The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Iginla to Pittsburgh

Tanev

What's funny is Eckland's "rumor" about a player previously considered untrade-able being involved in an East/West trade pretty much hits the mark. Not that I'm defending, but he did drop that nugget fairly pre-emptively.

Is it a lucky guess? Who knows?

Seems that Pittsburg and Boston both really wanted iggy. Is the return they got all Calgary could really get? Seems like they should have got more then again maybe a lesson to teams to up the bids if you want to get the player.

This is GOOD for any potential Luongo trade considering Lu is locked in a good long term contract and iggy is set to expire his soon. Thats what lowered the value here. Also we have been dangling our bait much longer.

Seems that Pittsburg and Boston both really wanted iggy. Is the return they got all Calgary could really get? Seems like they should have got more then again maybe a lesson to teams to up the bids if you want to get the player.

This is GOOD for any potential Luongo trade considering Lu is locked in a good long term contract and iggy is set to expire his soon. Thats what lowered the value here. Also we have been dangling our bait much longer.

If GMPC actually was told he was getting Iginla and Feaster turned around & traded him to Pitts that makes him an even worse GM. I'm sure the Avs GM doesn't love him because of the RO'R, and now an eastern conference GM won't want to deal with him.

Not only did he not get enough for an elite winger, he ruined a relation in doing so...

I'd be pissed if I cared about the Flames.

If GMPC actually was told he was getting Iginla and Feaster turned around & traded him to Pitts that makes him an even worse GM. I'm sure the Avs GM doesn't love him because of the RO'R, and now an eastern conference GM won't want to deal with him.

Not only did he not get enough for an elite winger, he ruined a relation in doing so...

story_left_arrow.gifstory_right_arrow.gifText Size

Many believed on Wednesday night that the Boston Bruins had completed the acquisition of Jarome Iginla - including the Boston Bruins.

In a rare move, general manager Peter Chiarelli held a news conference on Thursday afternoon explaining the process of how the deal for the much-coveted Flames captain came together and fell apart.

"We made a firm offer two days ago and were told at Noon yesterday (Wednesday) that we'd won the Jarome Iginla sweepstakes so to speak," Chiarelli told reporters. "We believed that we had a deal."

The Bruins' offer for Iginla's services was believed to be defenceman Matt Bartkowski, forward Alex Khokhlachev and a first-round pick conditional on Iginla re-signing with the Bruins. Chiarelli even went so far as to scratch both players from their Boston and Providence lineups in anticipation.

But as the day went on, Chiarelli and the Bruins did not hear back from the Flames as both teams prepared for their respective games against the Montreal Canadiens and Colorado Avalanche.

"As the time went on, doubt started to grow," he explained. "You make efforts to call, but when nothing gets returned, you know something's going on."

The Bruins GM said he then received a call from the Flames at about 11:45pm et on Wednesday night saying that it was the "player's choice" and that Iginla was going to be dealt to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Chiarelli added that despite losing out on Iginla last-minute, the team was still looking to make improvements ahead of next Wednesday's trade deadline. "There's players out there," he said. We're in on players. You get back on your horse, you go out there and you find some more players."

Pens arguably paid more for Morrow then for Iggy.

Oh to be a fly on the wall, well, anywhere in Beantown this morning :lol: . Might have to go check out their forums for a laugh. Gotta say the last few days have been exciting even if GMMG hasn't been a part of it (yet).

Archived