The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo appreciation thread in case he gets traded at D.L.

danjr

Best Goalie to wear a Canucks uniform without a doubt, but to be honest there isn't a whole lot of competition in that department. A great goalie for sure but that's irrelevant, it's that contract. That contract has made moving an aging goaltender to make room for the goalie of the future and getting a decent return out of the deal Sisyphean task if ever there was one.

I appreciate Roberto and everything he's done, including helping the Olympic team to win gold right here in Vancouver. He's a consummate professional and I hope a deal gets done soon for his sake.

It'll be an awful thing for me...have come to really love Lu. Had the great pleasure of sitting ice level just to his right for a number of games and really got to see what a pro he was.

Remember when we acquired him and I went "who?"....my son quickly brought me up to speed on how amazing it was to be getting this guy.

A poker player, I could relate to that. A sense of humour that many inaccurately interpreted at the start, thinking it was ego or a sense of smugness or something...I read between the lines and saw something different. I like sarcasm and people who can poke fun at themselves. Who, while taking things so seriously can communicate them with an underlying sense of humour. My cousin is a huge Lu fan(atic) and she wouldn't hear of anything negative about Lu...had me on the same track as that and so I refused to believe that this guy was anything BUT a team player. He wore his heart on his sleeve.

But, I'll put it into his terms...can't make a video because I'm lame but from my easy chair, I turn to the page and read:

Luuuuuuuuu

I shall really really REALLY miss you

The End.

I will always remember when he first arrived for the 2006-2007 season.That cockiness that was missing from our past goalies. And of course his first year, when the Canucks were not even projected to make the playoffs. They made it in a large part owing to Luongo.

And then Lu's first playoff series with the Canucks in against Dallas. From Wikipedia:

The Canucks opened the 2007 playoffs with a quadruple-overtime win against the Dallas Stars. Ending at the 138-minute mark, the game was the longest in club history and the sixth-longest in league history.[86] The Canucks also set a league record for shots against in one game, allowing 76.[87] Vancouver won the series in seven games despite a lack of goal-scoring.

Luongo was the best player in that series. And I believe this photo was taken after the seventh game win. I'll always remember it:

canucks.jpg

Luongo is and will always be my favourite player.

Whichever team he goes to if he gets traded, will be my 2nd favourite team. (Even if its the leafs.)

Going to miss you Luongo, thank you for being a big part in turning this team into a perennial cup contender.

I hope he gets one more game before the DL so I can LUUUUUUU one more time.

Luo is the best goalie the Canucks have ever had hands down (and glove hand out of no where up!) He also seems like a great person and a wonderful teammate. I'm really going to miss seeing him in a Canucks uniform, but if/when he gets traded I wish him nothing but luck and success with whatever team is lucky enough to land him.

Archived