The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What could've Van offered for Iginla?

Super_Canuck

Rodin and Sauve are college players? really?! In what world? Rodin and Sauve are both better then what Pitt gave them and all this divisional crap doesn't matter as much as before. You take the best deal possible, even if that is from a rival.

Hanowski and Agostino are the two college players I'm talking about :sadno: Our equivalent would be along the lines of two of Labate, Hutton, Price (now in Chicago), McNally, or even Beattie. Again, two of those and a first rounder.

If Vancouver wanted Iginla from Calgary they would've had to have given up a lot more than Rodin (has not found success in NA, likely returning to Sweden next season) and Sauve (long-term project). So then, in what world does that and a first get a divisional rival to give you their star player?

Well, Jay Feaster is the GM of the Flames so I think that we could have had a chance at Iginla if we gave up two average prospects and a first...

Pittsburg gave up two random prospects that not many people have heard of...Why would we have to give up a top prospect? I think we could have given the Flames a couple college prospects without hurting our chances of winning in the future. We do have Schneider or Luongo to trade for prospects if we need...

WHOA! Did Calgary just get hosed or what? Did they really just make this deal? Iginla for a couple of no-name, un-heard of prospects and a late 1st rd pick? WTF?! I for sure thought they would demand more. Now this got me thinking, if it took so little for the Pens to obtain Iggy, what could've the Canucks offered to the Flames? I know we weren't on his trade list but perhaps if we had made an offer, Calgary could've at least discussed it with Iginla?

Highly unlikely that Feaster would have entertained an equivalent offer (to what Pittsburgh traded) from the Canucks. Vancouver would have needed to present a serious overpayment before any trade would have even been brought to Iginla for his approval.

But for gits'n'shiggles, an equivalent offer from the Canucks would have been something like Rodin, Labate, and a 1st.

EDIT: funny how I ended up duplicating HowWeiseAreYou's valuation a couple posts earlier (wasn't there when I started writing). Great minds, I suppose (or possibly something less flattering to both of us)? Although I'm talking about an equivalent offer on Iginla (and not Luongo).

And funny how the whole "list" thing the media was pushing turned out to be a bit of an overstatement. Obviously, there was no list of teams that Iginla submitted that he would simply accept trades to. If there was, he'd be a Bruin right now. Maybe there was a list of suggested teams but most likely there were just some conversations with Iggy's agent about his preferences. Ultimately, because of his NMC, any potential trade was subject to Iginla's final approval or refusal and he chose only to approve a move to the Penguins (and he refused to approve a move to the Bruins, and possibly rejected the LA Kings as well, depending on who you believe--LA was rumoured to have offered the best package: goalie Jonathan Bernier plus Tyler Toffoli, the Kings' top prospect).

Pretty low return but Feaster was in a very weak position as, when the dust finally cleared on tonight's ****storm, it really looks like Iginla only had one team on his "list" and the Flames had to either accept what the Pens offered or risk getting zero returns (when Iggy refuses to approve any other move). "Something is better than nothing," I suppose, but it must be a bitter pill for Flames fans to swallow in watching their captain and the best player in franchise history move to a top contender and only see this kind of return come back in the process.

Here's hoping that Luongo doesn't have a similar "list" (where he suggests he's open to a few destinations but really will only approve a move to Florida) because, if that's indeed the case, we'd better get ready for similarly disappointing returns if/when Lu finally heads back to Margaritaville.

Archived