#2 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

POPULAR

I wonder what happened before the part where the video starts?

The guy was riding with no lights, no helmet, and ran through a red light at night. Not condoning what the cop did. But there is far more to this story that the video is not showing. For one, what did he do to be put into cuffs? He is no "innocent victim"

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#3 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,565 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

LMAO at the "resisting arrest".

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#4 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I wonder what happened before the part where the video starts?

The guy was riding with no lights, no helmet, and ran through a red light at night. Not condoning what the cop did. But there is far more to this story that the video is not showing. For one, what did he do to be put into cuffs? He is no "innocent victim"

True, but the cop also was at fault.

#5 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

You cannot say he is "no innocent victim" just like you can't say that he is innocent. All we have to work with is a video of an officer using what appears to be blatant unnecessary force by sucker punching the man in the face. He had another officer with him and the man was clearly not resisting.

Whatever led up to that moment is one thing but the officer was not in any apparent danger at all and used excessive force.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#6 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

True, but the cop also was at fault.

as I stated, I don't condone what the cop did. But if you want to talk fault , the guy riding his bike at night with no helmet, no lights, and running a red light is at fault for this situation. I still wonder what happened before the video started that warranted having him put into cuffs.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 March 2013 - 08:53 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#7 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

What exactly happened leading up to this incident? The video can only show so much.

#8 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

What exactly happened leading up to this incident? The video can only show so much.

According to the post on facebook:

So my friend Andi was riding his bike home (sober) 3 blocks in Yaletown late last night without a helmet or light on. He went through a red light at the bottom of Robson and Beatty as there was NO traffic there at all (3 way intersection in front of the Terry Fox Memorial). These cops pull him over, and this is what they do to him. I have a full 10m video, and I'm recommending that Andi presses charges. Please help prevent this sort of stuff from happening again by sharing this video / photos, and asking the VPD to investigate VPD Officer Bhabha #2703.

140an3r.jpg

#9 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

as I stated, I don't condone what the cop did. But if you want to talk fault , the guy riding his bike at night with no helmet, no lights, and running a red light is at fault for this situation. I still wonder what happened before the video started that warranted having him put into cuffs.

I agree.

#10 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hope they flashed thier badges first otherwise wow.

#11 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Cops are human. They make mistakes. If it turns out the video is exactly what it seems, then he should face justice. But just because his friend is telling one side of the story doesn't mean that's all there is to this or if he is even telling the whole truth.

I respect cops. It's a high stress job. Doesn't excuse sucker punching people though.
Posted Image

#12 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

According to the post on facebook:

So my friend Andi was riding his bike home (sober) 3 blocks in Yaletown late last night without a helmet or light on. He went through a red light at the bottom of Robson and Beatty as there was NO traffic there at all (3 way intersection in front of the Terry Fox Memorial). These cops pull him over, and this is what they do to him. I have a full 10m video, and I'm recommending that Andi presses charges. Please help prevent this sort of stuff from happening again by sharing this video / photos, and asking the VPD to investigate VPD Officer Bhabha #2703.

So the video is actually 10 mins long. Yet all we see is 2:42. The video starts with the guy getting punched 7 seconds in.

Looks like excessive force to me but I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole clip. I have a funny feeling the complete video may tell a bit of a different story.

#13 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

So the video is actually 10 mins long. Yet all we see is 2:42. The video starts with the guy getting punched 7 seconds in.

Looks like excessive force to me but I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole clip. I have a funny feeling the complete video may tell a bit of a different story.

Well I think that if the full video did tell a different side, he wouldn't choose to mention it.

#14 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Vancouver man filing complaint against VPD after punch

Posted Image

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – A Vancouver man is in the process of filing a complaint against the Vancouver Police after he was punched in the face in Yaletown last night.

Andi Shae Akhavan claims excessive force was used.

He was riding his bike home without a helmet and lights when he was stopped by officers. According to Akhavan, they were going to write him a ticket for running a red light.

He says some words were exchanged between him and an officer, and then he found himself getting handcuffed.

A friend of Akhavan caught the incident on video. “With both my arms behind me and from behind, he basically clocks me in the mouth, at which point I basically felt my tooth go through my lip, and I could feel the blood right away. I was like ‘I need stitches’. They sat me down and the video basically shows the rest of what happened,” Akhavan explains.

He says he is a non violent man that didn’t deserve getting punched.

He is trying to find a lawyer in order to make a formal complaint.

Deputy Police Complaint Commissioner Rollie Woods says he has reviewed the video and has communicated with the VPD Professional Standards Section to determine if this is in fact members of the Vancouver Police Department, and if it is then he will decide how to proceed.

News1130 has not heard back from the Vancouver Police.

The video has been posted on the News1130 Facebook page.

http://www.news1130....pd-after-punch/

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 27 March 2013 - 09:08 PM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#15 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Someone just punched his way to a paid vacation.

Two cops holding the guy from behind and he gets one in the jaw for good measure, and people want to know what happened before? Maybe he slept with the overzealous cop's mother and felt like bragging. What does it matter if he's not a threat and isn't resisting?
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#16 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Apparently. It obviously throws a different light on what happened. I bet it happens like most of these cases. I've seen one too many time where the guy with a camera watching tries to flaunt the law. He has a camera running so he tries to turn it into something against the police.

Funny, for his tooth apparently going through his lip there sure is a lack of blood

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 27 March 2013 - 09:14 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#17 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

eh that was something reactional. that's not even a real punch, i mean come on. OH THAT'S GOING ON TV RIGHT THERE, i hate people like that who stick their nose where it doesn't belong. if you're getting arrested, then cooperate. the cop felt he was struggling by pleading his case so he ticked him. nothing really coming out of that. it's not like the cop pulled out a baton and started wailing on the guy

15fitjt.jpg

#18 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Apparently. It obviously throws a different light on what happened. I bet it happens like most of these cases. I've seen one too many time where the guy with a camera watching tries to flaunt the law. He has a camera running so he tries to turn it into something against the police.

Funny, for his tooth apparently going through his lip there sure is a lack of blood

Sometimes the video could be handy.

eh that was something reactional. that's not even a real punch, i mean come on. OH THAT'S GOING ON TV RIGHT THERE, i hate people like that who stick their nose where it doesn't belong. if you're getting arrested, then cooperate. the cop felt he was struggling by pleading his case so he ticked him. nothing really coming out of that. it's not like the cop pulled out a baton and started wailing on the guy

No excuse for the cop to punch him regardless of what the man did before the video started. He had the man with his back turned with another cop by his side. And he felt it was alright to punch him? Seems like he was one of the guys in the tasering case.

#19 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

real enough to put his tooth through his lip and for him to immediately feel blood apparently.

140an3r.jpg

#20 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Sometimes the video could be handy.

No excuse for the cop to punch him regardless of what the man did before the video started. He had the man with his back turned with another cop by his side. And he felt it was alright to punch him? Seems like he was one of the guys in the tasering case.

like it said it was reactionary. the guy started to turn as he was getting cuffed. in some cases, when that happensm the suspenct ends up bolding. and it doesn't matter if there's no traffic around. the guy still broke the law. "i'm trying to get home as fast as possible" well getting arrested sure got him home fast enough

real enough to put his tooth through his lip and for him to immediately feel blood apparently.

mick foley pls

15fitjt.jpg

#21 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

agreed, but the cop just didn't haul off and hit him for no reason. There has to be a lot more to this. Interested to see what happens in the 7 minutes prior to this punch taking place.

140an3r.jpg

#22 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

It is clearly an assault.

265. Assault

265. (1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(B) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose;

Whether or not there was justification for the police officer (e.g.. reasonable force) will have to be determined. On the face of it form the video there appears no justification for the punch.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#23 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

agreed, but the cop just didn't haul off and hit him for no reason. There has to be a lot more to this. Interested to see what happens in the 7 minutes prior to this punch taking place.

it does not matter what occurred before.. At that point the suspect was in restraints and under control of two officers.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#24 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

no i think it was just that second when that guy started to turn as he was getting cuffed

15fitjt.jpg

#25 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Always amazing how many people rush to defend the actions of the police. As if only baby killing psychopaths get punched in the face by cops, who also shouldn't be punched in the face while apprehended by the police. Authoritarianism runs deep in conservative veins.
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#26 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

The day that cops only alternatives are to punch people in the face is a sad sorry day. C'mon, they have other techniques/tactics to use....or at least they should.

They are there to enforce the law, not break it. Last time I checked, an assault was an assault.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 27 March 2013 - 09:28 PM.
See Wet beat me to it.

Posted Image

#27 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

The day that cops only alternatives are to punch people in the face is a sad sorry day. C'mon, they have other techniques/tactics to use....or at least they should.

They are there to enforce the law, not break it. Last time I checked, an assault was an assault.

I agree, but this video is completely one sided at this point. There is apparently a 10 minute clip, why didn't he post that?

140an3r.jpg

#28 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I agree, but this video is completely one sided at this point. There is apparently a 10 minute clip, why didn't he post that?

One-sided yes. However, even if the man punched the cop before-hand, that doesn't matter in this case, because we don't have ANY proof (only the recorder, two cops, and the man know). What we do have proof of is the cop punching the guy, which is the centre of the discussion regardless of what happened before.

#29 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Always amazing how many people rush to defend the actions of the police. As if only baby killing psychopaths get punched in the face by cops, who also shouldn't be punched in the face while apprehended by the police. Authoritarianism runs deep in conservative veins.

I didn't read anyone defending the punch. I'm reading some people,like myself, wanting to know the whole story. If the guy was sucker punched like the video apparently shows, then the cop should be charged just like anyone else.

Saying that guy deserved to get punched would be defending his actions.
Posted Image

#30 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,348 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

What's the problem. The guy is a mouthy idiot.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.