The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Iginla to Pittsburgh

Tanev

I'll say it right now - people are overrating the Penguins big time. Iginla and Morrow were great in their day, but they are not the same guys now. Morrow especially is really a depth guy at this point. Iginla is better than that, but not near what he once was.

Look at their roster. It is all structured around Malkin and Crosby. Whoever plays with them, produces. Let's say Iggy goes into the top 6. Who's he gonna replace, Dupuis? Dupuis has 15 goals in 34 games. Iggy won't improve on that. And once Dupuis is away from Crosby/Malkin, he won't be as productive either. So the upside to this trade is fundamentally limited - there are only so many minutes with Crosby and Malkin to go around.

And as I've already said, their defense and goaltending is highly suspect. Fleury is probably the most overrated player in the league. (His career save percentage is 10 points lower than Luongo's.)

Look, Pittsburgh is a very, very good team. They were before these trades. But they have flaws, and these trades do nothing to address them. (Murray actually makes their defense worse by taking Despres out of the lineup.) They are very beatable. I would take Boston, Chicago and LA over them in a series right now.

It doesn't matter. You can't call it absolute until the papers are signed. This era of instant information has made people careless when trying to be the first to report a story. When TSN's homepage has a story that Iginla's been dealt to Boston, I expect that to be the truth.

Anywhere he wants.

Good for him! :)

Still think Calgary got screwed, but at least it is better than that Boston trade, guaranteed first rounder.

Still hoping the Canucks can make a splash coming up soon and put some pieces together for the playoffs. We aren't even close, and looking at Pittsburgh.. well, we're not even close. :P

I'll say it right now - people are overrating the Penguins big time. Iginla and Morrow were great in their day, but they are not the same guys now. Morrow especially is really a depth guy at this point. Iginla is better than that, but not near what he once was.

Look at their roster. It is all structured around Malkin and Crosby. Whoever plays with them, produces. Let's say Iggy goes into the top 6. Who's he gonna replace, Dupuis? Dupuis has 15 goals in 34 games. Iggy won't improve on that. And once Dupuis is away from Crosby/Malkin, he won't be as productive either. So the upside to this trade is fundamentally limited - there are only so many minutes with Crosby and Malkin to go around.

And as I've already said, their defense and goaltending is highly suspect. Fleury is probably the most overrated player in the league. (His career save percentage is 10 points lower than Luongo's.)

Look, Pittsburgh is a very, very good team. They were before these trades. But they have flaws, and these trades do nothing to address them. (Murray actually makes their defense worse by taking Despres out of the lineup.) They are very beatable. I would take Boston, Chicago and LA over them in a series right now.

Basically the Penguins are trying to emulate the dynasty era Oilers and outscore all their problems.

I'm not confident in their defense or goaltending.

Any team that gets that lit up in a playoff series against a weaker opponent has some issues.

After Orpik and Letang it gets mighty thin.

Douglas Murray is a pylon.

Archived