Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo appreciation thread in case he gets traded at D.L.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#91 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I think it sucks how management has treated Luongo. Players will see this and not want to come to Vancouver under Gillis' regime.

How have the management eated him poorly??

By having a stud goalie prospect turn into a starter???

Dont turn this into an anti gillis thread

#92 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

It just blows my mind how NOW the fans are starting to "wish him luck" and say how much they'll miss him. Why couldn't everyone done this in June 2011?

To be fair, for every cat call Luongo got from the crowd in his tenure, there was like 100:1 "Lou" chants in between. There's no doubt Canadian markets are hard on goalies, but come on, it's not like he was universally hated. He was criticized because he was such a key part of our team, sure, but that's just what comes with the territory of being a starting goalie in a Canadian city that has an NHL team. I think Luongo realizes that exact point and that's why he's took this whole situation in stride and has handled it like the professional he is.

#93 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

I think some of you guys who are saying Cory has a chance of being traded too are delusional or just wishful.

this is what I think will happen, Luongo will not be moved and they will keep them both for this year and the playoffs.

Schneider will be in the exact same situation as Luongo was last year, he will be our starter and it will be his job to lose.

If he falters then it's last years exact situation except reversed, Luongo gets the starting job back and Schneider gets dealt

Edited by Primus099, 30 March 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#94 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#95 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,289 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

One of the best goalies to put on a Vancouver jersey. It's not Lu's fault Gillis signed him to a million year contract, and that a younger, cheaper goalie is currently outplaying him.

Note to Gillis. Very few goalies remain elite their whole career. I'm glad the NHL has put in contract restrictions on length of term.

If Gillis had signed him to a 5-6 year deal front loaded, I bet he would have been gone in the offseason.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#96 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Luongo is the best goalie this franchise has ever had. Cory has big shoes to fill.
Posted Image

#97 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Luongo is the best goalie this franchise has ever had. Cory has big shoes to fill.
Posted Image

#98 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

So good you said it twice. ;)

#99 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I remember when my brother and I were talking in the car once, discussing what it would be like to get a world-class goalie like Nabokov (at least at that time), Turco (again at that time), or Luongo. Funnily enough, a month or two later, the Canucks acquired him.

I also love how he is lower on the TOI ranking but higher on shutouts and the like. Means he is better than many on that list that is "above" him.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#100 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Mr. Polar opposite

A player that fans hold higher than the team.

A player that fans hold lower than the team.

A player that dominated.

A player that got dominated.

he is Grossly Overrated.

He is Grossly Underrated.

Cap hit good

Cap hit long.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#101 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

He's nothing but class. We are going to miss him if/when he leaves!
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#102 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

With the exception of the Linden/McLean picture, this goes down as my most memorable Canuck photo of all time.

Yeah that shot of him raising his stick in the air...it was like "Have no fear Vancouver, Roberto is here!" He really exuded confidence and he even made a statement that he would be bringing the Cup to Vancouver. Too bad it never was to be.

edit: (I guess it is still possible if MG can't deal him and/or Cory gets injured *knock on wood)

On another note, Can we please leave the Cory vs. Luongo crap out of this one thread? I've made no bones about the fact that I prefer Cory over Roberto moving forward for reasons I'm not going to repeat here. But it doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he's done here for the city, the fans, and the team. He deserves a dedicated appreciation thread.

Edited by kilgore, 30 March 2013 - 04:18 PM.

516ltt.jpg

#103 danjr

danjr

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Wow I am so happy most the haters stayed out of this thread.
Thanks to all the true Canucks fans who endorse our players.

I still remember luo's first game as a Canuck, one of the best games I ever watched. I was on such a huge adrenalin high.
Some of his games were just beautiful to watch. As someone said, he brought us from the cellar to the penthouse.......I would like to make an addendum to that.========TWICE.
The plethora of gorgeous hardware we recieved those two years were by a huge part him, and the Sedin's. To me those will be like the glory years of 82 and 94.
Calling dibs on a Presidents trophy. Boy did I call that right X2.

#104 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,568 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

This season has been a complete letdown honestly.

Trying to come to terms with myself that Luongo, the reason I started watching hockey and became so passionate about it, will inevitably be traded as well as putting down the kool-aid and realizing that our Cup window may be closed for this next while. It kills me when I see him sitting on the bench, knowing he should be a starter, if not in Vancouver at least let it be elsewhere. Let him play to his capabilities and strengths, the majority of us (I hope) realize what a stellar goal-tender he is, and above all, the great human he is as well.

I am so grateful that I began watching when Luongo took over and single-handedly brought the team to the play-offs that year. I could not have ever apprehended how those who had watched hockey for years and years, were now presented with this godly goal-tender. We as fans were most confident we would one day win a Cup in Vancouver with Lu, but things don't always work out the way we intend them to and that's alright. The Cup run was absolutely brilliant, and Lu was a major component of that, as well as our skilled team. I still get shivers down my spine in R1G1 when I think of that save on Patrick Sharp in OT... He had the game on his stick, and Lu the very polarized player in Van made the save and showed everyone why he was #1. The Boston series was a rollercoaster as every game relied on Luongo more, but it was a heart breaker when it was over because for once we all wanted the haters to shut up and Luongo to rise. Luongo would now follow this unwarranted criticism from the finals for the rest of his career.

I would wish nothing more but for him to stay as a Canuck until he retires but it seems like his time in Vancouver is up and I simply cannot see him play as a back-up in the playoffs. He is a #1 goalie and should be played that way accordingly. A little part of me hopes that Schneider gets traded instead, although I know it's pretty much impossible but it's just difficult to part with Lu. MG needs to act fast and leave Vancouver with one #1, this is getting to the point where it's unbearable.

To Lu, thanks for inspiring many Canucks fans to begin watching, playing and continuing on with their lives (the lady with cancer who looked to Luongo for inspiration). You will always mean a lot to this franchise and wherever it may be, you deserve to raise a Cup.

Farewell.

#105 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

This season has been a complete letdown honestly.

Trying to come to terms with myself that Luongo, the reason I started watching hockey and became so passionate about it, will inevitably be traded as well as putting down the kool-aid and realizing that our Cup window may be closed for this next while. It kills me when I see him sitting on the bench, knowing he should be a starter, if not in Vancouver at least let it be elsewhere. Let him play to his capabilities and strengths, the majority of us (I hope) realize what a stellar goal-tender he is, and above all, the great human he is as well.

I am so grateful that I began watching when Luongo took over and single-handedly brought the team to the play-offs that year. I could not have ever apprehended how those who had watched hockey for years and years, were now presented with this godly goal-tender. We as fans were most confident we would one day win a Cup in Vancouver with Lu, but things don't always work out the way we intend them to and that's alright. The Cup run was absolutely brilliant, and Lu was a major component of that, as well as our skilled team. I still get shivers down my spine in R1G1 when I think of that save on Patrick Sharp in OT... He had the game on his stick, and Lu the very polarized player in Van made the save and showed everyone why he was #1. The Boston series was a rollercoaster as every game relied on Luongo more, but it was a heart breaker when it was over because for once we all wanted the haters to shut up and Luongo to rise. Luongo would now follow this unwarranted criticism from the finals for the rest of his career.

I would wish nothing more but for him to stay as a Canuck until he retires but it seems like his time in Vancouver is up and I simply cannot see him play as a back-up in the playoffs. He is a #1 goalie and should be played that way accordingly. A little part of me hopes that Schneider gets traded instead, although I know it's pretty much impossible but it's just difficult to part with Lu. MG needs to act fast and leave Vancouver with one #1, this is getting to the point where it's unbearable.

To Lu, thanks for inspiring many Canucks fans to begin watching, playing and continuing on with their lives (the lady with cancer who looked to Luongo for inspiration). You will always mean a lot to this franchise and wherever it may be, you deserve to raise a Cup.

Farewell.

Well said, I can appreciate what he was and the hope he gave. We will know in a number of day what his future holds.

I'm still hoping he is moved for his as well as our sake but I have to admit when he was on his game he could carry the team on his back.

#106 DisplacedBCfan

DisplacedBCfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

This thread is not necessary. No one wants Luongo and his ridiculous contract. Schneider will be gone before Luongo if anything.

#107 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Lui, if you do get traded before Apr 3rd, I honestly don't want the Canucks to win the Cup this year. It would be too bittersweet to not have you pick up that Cup and skate around the rink.

#108 winter

winter

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Lui, if you do get traded before Apr 3rd, I honestly don't want the Canucks to win the Cup this year. It would be too bittersweet to not have you pick up that Cup and skate around the rink.

Dw they wont.. :/

#109 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

But would you want Lou to win it with his new team?

#110 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

But would you want Lou to win it with his new team?

considering how things go for the Canucks that is probably exactly what would happen

#111 Hominid

Hominid

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

GTFO bandwagoner

#112 radereb

radereb

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have always been a Luongo supporter and I will always cheer for him regardless if he is a Canuck or someone else.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.