The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade the Sedins next season?

Super_Canuck

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's be honest, the Sedins are getting older and aren't getting any better. While they'll still be very good players, they will no longer be amongst the best players in the league. IMO, they have peaked. If we try to trade them as a package, we could get a TONNE back in return which would be like a quick re-build.

So, would you trade the Sedins next year if it looked like the Canucks weren't an elite team anymore and also considering they would be pending UFA's? Or would you re-sign them to another extension and try to keep adding pieces to this current core and still try to win?

I'm not against a re-buid at all. I don't think we are going to win with this current core. Especially considering salary cap implications nowadays, we need to get good young talent that is cheap financially. We cannot afford to keep signing old veteran players to big money contract, or else we will end up like Calgary.

EDIT: This is not a Sedin bashing. They are true professionals in every sense of the word, both on and off the ice. I'm a big fan of theirs both as players and as human beings and think they've been a treat to watch the last couple of years and we have been lucky to have them on our team. No doubt they will go down as 2 of the best Canucks ever. What I'm talking about is business and the future of this team. Use your heads and not your hearts

Not remotely comparable to Iggy. Even if trading the Sedins was a good idea (it's not) it's really not feasible. There are two of them and there is no way they would be traded to different teams. One team would have to give up a ton of assets. I just can't see anyone willing to part with what it would take to get them and we wouldn't part with them for anything that wasn't absolutely sure to set the team up for success for the future.

I fear that the Canucks will only get worse from here and not better. And if that happens, the Sedins will want out so that they can get another chance at winning the Cup. We'll have to blow up the team and start from scratch. I really do fear that the 2010-2011 Cup run was their first and last chance with this team.

I fear that the Canucks will only get worse from here and not better. And if that happens, the Sedins will want out so that they can get another chance at winning the Cup. We'll have to blow up the team and start from scratch. I really do fear that the 2011-2012 Cup run was their first and last chance with this team.

Trade them with Schneider, Higgins, Ballard & Edler to the Capitals for Ovie, Green, Brower Johansson, Holtby, 1st round and 2nd round.

Ovechkin-Kesler-Schroeder

Jensen-Johnansson-Brower

Raymond-Gaunce-Hansen

Weise - Lappy - Kassian

Green-Hamhuis

Bieksa-Garrison

Tanev-????

Luongo

Holtby

Not gonna lie, this thought has crossed my mind, but may be more a conversation a couple of years down the road.

The only downfall is they are a package deal, so would make it tough to move them, hopefully they don't have to move to another team to win a cup. (ala Raymond Bourque)

Twins are the face, would be tough to see them play elsewhere.

OP, the only stupid question is the one not asked, so legit question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MG say when he was first hired, that he couldn't build a Stanley cup winner around the twins?

Not a consideration since Canucks are a playoff team. If the Nucks were imploding like Buffalo...then maybe go the youth route. But for now...Sedins are first liners. I can see their production falling in the years to come but they will still be a dominant 2nd line. When their contract is up, I hope they'll sign something like a $4M per year type deal for a 3 years.

IF they decide they want to win a cup with another team (which I doubt)...then move them and reap the rewards.

They should end their careers as Canucks as long as they want to. Winning the cup is very important yes, but it takes a team. Trading them away does not solve the rest of our problems. I say keep them as long as they want to be part of the Canucks, the community and love our city.

Archived