The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VPD officer punches man in face

Kass9

eh that was something reactional. that's not even a real punch, i mean come on. OH THAT'S GOING ON TV RIGHT THERE, i hate people like that who stick their nose where it doesn't belong. if you're getting arrested, then cooperate. the cop felt he was struggling by pleading his case so he ticked him. nothing really coming out of that. it's not like the cop pulled out a baton and started wailing on the guy

The day that cops only alternatives are to punch people in the face is a sad sorry day. C'mon, they have other techniques/tactics to use....or at least they should.

They are there to enforce the law, not break it. Last time I checked, an assault was an assault.

I didn't read anyone defending the punch. I'm reading some people,like myself, wanting to know the whole story. If the guy was sucker punched like the video apparently shows, then the cop should be charged just like anyone else.

Saying that guy deserved to get punched would be defending his actions.

The day that cops only alternatives are to punch people in the face is a sad sorry day.  C'mon, they have other techniques/tactics to use....or at least they should.

They are there to enforce the law, not break it.  Last time I checked, an assault was an assault.

The point was made that the officer could have emplyed other means. I was hardly serious about that but it seems that something like this gets peoples hackles up more than tazer usage. Seems odd to me. On the other hand it's always advisable to be cooperative when dealing with authorities, or those just trying to help you.

The point was made that the officer could have emplyed other means. I was hardly serious about that but it seems that something like this gets peoples hackles up more than tazer usage. Seems odd to me. On the other hand it's always advisable to be cooperative when dealing with authorities, or those just trying to help you.

Strange, I thought the video showed a different story. Right before the cop clocks him you will see that he tries to pull his arm out from behind his back. It was a very quick reaction from the officer and probably not the right one but it was a reaction.

As people have already mentioned, perhaps he already received a verbal warning to stop resisting but the video starts too late to tell. Now if watching Cops has taught me anything it's that this would be the point where the suspect would normally be driven face first into the concrete. This cop chose another tactic, right or wrong.

So the police should always be held guilty until proven innocent? I continue to reserve judgement until the full story comes out, including the remaining 7.5 minutes of the video, and quotes of why a punch was thrown.

A cropped-up partial video does not tell the entire story, nor do quotes from only side of the incident.

Doesn't matter what else happened....there is no justifying an assault. Period. Cops arrest people who hit other people...what makes them immune from that? Nothing, that's what.

The cops have handcuffs for a reason...put them on the guy and it's a done deal. No need to hit someone.

Archived