92 replies to this topic

#61 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't understand why people think this current roster has a chance to go deep in the playoffs? In the playoffs, they won't be playing non-playoff( majority of the Northwest Division) teams.

Upfront they have huge holes in centre. Without a trade I don't see how this team can stack up with other teams. You look at all the Stanley Cup winners and tell me did they have two #1 goaltenders? I would say their were very deep upfront. Unless you think Ebbet, Schroeder, and Lappiere makes the Canucks centre position deep.

Edited by Gonz, 28 March 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#62 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Roberto changed my life and brought this city pride and prestige it never had. I could go on about what Roberto has done for us but I'm on my phone and my thumbs will hurt lol

Changed your life? Not sure I would be advertising that.

#63 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't understand why people think this current roster has a chance to go deep in the playoffs? In the playoffs, they won't be playing non-playoff( majority of the Northwest Division) teams.

Upfront they have huge holes in centre. Without a trade I don't see how this team can stack up with other teams. You look at all the Stanley Cup winners and tell me did they have two #1 goaltenders? I would say their were very deep upfront. Unless you think Ebbet, Schroeder, and Lappiere makes the Canucks centre position deep.

I still don't get all the chatter about the problem down the middle for the Canucks. Hank is Hank, JS has been a force since being called back up and has better chemistry with his wingers (both wingers) than any other C on the team, Lappy is a solid 4th line C and Kes will likely be coming back before the playoffs. On top of that Higgy can slot into the middle at any given time, and Ebbett has been a serviceable two C-man.

Why would MG want to break up the JS line?

22 - 33 - 9
20 - 17 - 14
21 - 45 - 36
29 - 40 - 32

#64 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Schneider had a bit of a slow start (maybe due to no real training camp/preseason?)...Either way, he has turned it around for long enough now that people should feel confident in him being the #1. The guy has been unreal over this win streak.

Luongo is my favourite goalie of all time. He single handedly turned this organization around and made them perennial contenders. When the Sedins were still trying to find their top player groove it was Luongo who carried this team. Whichever team he gets traded to will instantly become my (very very very distant) second favourite team. Lu still has many years of top 5-10 goaltending left in him. As much as I would love for him to be around for just 1 more cup run, what's best for this team right now is trading him either for some legit prospects (which we lack) or some scoring help which we need.

#65 Saniel Dedin

Saniel Dedin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

yes wooho yes schnider is the bestest goalie number 1 schnider is the one best canuck that can stop all the puck yes schider way to stand on his face he is the one yes the reasons the canuck have won schnider man yes it is the schnider man
Free Saniel Dedins Siblings!!!
http://forum.canucks...-saniel-dedins/
Go go go!!!

#66 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Just out of curiousity, did you even bother looking at the Canucks record vs playoff teams?

I looked at their record vs Nashville up in the standings (as i'm assuming Dallas and Columbus will eventually fall off the map)...They have a 9-5-4 record. 5 of those games were in shootouts (1-4), so they could be rocking at worst a 9-10 and at best a 13-5 record. This is without your second line center for essentially the entire season.

So why is it tough to assume that they could potentially make a run with this roster? They have been playing all gritty 1 goal games on this current win streak and came out on top every single time.

Nothing is easy in the playoffs obviously...But going based on their record against playoff teams so far it's not like it has shown them to be completely inept against the best in the west. People just love to blindly throw out the "they won't be playing NW division teams all of the time" line. It's a tired argument already.

Edited by Airjasper, 28 March 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#67 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Can the CANUCKS take LUO to arbitration like they did MAYRAY to shorten his contract to make him more tradable ?

.... simple answer no. The contract is set in stone. He earned it. 5.3 was an extreme underpayment. he could have easily landed a 7.5 averaged contract that summer from atleast 5 teams
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#68 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

.... simple answer no. The contract is set in stone. He earned it. 5.3 was an extreme underpayment. he could have easily landed a 7.5 averaged contract that summer from atleast 5 teams

???, who would pay Lou 7.5? I'm not say his 5.3 is unreasonable but 7.5 your in a dream world. It's hard to say with a straight face that he's a top 10 goalie still, no one would pay him 7.5.

Edited by Nino, 28 March 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#69 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

thanx....i was curious...

#70 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

WOW Gillis is really trying to showcase Schneider, must have a big trade coming up for a LEGIT top 6. Or maybe it will be for another bust.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#71 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

WOW Gillis is really trying to showcase Schneider, must have a big trade coming up for a LEGIT top 6. Or maybe it will be for another bust.

Maybe they're not showcasing Schneider, maybe they're sitting Luongo so he doesn't get hurt because they intend to try and trade him at/before the deadline.

Posted Image

#72 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Maybe they're not showcasing Schneider, maybe they're sitting Luongo so he doesn't get hurt because they intend to try and trade him at/before the deadline.

This.

#73 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

???, who would pay Lou 7.5? I'm not say his 5.3 is unreasonable but 7.5 your in a dream world. It's hard to say with a straight face that he's a top 10 goalie still, no one would pay him 7.5.

The year they signed him I said... not now.

If he had go to free agency he would have been the best goalie free agent in a decade ... bryz got 6+... easily 7-8 could have been had. That's y we had to front lload it.
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#74 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

The year they signed him I said... not now.

If he had go to free agency he would have been the best goalie free agent in a decade ... bryz got 6+... easily 7-8 could have been had. That's y we had to front lload it.

Agreed, I thought you were saying he would get 7.5 now, sorry.

#75 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well we won't be getting anything in return for Luongo if we trade him, it will be a big waste won't help us out at all but lose some money on the cap, but most teams won't want it anyways. Trading Cory we will be able to get us something that will help us offensively and into the playoffs, and even for next year if we need it. This team doesn't have big prospects that are going to make a big impact for us since we got ride of most of them, so we will have this team of players for a good 4-5 more years, so we need to get a legit scorer now, and the only way we have a chance at doing that is trading Cory, yes it sucks, but that's really our only option if we want to go deep into playoffs.
Posted Image

"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#76 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well we won't be getting anything in return for Luongo if we trade him, it will be a big waste won't help us out at all but lose some money on the cap, but most teams won't want it anyways. Trading Cory we will be able to get us something that will help us offensively and into the playoffs, and even for next year if we need it. This team doesn't have big prospects that are going to make a big impact for us since we got ride of most of them, so we will have this team of players for a good 4-5 more years, so we need to get a legit scorer now, and the only way we have a chance at doing that is trading Cory, yes it sucks, but that's really our only option if we want to go deep into playoffs.

What makes you think we wont get anything in return for Luongo exactly? I mean, I realize the return for Schneider would probably be a lot better, but Luongo isn't an asset that has to be given away for nothing.

Posted Image

#77 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

What makes you think we wont get anything in return for Luongo exactly? I mean, I realize the return for Schneider would probably be a lot better, but Luongo isn't an asset that has to be given away for nothing.

Maybe the fact that one his contract, and teams don't want to take a gamble on it, plus with the salary cap going down next year. Also the fact Luongo isn't getting much playing time, so teams are not seeing how he is playing, you really think they will give away someone good for a goalie they aren't able to see play, that's a big risk. The return for Cory is much higher always has been plus his salary is lower, and the fact the Sedins aren't getting any younger our window isn't that big anymore our time is now not 5 years from now.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 28 March 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

#78 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Maybe the fact that one his contract, and teams don't want to take a gamble on it, plus with the salary cap going down next year. Also the fact Luongo isn't getting much playing time, so teams are not seeing how he is playing, you really think they will give away someone good for a goalie they aren't able to see play, that's a big risk. The return for Cory is much higher always has been plus his salary is lower, and the fact the Sedins aren't getting any younger our window isn't that big anymore our time is now not 5 years from now.

His contract is long, sure, but I don't think that the cap going down makes him any less valuable. His cap hit is only 5.3 million per season. That's not bad at all for a goalie who plays at an elite level when he is on his game. One of the other goalies on the marker, Ryan Miller, has a cap hit of 6.25. I don't think the contract will scare away a team if they decide that they really need goal-tending. That's just my opinion though, I could be completely wrong.

Cory Schneider does give us a chance to win, just look at how he has carried us lately. I think the faults at the start of the year were just nerves at the idea of needing to be "the guy". Now that he's had some time to get used to that thought, he's been fantastic. It's not as if he is a 20 year old goalie fresh out of junior who we are expecting to carry us all the way. He's 27 years old, and has had success at every level of hockey he's played in. We've developed him remarkably, something the Canucks organization is usually somewhat poor at doing.

Posted Image

#79 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

His contract is long, sure, but I don't think that the cap going down makes him any less valuable. His cap hit is only 5.3 million per season. That's not bad at all for a goalie who plays at an elite level when he is on his game. One of the other goalies on the marker, Ryan Miller, has a cap hit of 6.25. I don't think the contract will scare away a team if they decide that they really need goal-tending. That's just my opinion though, I could be completely wrong.

Cory Schneider does give us a chance to win, just look at how he has carried us lately. I think the faults at the start of the year were just nerves at the idea of needing to be "the guy". Now that he's had some time to get used to that thought, he's been fantastic. It's not as if he is a 20 year old goalie fresh out of junior who we are expecting to carry us all the way. He's 27 years old, and has had success at every level of hockey he's played in. We've developed him remarkably, something the Canucks organization is usually somewhat poor at doing.

I know Cory is a good goalie I am not denyting that one bit, and Luongo is an elite goalie himself. I know his cap hit is lower than other goalies and he's better then those other goalies, it's the fact that his contract goes until he is like 43, and that means a team will just have to buy him out in the end anyways. I don't think another team who knows how long his contract goes for and will have to pay him out is willing to take that on, and especially give up something and take on that contract, I just don't see us getting what we need and that is secondary scoring.

Cory and Luongo both give us chances to win, it's the secondary scoring that doesn't give us a chance to win that's our problem and that's what needs to be addressed. Yes Cory can help us win even in playoffs, but if we can't score then really having the best goalie doesn't really help us out either. We need to score and the only way we can land a real top scorer is from trading Cory, you won't be able to get that trading Luongo. Plus we need a coach who knows how to coach offense to get secondary scoring to happen, AV is a defensive coach and always will be, he can try and coach offence, but when he is a defensive style coach is not that easy to just change it and become an offensive style coach, it isn't going to happen. And a lot of people will argue last year about how offensively good we were, well I never thought we were that good 5-5, but we sure had a lot of success on the PP.
Posted Image

#80 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

I know Cory is a good goalie I am not denyting that one bit, and Luongo is an elite goalie himself. I know his cap hit is lower than other goalies and he's better then those other goalies, it's the fact that his contract goes until he is like 43, and that means a team will just have to buy him out in the end anyways. I don't think another team who knows how long his contract goes for and will have to pay him out is willing to take that on, and especially give up something and take on that contract, I just don't see us getting what we need and that is secondary scoring.

Cory and Luongo both give us chances to win, it's the secondary scoring that doesn't give us a chance to win that's our problem and that's what needs to be addressed. Yes Cory can help us win even in playoffs, but if we can't score then really having the best goalie doesn't really help us out either. We need to score and the only way we can land a real top scorer is from trading Cory, you won't be able to get that trading Luongo. Plus we need a coach who knows how to coach offense to get secondary scoring to happen, AV is a defensive coach and always will be, he can try and coach offence, but when he is a defensive style coach is not that easy to just change it and become an offensive style coach, it isn't going to happen. And a lot of people will argue last year about how offensively good we were, well I never thought we were that good 5-5, but we sure had a lot of success on the PP.

Just out of curiosity which team and which player is this "top goal scorer" coming from?

#81 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Glad to see them ridin' with the Schneid'! The kid's dynamite!!

#82 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Can the CANUCKS take LUO to arbitration like they did MAYRAY to shorten his contract to make him more tradable ?

No. Raymond was an RFA. Luongo has a contract.

#83 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just out of curiosity which team and which player is this "top goal scorer" coming from?

Well which teams need goaltending? Philly needs one, they have a few goal scorers last time I checked, Tampa Bay needs a goalie and they have some scorers, San Jose could possibly use a goalie if they want to go deep into playoffs. Washington is still a team that could possibly, but Holtby has been playing better so that one is a gamble for them still. Even Buffalo may want to make a move. New Jersey maybe, with Broduer near the end of his career. There are teams out there!
Posted Image

#84 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Why is it that we always have to be either "showcasing" someone or "sitting someone so they don't get injured".

How about Cory is playing simply because he is lights out right now...

#85 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Why is it that we always have to be either "showcasing" someone or "sitting someone so they don't get injured".

How about Cory is playing simply because he is lights out right now...

Because it's fun to speculate when it's almost the trade deadline!

Posted Image

#86 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Because it's fun to speculate when it's almost the trade deadline!

Fair enough but this has been going on all year haha. I really don't think the Canucks management is worried about showcasing when they are in quite the battle just to win the division.

#87 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Fair enough but this has been going on all year haha. I really don't think the Canucks management is worried about showcasing when they are in quite the battle just to win the division.

That seems the most likely to me too, I was just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. I expected Luongo and Schneider to finish the season as Canucks.

Posted Image

#88 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

at the time? he could have easily gotten that. there's 8 goalies in the league with a higher caphit than Luongo and none of them have ever been close to how good he was at the time when he signed that contract

#89 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

At the time when Luongo signed the contract he was worth the salary of a top goaltender.

Posted Image

#90 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well which teams need goaltending? Philly needs one, they have a few goal scorers last time I checked, Tampa Bay needs a goalie and they have some scorers, San Jose could possibly use a goalie if they want to go deep into playoffs. Washington is still a team that could possibly, but Holtby has been playing better so that one is a gamble for them still. Even Buffalo may want to make a move. New Jersey maybe, with Broduer near the end of his career. There are teams out there!

Philly could use one but Bryz would needed to be moved first. Wont happen until summer, also would cory be that much of an upgrade that they'd have to buy out/give away there goalie and also give up this "top goal scorer" That's a lot of assets leaving for an upgrade. Also goaltending isn't really the probably in philly

Same could be said with SJ and BUF. Would Cory be that much of an upgrade that they'd have to deal away there goalie and also give up this "top goal scorer". Again a lot of assets leaving for only an upgrade

Tampa Bay does need a goalie but at the same time there is another goalie of ours that would fit in much better off there. The have two young goalies, one of those is their 1 round pick who they fill will take over the crease in a few years. again Luongo would be a better fit. Also its not like they'd be will to trade their "top goal scores"

That leaves us with New jersey. They definately could be looking for a goalie. only problem is they are a very low spending team without cash to burn. Broduer has one year left on him contract where he will earn 5 million. They wont be likely be willing to pay 9 million in cash to goalie next season

There is a team that has assets and could use a goalie. NYI seem like they'd be a good fit. Only problem is most of their assets they'd be willing to move are young prospect that wont have a huge impact on our club for a while. not the smartest move when we'd be keeping our older goalie.

Yes cory would catch a better return. But in this market any return for a goalie is undervalued and if we are going to trade away our best goalie and our future all-star goalie, then we better get a way better deal then undervaluing him.

Luongo will get dealt but it most likely won’t happen till draft day when teams can see the value of their pick. Right now a good majority of teams are all but knock out of the playoff race (TB, FLA, PHI, BUF, WSH, EDM, CBJ, and PHX). Their first round pick could land anywhere from 1-10. A 10th overall pick can’t even be compared to a top 3 pick. Hence why they will want to wait, and it’s not like Luongo could propel any of those teams into playoffs this late in the season. Draft day Luongo will most likely end up in TB or FLA for a team’s higher end prospect that can help us in the future. This alone has more value than any option to consider trading our goalie of the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.