The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hesitant to pull the trigger?

BuretoMogilny

we all do but sad that after last year's exit, MG has really done nothing to improve this team, its depth and as a result with injuries we look to be exiting early this year.

we do have a window with the sedins and it is closing. I'd say MG really only has 2 years left to actually win after that Hank and Dan will be too old and we don't have any real scoring depth to take their place, and it certainly doesn't seem like the Lou trade will bring that to us.

Yes I would trade for Iginla - what part of that don't you get? its plain as day in my post. If you think this team is not going to get knocked out of the first or second round this year, you're drinking too much koolaid kid.

We don't have the size nor intensity to match up against a number of teams in the west.

I disagree, we have more injuries to our top players than I can remember and we are on a five game winning streak. It is a testament to our players, the type of work ethic they are expressing... And depth is only as far as a little more success by our youngsters... After Bourdon, there was Hodgson.. Cody was traded for a guy, who I hope pans out, but I like what I see in Kass' potential.. The next years draft... Schroeder, who is currently playing successfully and has formed chemistry with Raymond... Next up.. Tanev, etc etc... What weak drafts, or prospect pickups... And we are still one of the best teams in the league..after all of this... Horrible f...ing depth....

<p>I think you have to realize that there wasnt alot of players of quality that were traded last year.......at the deadline

Nas and Van were active but the choices were thin

Now the question is (with it being thin out there)....if you find MG timid...are you willing to pay the price

keep in mind you may still want to gamble and go all in....keep in mind that we dont have alot of grade A prospects stockpiled

want Iginla.........give up your 1st, either (jensen or gaunce )and Corrado....and that may get the job done or maybe not....Iginla may actually give us that pus hover the top..but at a very high price

clowe a 1st and Guance or a similiar value ....very pricwey for some grit but an injured p[layer playing well below his capabilty right now.

AGAIN THIS IS FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINK MG is timid...maybe he has to shoot his wad now for a solid chance at winning this year followed by a very bleak future......and keep in mind some of those teams may decide to pass on a same confrence team

Jarome Iginla will make any team instantly better. He is an offensive player, that is on a decline, that is a pending UFA after this season. There is no gaurantee he will re sign with the team.

The Canucks will evaluate Jarome Iginla probably like this.

Proven offensive player. Team Canada multiple times at the highest level. Heart and Soul player, tough as hell, and physical as hell.

HOWEVER.

We don't know exactly how Iginla will perform in Vancouver. For all that can happen we can blow a 1st round draft pick a long with our best prospects for him, we get him, get smoked in round 1. Then you will write up another thread about how Timid Gillis is, and how he is he was inaccurate in evaluable Jarome Iginla wasting our top prospects for him.

Do you see where I am going with your logic?

Back on the original post, Keith Ballard, at the time we traded for him, was an physical offensive player proven to be able to play in a top pairing situation with the team. He kills penalties and plays on the powerplay. He was a +14 in 2009 on a Weak team. When we acquired him, Dan Hamhius was not acquired yet, and there are believes he would sign with Philadelphia.

BTW, who do you think we should trade to Get Iginla for? Keep in mind these prospects will end up in Calgary were we might end up facing against for years to come in the future. Thank you.

btw Personally I think his worst move was Letting Ehrhoff go, as our offense the past 2 seasons has been greatly effected with his departure.

Mike"Patient not Stupid" Gillis has totally changed the culture of this team. He is not the one who injured all of our players. Last year in the Playoffs we had an injured Daniel, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa. We don't know how our prospects will turn out, yet sheeple assume they will be busts. We have been winning in spite of all the injuries. The only weakness is at center. Selling the farm for a one-time shot at the Cup would be stupid.

Mike"Patient not Stupid" Gillis has totally changed the culture of this team. He is not the one who injured all of our players. Last year in the Playoffs we had an injured Daniel, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa. We don't know how our prospects will turn out, yet sheeple assume they will be busts. We have been winning in spite of all the injuries. The only weakness is at center. Selling the farm for a one-time shot at the Cup would be stupid.

actually no i dont see where you're going with your logic because if they traded for iginla and bowed out i'd at least have the respect for gillis that he's doing whatever it takes to bring a cup to vancouver vs accepting, 'hey we made the playoffs, maybe if we get lucky we'll win' type attitude.

your comment about me critisizing MG after he makes such a deal is not only arrogant, its patronizing and presumptiuous.

further, as I said, it depends on the price. I don't think giving up Gaunce/Jensen and a first is worth it for a rental.

I ALSO STATED that the reason we CANNOT AFFORD TO MAKE BOLD MOVES is because of a lack of organizational depth

that depth is MG's responsibility and the fact we have none limits our ability to make moves.

again - to explain for the 20th time, his decisions have brought us to this point, this juncture. All the decisions HE HAS MADE IN THE PAST, bring us here.

To a point where we lack organizatinal depth, we can't go after the big fish because it costs too much simply because we don't have much to draw on..

Those are MG's failings.

who said I think we should be selling the farm?

please read what i said and don't put words in my mouth.

ps we've lacked depth at center since the hodgson trade and he's done nothing to solve it and we've lacked a real second line winger since he got here

i am not going to repeat my op but please dont generalize and smooth over his failures.

we lack depth because of his decisions no one elses and yes maybe it would take selling the farm to get iginla because our farm isnt very deep.

pittsburgh on the other hand, has a stable full of talent it can use as trading pawns doesn't it? yet they have been drafting pretty low as well...not to mention have won a cup

hmm

We're in the playoffs consistently. I don't see how you can say he he hasn't iced a competitive team every year. We got 4th line depth guys taking us on a winning streak right now.

If you expect him to be able to ice the 2011 juggernaut every single year then stop watching hockey. No team can do that.

"i'd at least have the respect for gillis that he's doing whatever it takes to bring a cup to vancouver vs accepting, 'hey we made the playoffs, maybe if we get lucky we'll win' type attitude."

So you want Gillis to go after Iggy.

Kinda like when he aggressively went after Sundin.....and got him. How did that work out.

Doesn't that earn your respect.

It's not easy to get depth when you keep finishing first overall...Late first round picks are always somewhat of a crapshoot to make the NHL....So, MG's success is a blessing as well as a curse.

All Mike Gillis has really promised is that he will try to make this team a contender, year after year, for the SC as best he can.....He's not perfect,but as a whole,I think he's done well.

You keep referring to Pittsburgh,they have had a competetitive team for years.Are they the favourite to win it every single year.?..no!...Canucks are no different.

It's not easy to get depth when you keep finishing first overall...Late first round picks are always somewhat of a crapshoot to make the NHL....So, MG's success is a blessing as well as a curse.

All Mike Gillis has really promised is that he will try to make this team a contender, year after year, for the SC as best he can.....He's not perfect,but as a whole,I think he's done well.

You keep referring to Pittsburgh,they have had a competetitive team for years.Are they the favourite to win it every single year.?..no!...Canucks are no different.

I was initially a fan of MG's when he first came. Given he had years of experience evaluating players as an agent (clearly he had to focus on trying to find the diamonds in the rough and sign them), his desire to address the whole organization from player development in the minors to ensuring his NHL players were well taken care of, he seemed like he was going to come in and make a big difference.

5-6 years (however many he's been here) later, my opinion of him is changing. Not 'changed' yet but starting to lean to a view of happy with above average play and competing for a cup vs. WINNING one.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe he wants to win, but doesn't have the nerve to make the 'big move'. Part of this is due to lack of depth, but then whom do we blame for that? He has been here 5 years and honestly the depth of this organization is probably as bad as its ever been. Here are my thoughts.

1. He has made some good moves, lets not be one sided, and for those he needs to be commended. Signing the Sedins to decent contracts, Schnieds, Edler, Hamhuis, finding Tanev, Burrows, even Garrison is looking like he's coming around.

2. The team went to the cup and has been winning in the regular season. Erhoff for a bag of pucks was a steal and he was not worth what Buffalo paid, so I give him credit on both the catch and the release.

However, since the cup finals he has made alot of bad moves and now at a time when this team is really at a crossroads, seems like he's happy to stand pat. At a time when you see pittsburgh going after Morrow, rumours on Iginla going there, Boston, Chicago, we say we don't want a winger. MG doesn't want a winger with heart and grit? Size, who can score? Even as a rental? This is where his errors begin.

1. He has incorrectly evaluated the character of his team, and ability to compete in the post season. In 2011 his team got hot at the right time and they had a much grittier mix of players. Moroever, his current players that were on that roster, were playing much harder, like they had something to prove (Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, even Lou).

2. He then felt, because of that play, he needed only to 'tinker' with his lineup. Well last year's exit, how we seem to get manhandled by larger teams should say enough, but he still ignores this, almost delusionally thinking, perhaps due to denial, that his choices were correct and they will come around and compete when its time. This is his fatal flaw.

3. Adding marginal players with big salaries who have not played to those salaries. Booth - size, sped and hands apparently - he's been a bust, lets face it. Overpaid for a 30 goal year and he's shown none of that here. Perhaps its just the wrong system but he doesn't use his size, hasn't scored and doesn't seem to be a threat on the ice.

4. Wasting money on ballard. I love ballard and i think he could be a top 4. But there is no room for him and AV hates him. So why did MG spend 4 ml on a player we didnt need? Better off finding a stay at home tough dman for 2-3 ml who makes few errors and is good with the first pass.

5. Timing of the CoHo deal. No need to flog a dead horse here. I love Kassian but the timing was atrocious.

6. Signing Lu to the monster deal when he KNEW he had a stud in Schnieder. His ability to judge talent should have told him, lets at least hedge. I don't anticipate ever trading the guy but keep some flexibility given I should be able to see Schnieds has potential.

7. Allowing Torres to leave over 750k. We lacked intensity and grit and he lets it walk. Its showing now and will in the playoffs

8. Best for last. A lack of willingess to 'go for it'. With Jerome Iginla available, Vancouver on his list, he comes out and says no wingers. Well why is that? Well 1. We need a center. Well why is that? Well he's failed to create depth at the MOST important position in hockey - that is his fault. In addition we have a plethora of wingers. Too bad they are either all too small to compete in the playoffs or are plugs. Futher, we have a lack of prospect depth, not allowing us to provide the other team with enough incentive to trade with us, without taking a roster player (ie Pitts has incredible depth in their system on D and they haven't had great draft positions either).

Jerome Iginla gives the 2013 Canucks a fighting chance at the cup. He brings heart, a winner's attitude, leadership, 30 real goals, a guy who can play on the pp, a guy who will teach Kesler, Kassian, Edler what it means to compete and want it - but we don't want that?

MG is showing us, he's happy with a team that competes in the regular season, and has an outside chance at the cup if it gets lucky, but isn't willing to go all in. Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, are all trying to go all in and they have younger teams.

What this tells me is MG's strategy is really to be what we call in business - "Stuck in the middle". He won't go for it, but he's not weak enough to rebuild. We're starting to look like San Jose, Calgary of the 2000's and soon Toronto.

One would suggest he has to make a choice, my argument is, his confluence of errors means he already has made his choices and now is paying for them.

To have the Sedins in their prime and not be in a position to challenge for a cup is terrible. They are slowing, we can all see it. Kesler is constantly hurt and an egomaniac so not addressing our issues at center is unbelievable. Kassian is being misused and is really our only player with size AND hands, Luongo and his 5.3 million. are wasted on the bench when at worst he could have brought cap releif and picks we could have used as part of a deadline rental.

MG has scuttled this team due to his own willingess to accept mediocrity.

oh and you have one? is that you MG? Lol...chirping me because I think he hasn't lived up to the hype he's created about himself.

please go ahead a disagree with me what i said but lets hear some thought, some facts vs your childishness

"i'd at least have the respect for gillis that he's doing whatever it takes to bring a cup to vancouver vs accepting, 'hey we made the playoffs, maybe if we get lucky we'll win' type attitude."

So you want Gillis to go after Iggy.

Kinda like when he aggressively went after Sundin.....and got him. How did that work out.

Doesn't that earn your respect.

Archived