Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Canucks mending fences with Pavel Bure?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#61 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

If you were a Canucks fan in the 90's there was nothing like Bure in the league and seeing him was truly something special. It was a shame how things ended between the organization and our first real superstar. If there is a chance to make things right here I 'd love to see steps taken to bring him back to the fold.

#62 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Av would rather have rome's 29 up in the rafters, anyhow nice to see bure get some recognition

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#63 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I still say ROH
Posted Image

#64 brownky

brownky

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I can't fathom how great it would have been to see Bure and Gretzky on the same line.

#65 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

4 retired shirts
0 stanley cups

2 more when the sedins retire

laughable, really

You don't like the number of numbers being retired? Let's say they do retire #10 and the twins play for another 5 years. That's 6 numbers in 48 years. At that pace, it'll be another 352 years before half of the #s are retired. By that time Hockey probably won't even exist.

Your other thing about "trying to create a legacy". How can Bure not be the first person you think of when talking about the Canucks history? The only Hall of Fame calibre player. If there's only 1 jersey that should be up there, it's his.
Posted Image

#66 canucksfan555

canucksfan555

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

I sure hope this happens, sure he didn't win a cup with us.. but he was our best player in our clubs history.. and turned a lot of fair weather hockey fans into die hard Canuck fans... And I think just for the fact alone he was the first canuck in the HHOF this should happen!

#67 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Other than Lemieux, Jagr and Crosby who else has Pittsburgh had that warranted jersey retirement. (2 still play)

I guess you could argue Ron Francis too

Tom Barrasso?

#68 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Messier can shove em Lays where the sun don't shine. Messier was the worst player to fall from expectations in Canuck history.

Messier came here as a fraud and committed massive theft.

There is one good thing to come out of the Messier era: it resulted in us getting the Sedins.

#69 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

Best Canuck ever. Had management not tried to run this team like it was still the 1950's and the players were nothing more than meat he would have played here until the end of his career.

Sometimes you ask for a trade when promises are not kept. 10 deserves to be on the roof.

There was allot more to it than that. Bure had personal reasons for wanting to go to Florida.

#70 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

The Pittsburgh Penguins only have 2 jerseys retired and one is for a guy who passed away at a young age (Michel Briere). The only other retired jersey? #66 Mario Lemieux. Standards.

And 3 cups. With a 4th on the way.

#71 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Sorry didn't realize winnning a stanley cup was a prerequisite for retiring a jersey.

Linden, Naslund, Smyl (who have their shirts retired now) were all great hockey players, leaders and members of the community. Falling short of the ulitmate prize, in no way, diminishes their amazing careers, or the quality of human beings they were.

Agree on Linden and Smyl. But Naslund was a weak captain, and by the end of his tenure, I got tired of listening to him make excuses for the team's substandard performance. If your team has the top scoring line in hockey, with the Sedins as your second line, and you can't make it past the second round of the playoffs, then you have a leadership problem.

#72 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

4 retired shirts
0 stanley cups

laughable, really

Willie Mitchell won a Stanley Cup. We should retire his number.

#73 MAHVELUSRAY

MAHVELUSRAY

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hopefully this leads to the Canucks mending the fences with Mark Messier as well and retire his number, free Lays day at Rogers Arena.

Messier the most disgraced A-hole the Canucks ever had the displeasure of stating he was one of them.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE; THE IMPOSSIBLE ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES LONGER
AND A FEW DOLLARS MORE

#74 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

4 retired shirts
0 stanley cups

laughable, really

So your assertion is that a team can only honor players if they won a cup?

I think you've missed the point of what jersey retirement means.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#75 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

This. Sorry, I love my team, but Bure played less than 500 games for this organization and things got really sour and now he's going to get his jersey retired? He was a magnificent player and could have easily scored 500 goals and 1000 points as a Canuck had he, you know, played a long, healthy career in Vancouver, but his actual resume does not warrant jersey retirement. Come on...

The Pittsburgh Penguins only have 2 jerseys retired and one is for a guy who passed away at a young age (Michel Briere). The only other retired jersey? #66 Mario Lemieux. Standards.

I agree. No jersey retirement, but ROH for sure...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#76 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

I can't fathom how great it would have been to see Bure and Gretzky on the same line.

You can thank Pat Quinn for screwing that one up.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.