The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the Sedins need to do to get out of the funk

CanucksJay

The Sedins have always struggled in the playoff reffing environment and the way they are currently struggling with the way the game is being called shows that will continue to be the case.

THe kind of precision their tic-tac-toe pasing plays demand is very hard to achieve under teh close checking, grabbing and obstruction the league has allowed to be part of the game. This is the price we pay for the "parity" Bettman and the US market demands.

The Sedins need to expand their repertoire or they will fade fast. They are not getting younger or faster so they need to find different ways to be effective. Taking penalties would not be top of my list, as suggested by the OP.

A few games back - can't remember which - they looked really good and were a threat every shift. WHen asked what the streatgy was, they said, to keep moving and not be static. I think this is key for their game. They tend to like to make numerous short pases in a very small. contained area of the ice hoping for someone to open up infront of the net. ONe probem is, they don't hav a line mate capable of rally going thre and being effective (Kass was th closest to this) so the cycle usually just kills time until the other team eventually gains possession or it's one perimeter shot and the puck is cleared.

The Sedins need to challenge defenders and attack one-on-one more. The game I referred to, they did this and made some really sick moves that led to scoring chances and a goal and assist by Danny, if I'm not mistaken. SInce then, they've fallen back to the circle, cycle game that is being shut down.

The Sedins have the skill to be effective on the rush and to make passes quicker and create confusion and space by shooting more. They just don't seem willing to play like that.

Rant /

They aren't 100 point players anymore, they are still point per game players but those dominant days are over.....they just have no support from the 2nd and 3rd line for the other teams to worry about and focus on

Swip swap hank and Danny on the pp...have hank teeing up garrison and Danny

The Sedins have always struggled in the playoff reffing environment and the way they are currently struggling with the way the game is being called shows that will continue to be the case.

THe kind of precision their tic-tac-toe pasing plays demand is very hard to achieve under teh close checking, grabbing and obstruction the league has allowed to be part of the game. This is the price we pay for the "parity" Bettman and the US market demands.

The Sedins need to expand their repertoire or they will fade fast. They are not getting younger or faster so they need to find different ways to be effective. Taking penalties would not be top of my list, as suggested by the OP.

A few games back - can't remember which - they looked really good and were a threat every shift. WHen asked what the streatgy was, they said, to keep moving and not be static. I think this is key for their game. They tend to like to make numerous short pases in a very small. contained area of the ice hoping for someone to open up infront of the net. ONe probem is, they don't hav a line mate capable of rally going thre and being effective (Kass was th closest to this) so the cycle usually just kills time until the other team eventually gains possession or it's one perimeter shot and the puck is cleared.

The Sedins need to challenge defenders and attack one-on-one more. The game I referred to, they did this and made some really sick moves that led to scoring chances and a goal and assist by Danny, if I'm not mistaken. SInce then, they've fallen back to the circle, cycle game that is being shut down.

The Sedins have the skill to be effective on the rush and to make passes quicker and create confusion and space by shooting more. They just don't seem willing to play like that.

Rant /

They aren't 100 point players anymore, they are still point per game players but those dominant days are over.....they just have no support from the 2nd and 3rd line for the other teams to worry about and focus on

Swip swap hank and Danny on the pp...have hank teeing up garrison and Danny

Well said. Although you don't agree with me, I respect what you have posted as it's well though out and articulated clearly.

I think you might have nailed it on the head when you said they need to continue moving their feet.

My suggestion is a lazy response to the clutching and grabbing and although it might work, that kind of play does not embody the class that Hank and Daniel play with.

The respectable answer to the scoring woes is for Sedins need to move their feet quicker and continuously to avoid being pinned to the boards and I think you are completely correct

The 2nd line has been carrying this team for a few weeks. The third line has also played fairly well at times. The 4th line is a problem, but that doesn't really come in to play unless the 4th line is utilized properly instead of out there to give a break to other lines.

What needs to happen is Burr needs to go to the 3rd line, to essentially make the 3rd line into line 2b. then, when Kassian is healthy, he needs to go back to the top line to pick up where he left off - scoring goals in the dirsty areas and feeding the Twins beauty assists.

The Sedins are very skilled but Not so smart players. It is sick to watch them pass the puck endlessly until they turn it over in the offensive zone. They always choose to pass when they are in good position to shoot or even when they have a wide open net to shoot at. The Sedins also play a big part in the league almost dead last dismal PP when they always slow down the movement of the puck every time it's under their stick and they don't shoot. Of course, the Canucks should fire that Brown guy who has no idea of how to run the PP. D. sedin is the top goal scorer and he is most dangerous around the net. I don't remember D. Sedin ever scores a goal from the point but he was put there for no reason by Brown. Vancouver will give up many more SH goals with D. Sedin playing the point because he does not have the speed to play defense when there is a turnover. The same applies to Schroeder, who does not have a point shot and is weak in defensive play, when he was playing the point in PP.

The twins will be useless in the playoffs unless they change their play to the shoot first. The twins will take less of a physical beating if they shoot more, instead of cycle the puck endlessly behind the goaline along the boards.

Shooting the damn puck is the only way for the twins to get out of this funk.

As usual the sheeple look merely at offensive output. The Sedins have become more responsible lately and that has had a large impact on how the rest of the team has been playing. They are playing the system and are playing as a team instead of as individuals. That is how we need to play to be effective in the Playoffs. Wide open hockey becomes less and less effective the further you go in the Playoffs. Don't listen to the media clowns. Flake, Suckeres, Tony(I'ma coming missus a Whiggins)G etc. are morons!!!

I agree that their cycle game doesn't work anymore because they're being rubbed out of the play along the boards. But I don't agree that they need to trip players to mitigate this.

Why can't they cycle in open ice rather than along the boards? Yes they won't be able to use the boards to protect the puck, but they can give themselves more room in open ice where they can't just be smushed by someone.

Also, why not give the "on the rush" play a chance? Gain the zone and take a shot. Why does every freaking play have to start with a cycle, and end with a wasted shift that didn't generate anything?

The Sedins have been the best in the league at point getting. But as far as physicality goes, they're nowhere near the top. We may be on a 5 game win streak but it's a facade folks. We won't win 1-0 games in the playoffs. The Sedins HAVE to score more if we want to get anywhere.

I agree that their cycle game doesn't work anymore because they're being rubbed out of the play along the boards. But I don't agree that they need to trip players to mitigate this.

Why can't they cycle in open ice rather than along the boards? Yes they won't be able to use the boards to protect the puck, but they can give themselves more room in open ice where they can't just be smushed by someone.

Also, why not give the "on the rush" play a chance? Gain the zone and take a shot. Why does every freaking play have to start with a cycle, and end with a wasted shift that didn't generate anything?

The Sedins have been the best in the league at point getting. But as far as physicality goes, they're nowhere near the top. We may be on a 5 game win streak but it's a facade folks. We won't win 1-0 games in the playoffs. The Sedins HAVE to score more if we want to get anywhere.

Archived