The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade the Sedins next season?

Super_Canuck

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Gretzky can be traded, then anyone can be traded. The Canucks have dealt Naslund, Bure and Linden in the past, so it goes to show that nobody is off limits.

Having said that, I think the Sedins should remain Canucks. I imagine their contracts will go down in the years to come, and they may be dropped onto the second line if players like Kesler become a stronger offensive presence. Their game seems to be evolving this year with Hank finding his shooting touch and both of them playing physically, i imagine in the years to come they will remain a key part of this team.

Let's be honest, the Sedins are getting older and aren't getting any better. While they'll still be very good players, they will no longer be amongst the best players in the league. IMO, they have peaked. If we try to trade them as a package, we could get a TONNE back in return which would be like a quick re-build.

So, would you trade the Sedins next year if it looked like the Canucks weren't an elite team anymore and also considering they would be pending UFA's? Or would you re-sign them to another extension and try to keep adding pieces to this current core and still try to win?

I'm not against a re-buid at all. I don't think we are going to win with this current core. Especially considering salary cap implications nowadays, we need to get good young talent that is cheap financially. We cannot afford to keep signing old veteran players to big money contract, or else we will end up like Calgary.

EDIT: This is not a Sedin bashing. They are true professionals in every sense of the word, both on and off the ice. I'm a big fan of theirs both as players and as human beings and think they've been a treat to watch the last couple of years and we have been lucky to have them on our team. No doubt they will go down as 2 of the best Canucks ever. What I'm talking about is business and the future of this team. Use your heads and not your hearts

Seriously, the Sedins have one of the best contracts in the league. These days 6m each for PPG or nearly PPG players both with Art Ross trophies is a steal, look what Perry and Getzlaf got. Especially respectable players like the Sedins. Instead of trading the Sedins let's continue to think about how we can build the Canucks around these stars.

For those that say the Sedins don't produce in the playoffs, guess who finished 2nd in playoff scoring in 2011? Henrik Sedin. Daniel finished 4th overall. Even last year both Daniel and Henrik averaged a pt per game in the playoffs, despite teh far too short playoff season.

For the last few weeks with our struggling power play (without Kesler) why not split the Twins, up see if Hank will start to shoot rather than pass.

Thus a "Sedin" on each of the two power play units. Might give the power play a whole different look, something they need. So far nothing else has helped. If it works it's a win, if it doesn't not much lost.

The Sedins should not be traded, and won't be, because if they are losing a step,they are such class players that they'd accept less money in a new deal. They would demote themselves to the second line (or accept the demotion to become essentially 1a and 1b.)

These are franchise players dedicated to Vancouver and the Canucks, and would do their utmost to help the team, even if it meant taking less money. We all know they could have gotten more elsewhere if they had tested the market in their first chance at UFA status.

Essentially, our team leaders are likely to remain as such for a long time to come. They play hard, but play smart, and the latter is something that will not decrease over time. They can be point a game producers for another ten years, barring severe injuries, due to their passing, cycling skills, and hockey intelligence. While production might slow, they will likely never slow beyond second line production until retirement.

So, to sum up, the Sedins are largely untradeable. They will likely bow out gracefully in ten years or so, having mentored a new top two lines, teaching them to confound the opposition with precision passing,and excellent puck possession skills. Their jerseys will most likely be retired with them, cup or no.

If they ask for a raise come time to resign, and are producing less, then you MIGHT have an argument. But while I don't have a magic 8 ball, I do have a decade of evidence of the Sedins character and drive to draw upon, and I can say with utmost confidence that this will not be the case...they will be resigning for the same or less, for long term, will continue to lead the team in scoring for a number of years, until a new first line emerges, or is traded for.

Not sure why everyone got so worked up about this. It's a reasonable question in light of recent events.

OP: the main difference between us and Calgary is this:

Calgary dosen't have a lot of quality prospects (23 on Hockey's Future) and they suck now.

Vancouver doesn't have a lot of quality prospects (26 on HF) and are an elite team now.

If we were in the flames position then it might be worth looking into. At this point, unless we blow the team up and decide to enter a rebuild, it is not happening.

If we were to entertain the idea of trading the twins we would hit a major snag as was already mentioned by EagleShield, you need to trade them as a package and not many teams are willing to take on that kind of a cap hit, and provide us with the type of picks/prospects we'd be looking for.

Archived