Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 22 votes

Trade the Sedins next season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
171 replies to this topic

Poll: Trade the Sedins next season? (367 member(s) have cast votes)

Trade the Sedins next year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

no way lol if jagr can rip it up at the age of 41 I'm pretty sure sedins will still be producing for years to come.

i agree with this. besides, sedins aren't even known as speedy/strong players. sure, reflex and athleticism goes down with age, but their chemistry, precision, and knowledge should stay still stay sharp

#152 NaSmAn15

NaSmAn15

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

i know this is a bit off topic, but wouldn't it been true class and canadian heart if iginla accepted a trade to the sens, both alfredsson and iginla have been captain of their canadian teams for years, both have brought their teams to the stanley cup finals only to come short in the end, now that both their careers are winding down, i would of loved to see iginla help push the sens to the cup, and try to bring the stanley cup back to canada, yes unfortunatly he wasnt able to bring it the flames, but iginla on the sens, could of made dreams come true in canada, would of been sweeter to see the sedins on the same line as iginla too, but seeing how the flams n nucks are rivals in the same division, i would of had even more respect for iggy if he accepted a trade to the sens...

#153 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to see them retire as Canucks. Besides, with their style of play, I can see them producing well until they're 40. It's not like they're crash & bang players whose bodies will be totally worn out in a few years.

#154 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

i know this is a bit off topic, but wouldn't it been true class and canadian heart if iginla accepted a trade to the sens, both alfredsson and iginla have been captain of their canadian teams for years, both have brought their teams to the stanley cup finals only to come short in the end, now that both their careers are winding down, i would of loved to see iginla help push the sens to the cup, and try to bring the stanley cup back to canada, yes unfortunatly he wasnt able to bring it the flames, but iginla on the sens, could of made dreams come true in canada, would of been sweeter to see the sedins on the same line as iginla too, but seeing how the flams n nucks are rivals in the same division, i would of had even more respect for iggy if he accepted a trade to the sens...

The sens but not the canucks? Yeah, okay buddy.

#155 King Heffy

King Heffy

Kessel's Beer Gut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,298 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Both have NMCs. They'll retire as Canucks, and rightly so.
Posted Image

#156 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

They will retire here. Why trade them when they will still be atleast 2nd line producers even into their 40's.

#157 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Man, you know CDC has gone off the rails when talks of trading the Sedins come up.

#158 Tornado

Tornado

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Not gonna happen.

Belgian Canucks Fan

#159 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

I don't know about them retiring here. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they played a season at MODO when they are done in the NHL.

Anyway, there are very few that could afford to deal for the two of them, and no one's going to want just one. We're talking a straight swap for Crosby, +. Either that or we get a bucketload of firsts as well as a top player.

titanic.png Proud member of 2016 tank nation!  :towel:

#160 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Huh?

#161 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

This is up there with the worst thread I've ever read.

The twins will retire Canucks.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#162 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

This is how all of you will react when the Sedins are here for too long and we will have won 0 cups with them. Then you'll all be saying "omg, we should've traded them when they were worth something"

Why the hell would you start a thread only to get into arguments with people who don't agree with you? If you've already made up your mind then what is the point of all this?

#163 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

You get rid of the Sedins and what kind of garbage of a team will we have?
Posted Image

#164 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Crack head

A leaf fan said he would hook him up if he made this thread LOL!

#165 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

The Sedin version of this team is past it; it's all down hill from here.

#166 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Go back to your cave or under the bridge you crawled out from under.

RIP LB RR PD

#167 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

They will retire here. Why trade them when they will still be atleast 2nd line producers even into their 40's.

Exactly.
They started on the second line. Developed into first liners. One day they may make room for a younger more dynamic first line and move down to the second again. They seem to be character guys that will accept that role when it comes and even another reasonable contract when their current one is up. No reason why these players, whose game does not depend on size or speed, cannot play until 40+.

The only way they will leave is if MG gets an incredible offer, and they could be convinced to waive their NTC, which they have said was more important than the money for them. And there is no way to guarantee that any new players coming back will mesh no matter how highly ranked they are. It would be a huge risk even with a stupidly awesome offer.

#168 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Just need to surround them with the right personal. The right mix of skill and toughness, then just hope they don't get injured. It seems like that's what kills them each year.

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#169 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

You're failing to see the context in which this proposition was delivered. The OP clearly postulates that IF the Canucks are declining next year and no longer among the league's elite, trading the Sedins may help to ignite a significant rebuild on the fly (paraphrasing); the OP then asks for your opinion on the matter and in true CDC fashion, the majority of you jump to conclusions without actually contemplating the question.

If this scenario were to unfold, it's unthinkable what the return might be. At the very least it would be 2 1st round picks, 2 young promising roster players and a promising prospect. That's the kind of return the Canucks could use in one fell swoop to restock the cupboard.

What this proposes is that not only do the Canucks trade the Sedins, but dismantle the rest of the core as well (Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis), but replaces with skill, youth and inexperience; this only happens if AV is no longer the coach.

Exactly!!

#170 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

People seem to forget how the Sedins were acquired in order to build this iteration of the team in the first place. We traded a previous Canuck untradeable, Trevor Linden - which brought us Bertuzzi, McCabe (which brought us a Sedin), and a draft who turned into Jarko Ruutu. Then we traded Bertuzzi to get Luongo. Unfortunately, we did not trade Luongo soon enough to get a vaue for him. We are nearly at that point with the Sedins. If we do not win this year, they should be traded - for their sakes and ours. They should get the chance to win the cup even if they are somebody else's second liners. If we wait too long, we will get no return because their contract will be too expensive to move for their diminishing value - exactly the same situation as Luongo. We will be strapped into huge cap commitments which yield us nothing of value.

Yup This ^^ exactly!

#171 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

shame on you for even bringing this up shame shame...sedins will always be canucks, have their numbers retire and end their careers as the best brother tandem in nhl history...

how dare you say they arnt getting any better, they've improved a lot this year in their physical play, and are still point per game players for a few more years, then look at alfredsson for the sens, and selanne for the ducks both are in the 40's now and still leading their teams with leadership n points, i see the sedins doing the exact same, sure at the end of their careers they wont be 1st line players, but they'll still be 2nd-3rd line players and be effective, by then, the canucks should have other legit 1st line players representing, like you said its a business, n the business side is to make money and sport side is win, the sedins are winners and help make our team money, never shall we trade the sedins

How dare i? lol get a grip buddy. A player like Linden, who was the face of the franchise was traded in his prime, did people not think he was an untouchable? Naslund was not even offered a contract after all he had done for this team, and he was also the face of the franchise at one point. These are just a couple of examples, these things happen, it's a business.

#172 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Let's be honest, the Sedins are getting older and aren't getting any better. While they'll still be very good players, they will no longer be amongst the elite players in the league. IMO, they have peaked. If we try to trade them as a package, we could get a TONNE back in return which would be like a quick re-build.

So, would you trade the Sedins next year if it looked like the Canucks weren't an elite team anymore and also considering they would be pending UFA's? Or would you re-sign them to another extension and try to keep adding pieces to this current core and still try to win?

I'm not against a re-buid at all. I don't think we are going to win with this current core. Especially considering salary cap implications nowadays, we need to get good young talent that is cheap financially. We cannot afford to keep signing old veteran players to big money contract, or else we will end up like Calgary.

EDIT: This is not a Sedin bashing. They are true professionals in every sense of the word, both on and off the ice. I'm a big fan of theirs both as players and as human beings and think they've been a treat to watch the last couple of years and we have been lucky to have them on our team. No doubt they will go down as 2 of the best Canucks ever. What I'm talking about is business and the future of this team. Use your heads and not your hearts

WHY?? So we could be like the LAMES or the Coilers?? The Sedins are the only players that make this team relevant in the NHL aside from Kesler. We might as well just trade everyone if we are trading the Sedins, since the rest of them have also "peaked" just like the Sedins. Canucks fans usually are a shortsighted bunch with low tolerance level and if we ever rebuild, Rogers Arena would be as empty as a church on a weekday afternoon.

Edited by Pouria, 30 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.