Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 22 votes

Trade the Sedins next season?

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Poll: Trade the Sedins next season? (367 member(s) have cast votes)

Trade the Sedins next year?

1. Yes, let's get younger and build towards the future (51 votes [13.82%])

Percentage of vote: 13.82%

2. Voted No, they can still help us win the cup (318 votes [86.18%])

Percentage of vote: 86.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Why would we trade our most productive players? I never thought we'd have a better duo than Bertuzzi and Naslund, but then the Sedins earned the top line duties and are now the two best players in Canucks history. They'd still be productive in their 40s if they choose to stay in the NHL, maybe in a different role or less ice time. I don't think their game will decline any time soon considering the amount of hard work they put in night in and night out. We've already got some great prospects, it just depends on the rate of their development, but there is lots of potential.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#122 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

So we can what,..talk about diminishing returns annually when we then talk about trading away whoever we traded the Sedins for in the following season? And then keep trading down over and over again each season because surprise surprise...EVERYONE gets older after each year! :frantic:

Way to pull the blow-up-and-rebuild trigger prematurely in the dumbest way possible.

Edited by JelloIce, 28 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#123 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

So we can what,..talk about diminishing returns annually when we then talk about trading away whoever we traded the Sedins for in the following season? And then keep trading down over and over again each season because surprise surprise...EVERYONE gets older after each year! :frantic:

Way to pull the blow-up-and-rebuild trigger prematurely in the dumbest way possible.

This was one of my favourites.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#124 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Because their team sucks and he is the only guy who will fetch a decent return.... See the difference?

You're failing to see the context in which this proposition was delivered. The OP clearly postulates that IF the Canucks are declining next year and no longer among the league's elite, trading the Sedins may help to ignite a significant rebuild on the fly (paraphrasing); the OP then asks for your opinion on the matter and in true CDC fashion, the majority of you jump to conclusions without actually contemplating the question.

If this scenario were to unfold, it's unthinkable what the return might be. At the very least it would be 2 1st round picks, 2 young promising roster players and a promising prospect. That's the kind of return the Canucks could use in one fell swoop to restock the cupboard.

What this proposes is that not only do the Canucks trade the Sedins, but dismantle the rest of the core as well (Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis), but replaces with skill, youth and inexperience; this only happens if AV is no longer the coach.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 28 March 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#125 Singh_0122

Singh_0122

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

We shouldn't, don't think about it, the Sedin's choose to stay in the Canucks, by signing a contract, and please for the Sedin's sake someone take down the thread! Why would you even ask such a rotten question!? :picard: <_< :angry:

#126 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Heck no, they will finish their career as Canucks.

canucks141.png

#127 marc2001

marc2001

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

"The position we're in now, no one would call it ideal. [The trade] was forced by the situation. If we're standing in fourth [place], I don't think we'd be unloading a player of his abilities. Obviously, it's caused by the team."

Alex Tanguay on why the flames made a trade, and pretty much hints why a team like Vancouver dosent need to do something so drastic.

Edited by marc2001, 28 March 2013 - 11:48 PM.

RIP Luc Bourdon

#128 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

No. These guys are the twin faces of this franchise. They have been incredibly gracious to this team and city.

The Sedins are the only reason we've been able to pretend to be contenders. Without them, we'd be in the depths of the Western conference. We need them. There is no point trading them and no return that would help us win. We need to win NOW. The Sedins help us. If they want to stay, they deserve to.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#129 Butcher

Butcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sedins suck cuz they dont punch ppl in teh face. When they gonna punch ppl in teh face? We shud trade sedins for Hordichuck, win cup

#130 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Good luck getting a huge return because one team can not afford to give up what Gillis would want. The Sedin's are the type of guys who would play their entire career for one team. Which means they will probly take a decent pay cut to allow the Canucks the ability to get help via free agency. If MG gets a ridiculous offer for them. Say a young stud Dman who is in his ELC and a young two way centerman along with 2 draft picks. Of the first and second round variety. That would probably do it for me.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#131 FallenCR7A

FallenCR7A

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

Can't even believe this is a suggestion right now...we've stooped to new lows

Posted Image

Formerly pflaumEnSaft

#132 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Absolutely no. We are in a playoff spot. IF in a few years we look a bit like Calgary and Edmonton (Really hope not haha). Then yeah I'd would be a bit more willing to trade them so they can win the cup, but as long as we are in a playoff spot there is no point trading our 2 best forwards. I truly believe as long as the Sedins play here we will be in a playoff spot. I do believe we will get better and stay competitive, kinda like Detroit. And like Detroit we need to inject youth very soon or we will struggle when they retire (Detroit seems to be struggling a bit defensively last I checked - although I haven't watched many of their games lately so not I may be completely wrong :S)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#133 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

You should commit seppuku

You may choose between the bottle in front of me or a frontal lobotomy.

#134 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

People seem to forget how the Sedins were acquired in order to build this iteration of the team in the first place. We traded a previous Canuck untradeable, Trevor Linden - which brought us Bertuzzi, McCabe (which brought us a Sedin), and a draft who turned into Jarko Ruutu. Then we traded Bertuzzi to get Luongo. Unfortunately, we did not trade Luongo soon enough to get a vaue for him. We are nearly at that point with the Sedins. If we do not win this year, they should be traded - for their sakes and ours. They should get the chance to win the cup even if they are somebody else's second liners. If we wait too long, we will get no return because their contract will be too expensive to move for their diminishing value - exactly the same situation as Luongo. We will be strapped into huge cap commitments which yield us nothing of value.

#135 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Then why is Calgary now going to trade Iginla?

That's the difference between a cellar dweller and a playoff team. Playoff teams add, they don't subtract. Bottom feeders subtract in the hope of building a future.

The Sedins have signed below market value on every contract, given back to the community, been nothing but a class act, and have been here for well over a decade. That's the type of loyalty you reward by letting them stay as long as they want and retire here. As Detroit did with Yzerman and Colorado did with Sakic.
Posted Image

#136 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to trade them if the want to stay here. Once they start to decline, which I believe is coming up soon, they can still be effective 2nd liner's in this league. We can simply sign new players whenever that happens as our first line and use Sedins as our 2nd line. I don't really see anyone within our organization stepping up to 1st line role in the near future, not even Kesler. I still believe Sedins will be effective 1st lines for the next 2-3 years.

So, once their current contract is done, I say sign them to a 1-2 year deal, paying them whatever they deserve between 8-9 million, and the give them a 35 year + contract for like 5-6 years at a decent cap hit, say around 4 million.

#137 davydgoliath

davydgoliath

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

When their current contracts expire they will do the classy thing once again and re-sign for less than market value to help the team continue to have a chance at winning while mentoring our young players such as Jensen and Gaunce.

#138 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

These guys give us a very good chance to win the cup for the next 6 years at least. Let MG focus more on getting together a support cast for F@#K sakes. This is what we need more than anything. Get some balls MG and trade for some good players for once. OUR WINDOW IS CLOSING if it hasn't already.

Edited by JohnLennon, 29 March 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#139 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

In a couple years they are going to be the best 2nd line in the NHL why would you trade that away?

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#140 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Let's be honest, the Sedins are getting older and aren't getting any better. While they'll still be very good players, they will no longer be amongst the best players in the league. IMO, they have peaked. If we try to trade them as a package, we could get a TONNE back in return which would be like a quick re-build.

So, would you trade the Sedins next year if it looked like the Canucks weren't an elite team anymore and also considering they would be pending UFA's? Or would you re-sign them to another extension and try to keep adding pieces to this current core and still try to win?

I'm not against a re-buid at all. I don't think we are going to win with this current core. Especially considering salary cap implications nowadays, we need to get good young talent that is cheap financially. We cannot afford to keep signing old veteran players to big money contract, or else we will end up like Calgary.

EDIT: This is not a Sedin bashing. They are true professionals in every sense of the word, both on and off the ice. I'm a big fan of theirs both as players and as human beings and think they've been a treat to watch the last couple of years and we have been lucky to have them on our team. No doubt they will go down as 2 of the best Canucks ever. What I'm talking about is business and the future of this team. Use your heads and not your hearts

Hahahahaha...... Gawd, you're effing neurotic. Omg look what's happening to Calgary......that could happen to us, let's react!! I know let's trade away the best players we've ever had! In their bloody prime! Great effing idea!!!!

#141 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

People seem to forget how the Sedins were acquired in order to build this iteration of the team in the first place. We traded a previous Canuck untradeable, Trevor Linden - which brought us Bertuzzi, McCabe (which brought us a Sedin), and a draft who turned into Jarko Ruutu. Then we traded Bertuzzi to get Luongo. Unfortunately, we did not trade Luongo soon enough to get a vaue for him. We are nearly at that point with the Sedins. If we do not win this year, they should be traded - for their sakes and ours. They should get the chance to win the cup even if they are somebody else's second liners. If we wait too long, we will get no return because their contract will be too expensive to move for their diminishing value - exactly the same situation as Luongo. We will be strapped into huge cap commitments which yield us nothing of value.

Electricians shouldn't be GMs

#142 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Absolutely not!

The Sedins will finish their NHL careers here in Vancouver when they say so. Their numbers will then both be raised to join the other Canuck's Greats Smyl, Linden and Nazzy. They will go back to Sweden and finish with Modo.

The End.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#143 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Absolutely not!

The Sedins will finish their NHL careers here in Vancouver when they say so. Their numbers will then both be raised to join the other Canuck's Greats Smyl, Linden and Nazzy. They will go back to Sweden and finish with Modo.

The End.

This thread can now be locked.

+1
Posted Image

#144 z0rg

z0rg

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

This is how all of you will react when the Sedins are here for too long and we will have won 0 cups with them. Then you'll all be saying "omg, we should've traded them when they were worth something"

no we won't
Posted Image

#145 4thLineGrinder

4thLineGrinder

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

i mean, besides carry the offence through 2 presidents trophy seasons, what have they done for us lately?

#146 crossbar and in

crossbar and in

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

another reason to bring back the minus sign!

#147 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

no way lol if jagr can rip it up at the age of 41 I'm pretty sure sedins will still be producing for years to come.

Wow you just compared the Sedins to Jagr

Posted Image

#148 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Chuck Norris also one-times passes to himself while on breakaways. I guess if we're trading the Sedins for Chuck Norris we might be in business.

Get Mr T and his Al MacInnis like slapper thrown in and we could really make something happen.
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#149 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

The twins have hit the point where the only way they will be traded is if they ask to be. Yes, this could turn into the Iginla scenario a few years down the line, but to trade franchise players just as they are starting to decline is completely classless and would take this organization looks amateurish to the point where no one will want to come here to play.

this. not to mention the sedins aren't pace-type players.

Their skills are about knowledge, hockey intelligence, and vision. That isn't something that will decline when they turn 40, it's only physicality like pace that will.

The sedins are the type of player who should be able to stay consistently good very late into their career, like Jagr.

Edited by schneider, 29 March 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#150 NaSmAn15

NaSmAn15

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

shame on you for even bringing this up shame shame...sedins will always be canucks, have their numbers retire and end their careers as the best brother tandem in nhl history...

how dare you say they arnt getting any better, they've improved a lot this year in their physical play, and are still point per game players for a few more years, then look at alfredsson for the sens, and selanne for the ducks both are in the 40's now and still leading their teams with leadership n points, i see the sedins doing the exact same, sure at the end of their careers they wont be 1st line players, but they'll still be 2nd-3rd line players and be effective, by then, the canucks should have other legit 1st line players representing, like you said its a business, n the business side is to make money and sport side is win, the sedins are winners and help make our team money, never shall we trade the sedins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.