The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Entire Trade Deadline history of the Canucks

The Stanchion

What this says to me is... don't trade picks. Trade players.

Every time we've traded 'just picks', we've gotten hosed in the end.

When we trade players, we seem to do decently, most of the time. Even if those picks are just prospects... we do better.

Warning: 70% of you will not finish this because it is far far too long. I tried to keep it short but there was just too much to talk about. Once you start talking about Jiri Slegr, it's tough to stop!

But for those of you stuck at work or school and need a bit of a read, I went over the entire Canucks trade deadline activity history, so if you want to travel down memory lane, here's your chance!

Seriously, it's really long, I'm sorry.

http://blogs.theprov...loving-tribute/

Wow, very well done. So many good, awful and "oh yeah that happened..." moments there.

Been a fan since I was about 10 (in 86) but didn't know about trades and the like until I was in high school, about '92 just before the cup run.

I don't remember what happened with LaFayette. I must have suppressed that memory...

I do remember wondering why we got a goalie from the Rangers the year after we lost to them in the final. I did like Hirsch though, he was good for us and had that sweet Hitchcock mask.

Nice work. I always like to recollect how badly we picked over the blues in the early 90s

I do hope you were being a bit facetious when you said acquiring Higgins and Lappy was one of our best years.

No way that even begins to equate to getting Lumme in 1990, courtnall, momesso and running in '91, brown, hedican and Lafayette in '94, Naslund in 96, or Morrison in 2000.

The former was acquiring two bit players in a Stanley cup run. The latter were trades that built the core of our team.

I went through all of it. The Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and Dirk one was the best IMO. That was also the first year I started following hockey after I immigrated to Canada and it was fresh and new to me. And it is still fresh and new to me to this date.

That trade was kind of like sending Booth and Garrison away for Matt Read, Voracek, Johan Franzen (now) and Bryan Allen. It's like the other team is helping us. This kind of trade don't really happen any more.

EDIT: Oh yes Naslund historically turned out to be a bigger win of course. But it took a few years before he came around so by the time he did it didn't quite feel like a deadline day win. Ronning and co. made a huge impact on the team right away and pushed us to the playoffs that year.

EDIT 2: Another difference between the Naslund trade and the Ronning trade was that Stojanov was highly touted. It was a swap of two 1st rounders, so it seemed fair to some degree at the time. Whereas the Ronning trade just made no sense to St. Louis.

I remember being ticked at losing Stojanov, because the guy hit everything that moved. Which is probably why he had such as short career. But I didn't think Naslund would turn out like he did.

Maybe with Nonis' track record we can fleece him with a Luongo deal at the deadline. :)

Archived