The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hesitant to pull the trigger?

BuretoMogilny

This team needs a playmaking d man with the maturity and skill levels that the Sedins can actually work with.

Taking off a goalie's head with a shot that can't hit the net does not make a top 4 d man.Pretty laughable estimation,really.

Maybe Garrison can take out a few of our forwards.That is what I am expecting next.

This team had Hodgson,now a leading scorer in the entire NHL while Kes was already hurt and yet MG decided to trade him.Talk about character issues,the GM has them in spades,it seems.

At least criticizing the GM is putting the onus on the real power structure,not just taking it out on the coach day after day after day with 985 posts demanding he be fired and telling the world what an inferior POS he is.

1. He has incorrectly evaluated the character of his team, and ability to compete in the post season. In 2011 his team got hot at the right time and they had a much grittier mix of players. Moroever, his current players that were on that roster, were playing much harder, like they had something to prove (Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, even Lou).

2. He then felt, because of that play, he needed only to 'tinker' with his lineup. Well last year's exit, how we seem to get manhandled by larger teams should say enough, but he still ignores this, almost delusionally thinking, perhaps due to denial, that his choices were correct and they will come around and compete when its time. This is his fatal flaw.

3. Adding marginal players with big salaries who have not played to those salaries. Booth - size, sped and hands apparently - he's been a bust, lets face it. Overpaid for a 30 goal year and he's shown none of that here. Perhaps its just the wrong system but he doesn't use his size, hasn't scored and doesn't seem to be a threat on the ice.

4. Wasting money on ballard. I love ballard and i think he could be a top 4. But there is no room for him and AV hates him. So why did MG spend 4 ml on a player we didnt need? Better off finding a stay at home tough dman for 2-3 ml who makes few errors and is good with the first pass.

5. Timing of the CoHo deal. No need to flog a dead horse here. I love Kassian but the timing was atrocious.

6. Signing Lu to the monster deal when he KNEW he had a stud in Schnieder. His ability to judge talent should have told him, lets at least hedge. I don't anticipate ever trading the guy but keep some flexibility given I should be able to see Schnieds has potential.

7. Allowing Torres to leave over 750k. We lacked intensity and grit and he lets it walk. Its showing now and will in the playoffs

8. Best for last. A lack of willingess to 'go for it'. With Jerome Iginla available, Vancouver on his list, he comes out and says no wingers. Well why is that? Well 1. We need a center. Well why is that? Well he's failed to create depth at the MOST important position in hockey - that is his fault. In addition we have a plethora of wingers. Too bad they are either all too small to compete in the playoffs or are plugs. Futher, we have a lack of prospect depth, not allowing us to provide the other team with enough incentive to trade with us, without taking a roster player (ie Pitts has incredible depth in their system on D and they haven't had great draft positions either).

Jerome Iginla gives the 2013 Canucks a fighting chance at the cup. He brings heart, a winner's attitude, leadership, 30 real goals, a guy who can play on the pp, a guy who will teach Kesler, Kassian, Edler what it means to compete and want it - but we don't want that?

MG is showing us, he's happy with a team that competes in the regular season, and has an outside chance at the cup if it gets lucky, but isn't willing to go all in. Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, are all trying to go all in and they have younger teams.

What this tells me is MG's strategy is really to be what we call in business - "Stuck in the middle". He won't go for it, but he's not weak enough to rebuild. We're starting to look like San Jose, Calgary of the 2000's and soon Toronto.

One would suggest he has to make a choice, my argument is, his confluence of errors means he already has made his choices and now is paying for them.

To have the Sedins in their prime and not be in a position to challenge for a cup is terrible. They are slowing, we can all see it. Kesler is constantly hurt and an egomaniac so not addressing our issues at center is unbelievable. Kassian is being misused and is really our only player with size AND hands, Luongo and his 5.3 million. are wasted on the bench when at worst he could have brought cap releif and picks we could have used as part of a deadline rental.

MG has scuttled this team due to his own willingess to accept mediocrity.

Before posting stupid threads and comments/replies... Read the freaking rule book and look up NTC/NMC

Hard to trade for what you CAN'T GET!!

Lets say Bure never had ankle/knee problems, and the Aquilini's owned us long long ago so there was never any mistreatment of players, and he stayed here.

K so fast forward to present, Bure is in his late 30s-early 40s (roughly Jagr's/Selanne's age, dont know exact) and hes still on the canucks, still putting up decent numbers, but still no cup.

If hes on the trade block and the Calgary Flames are tops in our division, do we trade him to the flames??? Do u think he wants to waive his ntc to go to our rival???

Get real, quit ur whining

1 - I don't think there's any problem with the "character" of the team. The rest I believe is simply in your head as opposed to anything reality based.

2 - Last years exit had more to do with Kesler playing with not one, but two injuries requiring off-season surgery. Daniel missing the start of the playoffs with a concussion, Raymond having a poor year following that serious back injury, and Booth not performing after his knee injury combined with LA getting hot at the right time backed by a goalie who should have won the Vezina. It really had little to do with getting manhandled by size. Just as Boston winning had far more to do with a lengthy list of injuries as opposed to their size.

3 - Booth actually produced as a typical 2nd line winger last year despite a poor showing after the knee injury. I wouldn't call Booth a bust at this point but he hasn't played out as hoped due to injuries.

4 - At the time we acquired Ballard we didn't have Hamhuis. Which is to say we did need him. I don't buy the "AV hates him" crap at all. Acquiring Hamhuis from free agency certainly changed the Ballard deal though. He's not as good as Edler offensively nor as good as Hamhuis defensively putting him into the bottom pair which he really isn't suited to. He gets himself in the doghouse by trying to do too much behind bottom six forwards instead of playing the safe simple game which is suited to that role. And again, injuries have played big a part in his troubles.

5 - Unlike EA where everybody is available when you want, in real life you sometimes have to make a move when what you are looking for becomes available. Such was the case with Hodgson. Buffalo was still in the hunt for a playoff spot and was willing to give up a young power forward in exchange for a young, badly needed, center. Buffalo was not going to wait untill summer to make the deal and young power forwards aren't exactly readily available at your whim.

6 - Although I hated the "till death do us part" Luongo deal from day one Schneider was nothing more than a prospect. Like every prospect you don't know how well they'll perform at the NHL level until they get there. You are using hindsight on this one.

7 - Torres left because of term, not money. I'd rather have Higgins than Torres anyway. Higgins may not be as recklessly physical but he contributes offensively and doesn't have the tendency to hurt the team with the stupid penalties Torres is prone to.

8 - Everything I saw regarding Iginla had him with only Detroit and LA on his list in the west. So I don't see the point in crying about it.

Before posting stupid threads and comments/replies... Read the freaking rule book and look up NTC/NMC

Hard to trade for what you CAN'T GET!!

Lets say Bure never had ankle/knee problems, and the Aquilini's owned us long long ago so there was never any mistreatment of players, and he stayed here.

K so fast forward to present, Bure is in his late 30s-early 40s (roughly Jagr's/Selanne's age, dont know exact) and hes still on the canucks, still putting up decent numbers, but still no cup.

If hes on the trade block and the Calgary Flames are tops in our division, do we trade him to the flames??? Do u think he wants to waive his ntc to go to our rival???

Get real, quit ur whining

See above Vancouver was on his list

AND AGAIN

PLEASE READ MY ORIGINAL POST AND THINK ABOUT WHAT I AM SAYING. IT IS NOT ABOUT IGINLA THIS IS THE 20TH TIME I HAVE SAID IT FOR THE SPECIAL NEEDS PEOPLE ON HERE.

This is about Gillis and his impact and the fact his errors have handcuffed his own ability to make moves to improve this team.

Understand? If you dont go look at the examples again, read it 45 times if you have to then read this post and it explains the examples.

The go back, read it another 45 times, think about it, use your grey matter, think again. then read another 45 times, ask your mom to explain it to you and then maybe you'll get my point.

Seeing as many on here don't seem to think much they just get angry and argue about 1 example and not get the point.

"Forest through the trees?"

So what if we were on his list? We are also a divisional rival. Who said Feaster wouldn't expect more from us instead of Pittsburgh? Also, YOU need to understand that Gillis can't force a trade if there are no willing partners. We don't have the depth to aquire superstars. That's why we have to draft our players. Yes, our draft pool may be lacking, but how is trading away picks and prospects going to help our prospect pool?

This will come as a shock to you, but good GMs also think about the future, not just one season.

So what if we were on his list? We are also a divisional rival. Who said Feaster wouldn't expect more from us instead of Pittsburgh? Also, YOU need to understand that Gillis can't force a trade if there are no willing partners. We don't have the depth to aquire superstars. That's why we have to draft our players. Yes, our draft pool may be lacking, but how is trading away picks and prospects going to help our prospect pool?

This will come as a shock to you, but good GMs also think about the future, not just one season.

It's hard to make "bold" moves when you don't have the assets to trade with. It's just that simple.

Unfortunately Gillis made a lot of trades and deals that made sense at the time. But long-term not so much.

I agree with Baggins, I didn't like the length of the Luongo contract in the first place. I felt we could have gotten the same

deal with shorter term. ($10 million, $8, $6, $4, $2 = 5 years @ $6 million average cap hit)

Hamhuis wasn't a lock, so Ballard was an insurance policy. But I do feel we could have gone after a younger D-man and not given up a first rounder.

The Hodgson Trade, I disagree on this one, because even if it meant we couldn't get Kassian, I'm sure there are other packages that would have made sense we could have done at the draft or offseason.

In short, we need to stockpile picks and prospects to restock our cupboard. So it's hard to make trades when all you have is Raymond, Ballard, and Luongo.

Pittsburgh got Morrow because they had a 1st round prospect to move, and already a lot of depth at that position. We pretty much don't have depth anywhere at this point.

Gillis is the worst GM in the league, hands down. While he's whining about how hard it is to make moves other GM's have their eye on the prize. It's too bad we have a corrupt media in this town that spews nothing but organization approved propaganda. I'm sure all the media apologists will be out in full force today excusing Gillis while chiding movers like Shero (kind of like the Botchford article of a few days ago). The time for excuses is over.

Gillis is the worst GM in the league, hands down. While he's whining about how hard it is to make moves other GM's have their eye on the prize. It's too bad we have a corrupt media in this town that spews nothing but organization approved propaganda. I'm sure all the media apologists will be out in full force today excusing Gillis while chiding movers like Shero (kind of like the Botchford article of a few days ago). The time for excuses is over.

Archived