contract.

Example: If Bryz is bought out in the Summertime he will be owed 34.5 million left on his contract over 7 years.

So 2/3 = 23 million - which is then spread out over 14 years or 1.645857 million per year.

Here's a link that might help: http://thehockeywriters.com/compliance-buyouts-nhl/

You can't share the buyout, whoever has the player on their roster at the end of the previous season is responsible for it. Regular buyouts were 2/3rds of the salary to be paid out over twice the term, but the amnesty buyouts have to be paid out in the same number of years as remain on the contract (still at 2/3rds of the total $).

Here's the actual detail from the MOU:

During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season,

in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to

Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of

up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a

“Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as

are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will

not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the

Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the

Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that

has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining

the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration

of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if

the Player was bought out in 2014).

Here's a link that might help: http://thehockeywrit...ce-buyouts-nhl/

You can't share the buyout, whoever has the player on their roster at the end of the previous season is responsible for it. Regular buyouts were 2/3rds of the salary to be paid out over twice the term, but the amnesty buyouts have to be paid out in the same number of years as remain on the contract (still at 2/3rds of the total $).

Here's the actual detail from the MOU:

One thing that was interesting from another section of the MOU was that a player not on a team's reserve list as of the last trade deadline wouldn't be eligible for a buyout, and players making less than $2.75M also wouldn't be eligible. The money part wouldn't matter so much, but the one about the reserve list is important, it'd mean it'd have to be a deadline deal versus a deal after the season for us to be able to buy out Bryz.

A bit of a moot point anyway since Philly would have to give us a lot extra for us to take on Bryz with the purpose of us buying him out for them, and I doubt that happens. Think Luongo, Ballard and Booth for Bryz, Couturier, Simmonds and a 1st.

My friggin eyes are spinnin! LOL Just trying to find a way to circumvent the cap! I guess they will just have to wire the money from one dummy company to the other, maybe a personalized check??? Nah, that would never work! LOL Hmmm???

Seriously, thanks for the headache, gotta figure how to do this at the deadline........someone needs to be creative!

That would be trading two potential buyouts to Philly for one potential buyout to Vancouver. I understand what you are saying but that deal makes no sense. Be more like Bryz and a second for Sauve (you would have to assume Lou is gone to make that deal work)

Archived