92 replies to this topic

#31 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Wouldn't count on it. Let's just take the salary dump and be happy about it, cap space will be very valuable next season.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one glad Gillis hasn't acted on that particular piece of business advice.

#32 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

We all think that is is Lou getting traded. Maybe MG and AV have been showcasing CS for a trade. Short term cap hit is that Luo's contract is larger, but CS will become UFA in a couple of seasons. If CS is successful here, Canucks may not be able to afford him and sign the Sedins.

#33 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

This is true but the fact remains that our goaltending was the best part of our team in this run, no argument that we need help big time in other areas and that's why Lou must be moved.. So we can as you say beat the real contenders.

I think the majority on cdc has been saying and hoping for this to happen all season,myself can't see it happening now.....maybe in the off season !!!!.If it was going to happen it would have already been done.

#34 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Roberto changed my life and brought this city pride and prestige it never had. I could go on about what Roberto has done for us but I'm on my phone and my thumbs will hurt lol

If it makes you feel better, he gets paid 6.7 mil a year lol

#35 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

I'm the fist guy to point out that we cant keep that amount of cap in goaltending along. But man am I going to be sad to see one go. I wish everyone would take a step back and look for a moment how fortunate we are. We simply have the best goaltending tandem in the league. We're never going to have this ever again.

Heres to luuuuuu

And

Scheiderman

Edited by TruCanuck, 28 March 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#36 KeslersPlayoffBeard

KeslersPlayoffBeard

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

We need Luongo for a deep run because.....?
What exactly will he accomplish sitting at the end of the bench watching playoff action while looking at Cory with sad eyes? That seems to me like it would be a distraction. They wont be alternating games, no team does that in the playoffs, so what is the point of keeping the tandem?

Playoffs have shown players get injured or they crack under pressure, Luongo has the experience in the playoffs moreso than Cory does. That said why does it hurt to have Luongo around to help Cory like has been doing all season long and be there to provide advice during the playoffs? The fact that you assume there is a distraction is absurd. I find it merely more for both guys to play to the best of their abilities bringing the best for the team, a healthy competition.

Edited by KeslersPlayoffBeard, 27 March 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

#37 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

POPULAR

Nothing wrong with having them both here for a playoff run :)

Cheers, 

'MERICAN Canucks fan.

#38 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Pretty sure I'm not the only one glad Gillis hasn't acted on that particular piece of business advice.

Realistically what can we expect?
There's very little market for goaltenders.
We have an ageing goalie with mediocre season stats, an albatross contract, a questionable playoff record, who's been relegated to the backup position. Who is going to cough up a good return for that?

If Gillis wants to move this guy he might have to accept a 2nd rounder and or a plug to unload him.

#39 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Playoffs have shown players get injured or they crack under pressure, Luongo has the experience in the playoffs moreso than Cory does. That said why does it hurt to have Luongo around to help Cory like has been doing all season long and be there to provide advice during the playoffs? The fact that you assume there is a distraction is absurd. I find it merely more for both guys to play to the best of their abilities bringing the best for the team, a healthy competition.

That's the optimistic point of view. It could go either way though.

#40 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Do you not feel its a bit of an assumption on your part that Lou is advising Schneider (melanson does that) or that the situation in the dressing room is not just a little awkward? Lou is a proud man and he has to be hurting a little, it would be quite natural for him based on the fact that he has been superceded by Schneider, I think a resolution to the situation would be better for all parties. IMO its gone on too long to be healthy and Lou deserves better.

#41 KeslersPlayoffBeard

KeslersPlayoffBeard

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Do you not feel its a bit of an assumption on your part that Lou is advising Schneider (melanson does that) or that the situation in the dressing room is not just a little awkward? Lou is a proud man and he has to be hurting a little, it would be quite natural for him based on the fact that he has been superceded by Schneider, I think a resolution to the situation would be better for all parties. IMO its gone on too long to be healthy and Lou deserves better.

How is it an assumption when I saw it during the game I went to? Also was shown on tv during the shootout? Luongo even said it himself that he is here for the team and do what's best for hence being there for Cory constitutes that, I believe it is more of an assumption on your part that it is awkward in the dressing room considering how well the Canucks have been playing. If it really was that awkward in the dressing room then this team would be falling apart and their record wouldn't be what it is now.
Posted Image

#42 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think the majority on cdc has been saying and hoping for this to happen all season,myself can't see it happening now.....maybe in the off season !!!!.If it was going to happen it would have already been done.

Hope you wrong because if your right it means MG is packing it in for the season. I also can't see how he would get more for him in the summer when we would be forced to trade him because of the cap. This is starting to look like a bluff that has gone wrong, very wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already had an offer that he turned down that is better then anything he will get.

Edited by Nino, 27 March 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#43 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

If it makes you feel better, he gets paid 6.7 mil a year lol

It doesn't really but I c what u mean... idc what he gets paid.

I'm sure aquilini already made all his money back that he paid lu

Either way I'm happy for Cory. Both will be successful goalies

Edited by apollo, 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#44 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

People expecting to get a huge return/ a solid player for Lu is going to be unhappy. If Lu get's traded, it will be probably salary back or a draft pick or 2...Dumping him for nothing makes no sense, it doesn't help us out
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#45 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Rightly so, he's a top 3 goaltender in the league as of late.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#46 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hope you wrong because if your right it means MG is packing it in for the season. I also can't see how he would get more for him in the summer when we would be forced to trade him because of the cap. This is starting to look like a bluff that has gone wrong, very wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already had an offer that he turned down that is better then anything he will get.

You could very well be right with your assumption,myself i'm a Lou fan, but it's not making too much sense what Gillis is or isn't doing about the situation.

#47 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

Watch Schneider get injured the DAY after Luongo gets traded... That would be rich!

#48 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Now we just need someone to give us a half decent return for Luongo....

Don't hold your breath, go to nhl.com stats and dial up the goalies to see how Luongo rates against other goalies and then figure out why it is so hard to trade a guy getting 5.3 mil for what he is accomplishing statisticall - He is 15th among goalies in GAA who have played over 15 games - much worse if we include goalies who have played 10 or more games. In save % he is 25th among goalies with 15 or more games - again much worse if 10 or more games are used as the cut-off. You just don't pay that kind of money for that kind of goalie for that many years. Get used to the idea that at his pay-rate, no-one wants him. MG could not trade him while he was hot, now, who wants him at all? It's just a bad deal financially - we might have to give up someone valuable packaged with Luongo just to get rid of him. I know the Luongo lovers will dump all over this idea, but if he had value why is he not already gone - we sure as hell have been needing players that supposedly could have been returned. Where are they? Why is Luongo still here?

#49 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,837 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Good move.
Posted Image

#50 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

CS start helps save AV's job and brings out the AV lovers. That's why he's starting once again. If av wasn't feeling the heat you know he'd be switching back and forth as usual instead of riding the hot goalie.

#51 CaptainKool

CaptainKool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I personally think that Schneider is playing because he has been playing so well. Start the goalie unil the lose, that's what we've been hoping AV to do no? Since we are getting to the end of the season, the coaching staff realize that every game is a must win. Therefore, they start schneider because they think he'll give the best chance to win.

#52 cupbearer

cupbearer

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

1) 5 wins, 5 GA, 2 SO in last 5 games = easy decision for coach
2) Trades are a brewing and we can't trade an injured player
3) With Iginla in Pittsburgh, all the other eastern conf teams will be scrambling to match their depth, so I figure Luongo's value has gone up and expect a deal over the weekend.

#53 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

CS start helps save AV's job and brings out the AV lovers. That's why he's starting once again. If av wasn't feeling the heat you know he'd be switching back and forth as usual instead of riding the hot goalie.

Bingo but try to convince the av hardons of this.

#54 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Double postinnnnnn

Edited by lolwut?, 28 March 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#55 Dr. J.

Dr. J.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Nothing wrong with having them both here for a playoff run :)

But a long playoff run is more likely if Gillis can get an asset in return for Luongo. Luongo will fetch no more in the summer than he will at the deadline. Maybe less.

#56 ronningsback

ronningsback

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Don't hold your breath, go to nhl.com stats and dial up the goalies to see how Luongo rates against other goalies and then figure out why it is so hard to trade a guy getting 5.3 mil for what he is accomplishing statisticall - He is 15th among goalies in GAA who have played over 15 games - much worse if we include goalies who have played 10 or more games. In save % he is 25th among goalies with 15 or more games - again much worse if 10 or more games are used as the cut-off. You just don't pay that kind of money for that kind of goalie for that many years. Get used to the idea that at his pay-rate, no-one wants him. MG could not trade him while he was hot, now, who wants him at all? It's just a bad deal financially - we might have to give up someone valuable packaged with Luongo just to get rid of him. I know the Luongo lovers will dump all over this idea, but if he had value why is he not already gone - we sure as hell have been needing players that supposedly could have been returned. Where are they? Why is Luongo still here?

Well said ... the question I have though is how does Gillis keep his job for making such a ridiculous contract?

#57 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Good he deserves the start but I don't believe Luongo is going anywhere until the playoffs are over, we need him for a deep run. We have one one of the best goalie tandems if not the best in the league, would be stupid to get rid of that aspect of the team while we still have a chance to make a deep run again.

Deep run as rostered?.....
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#58 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

ride the hot hand i guess :)

#59 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Bingo but try to convince the av hardons of this.

The roster is busted.

Schneids is providing the years best tending.

Please share what your coaching decisions would be.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#60 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Can the CANUCKS take LUO to arbitration like they did MAYRAY to shorten his contract to make him more tradable ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.