The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VPD officer punches man in face

Kass9

I wonder what happened before the part where the video starts?

The guy was riding with no lights, no helmet, and ran through a red light at night. Not condoning what the cop did. But there is far more to this story that the video is not showing. For one, what did he do to be put into cuffs? He is no "innocent victim"

I wonder what happened before the part where the video starts?

The guy was riding with no lights, no helmet, and ran through a red light at night. Not condoning what the cop did. But there is far more to this story that the video is not showing. For one, what did he do to be put into cuffs? He is no "innocent victim"

You cannot say he is "no innocent victim" just like you can't say that he is innocent. All we have to work with is a video of an officer using what appears to be blatant unnecessary force by sucker punching the man in the face. He had another officer with him and the man was clearly not resisting.

Whatever led up to that moment is one thing but the officer was not in any apparent danger at all and used excessive force.

as I stated, I don't condone what the cop did. But if you want to talk fault , the guy riding his bike at night with no helmet, no lights, and running a red light is at fault for this situation. I still wonder what happened before the video started that warranted having him put into cuffs.

Cops are human. They make mistakes. If it turns out the video is exactly what it seems, then he should face justice. But just because his friend is telling one side of the story doesn't mean that's all there is to this or if he is even telling the whole truth.

I respect cops. It's a high stress job. Doesn't excuse sucker punching people though.

According to the post on facebook:

So my friend Andi was riding his bike home (sober) 3 blocks in Yaletown late last night without a helmet or light on. He went through a red light at the bottom of Robson and Beatty as there was NO traffic there at all (3 way intersection in front of the Terry Fox Memorial). These cops pull him over, and this is what they do to him. I have a full 10m video, and I'm recommending that Andi presses charges. Please help prevent this sort of stuff from happening again by sharing this video / photos, and asking the VPD to investigate VPD Officer Bhabha #2703.

So the video is actually 10 mins long. Yet all we see is 2:42. The video starts with the guy getting punched 7 seconds in.

Looks like excessive force to me but I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole clip. I have a funny feeling the complete video may tell a bit of a different story.

Vancouver man filing complaint against VPD after punch

punched-187x250.jpeg

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – A Vancouver man is in the process of filing a complaint against the Vancouver Police after he was punched in the face in Yaletown last night.

Andi Shae Akhavan claims excessive force was used.

He was riding his bike home without a helmet and lights when he was stopped by officers. According to Akhavan, they were going to write him a ticket for running a red light.

He says some words were exchanged between him and an officer, and then he found himself getting handcuffed.

A friend of Akhavan caught the incident on video. “With both my arms behind me and from behind, he basically clocks me in the mouth, at which point I basically felt my tooth go through my lip, and I could feel the blood right away. I was like ‘I need stitches’. They sat me down and the video basically shows the rest of what happened,” Akhavan explains.

He says he is a non violent man that didn’t deserve getting punched.

He is trying to find a lawyer in order to make a formal complaint.

Deputy Police Complaint Commissioner Rollie Woods says he has reviewed the video and has communicated with the VPD Professional Standards Section to determine if this is in fact members of the Vancouver Police Department, and if it is then he will decide how to proceed.

News1130 has not heard back from the Vancouver Police.

The video has been posted on the News1130 Facebook page.

Someone just punched his way to a paid vacation.

Two cops holding the guy from behind and he gets one in the jaw for good measure, and people want to know what happened before? Maybe he slept with the overzealous cop's mother and felt like bragging. What does it matter if he's not a threat and isn't resisting?

So the video is actually 10 mins long. Yet all we see is 2:42. The video starts with the guy getting punched 7 seconds in.

Looks like excessive force to me but I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole clip. I have a funny feeling the complete video may tell a bit of a different story.

eh that was something reactional. that's not even a real punch, i mean come on. OH THAT'S GOING ON TV RIGHT THERE, i hate people like that who stick their nose where it doesn't belong. if you're getting arrested, then cooperate. the cop felt he was struggling by pleading his case so he ticked him. nothing really coming out of that. it's not like the cop pulled out a baton and started wailing on the guy

Apparently. It obviously throws a different light on what happened. I bet it happens like most of these cases. I've seen one too many time where the guy with a camera watching tries to flaunt the law. He has a camera running so he tries to turn it into something against the police.

Funny, for his tooth apparently going through his lip there sure is a lack of blood

eh that was something reactional. that's not even a real punch, i mean come on. OH THAT'S GOING ON TV RIGHT THERE, i hate people like that who stick their nose where it doesn't belong. if you're getting arrested, then cooperate. the cop felt he was struggling by pleading his case so he ticked him. nothing really coming out of that. it's not like the cop pulled out a baton and started wailing on the guy

Sometimes the video could be handy.

No excuse for the cop to punch him regardless of what the man did before the video started. He had the man with his back turned with another cop by his side. And he felt it was alright to punch him? Seems like he was one of the guys in the tasering case.

Archived