The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) Canucks, Leafs are back talking again

Bobcat is liked as much as he is disliked. What was it today, he doesn't respect what Iginla did. Damian Cox is often on his show and he was one of the key reporters suggesting Kadri was on the table. If you have followed Kadri over the past few years and how Burke defended him as a legit first rounder then if you think a bit and combine that with what other reporters were saying which was that Kadri was a no touch then you pretty much 'know' the facts. Remember as well the boys at Sportsnet and TSN report on the news but one of their big jobs is to 'drum up business' by telling half-truths or outright lies. They are in some ways not that different from Eklund. Vancouver is always a popular target for these guys to pull things out of mid-air.

why doesn't gillis call up NYI and say he will take Dipietro and buy him out if he does:

Luongo

Booth

for

Bailey

Matt Martin

2014 1st/2013 1st/Brock Nelson

we send a buy out to NYI, we totally improve our team now and in the future, we take back a buyout but Gillis saves Aquilini roughly 16 mill

A 3rd line center is not what we should be looking for if we are moving Luongo. If we happen to get one to sweeten the pot, then sure.

I'd be happy with dealing a low draft pick to Phoenix for Matthew Lombardi to see what he can do.

why doesn't gillis call up NYI and say he will take Dipietro and buy him out if he does:

Luongo

Booth

for

Bailey

Matt Martin

2014 1st/2013 1st/Brock Nelson

we send a buy out to NYI, we totally improve our team now and in the future, we take back a buyout but Gillis saves Aquilini roughly 16 mill

You're underplaying what Franson adds - first he is an RFA, and with the cap dropping, it's going to be exceedingly difficult to fit Ballard in. I'm not anxious to move Ballard, but Franson is a sensible fit - and that will need to be addressed in the very near future.

Second he's a big, young right handed guy who has a decent two way game, some offensive upside and is probably going to continue to improve, particularly with a solid partner.

I know you're a big Bozak advocate, but the potential of lost value is significant, so your point about wasting assets elsewhere is pretty much a lost one. The uncertainty of Bozak's intentions or his contract demands don't make him a worthwhile centerpiece, let alone the fact that his realistic rental value is nowhere near what Toronto is peddling.

Getting a guy like Goc would not be a waste of assets - his cap hit is 1.7 for the next few years, and he's a known quantity where the 3C role is concerned. In the mode that Tallon is in, and his history with MG, it's hard to believe that a reasonable deal isn't possible. Or alternatively, I'd rather give up a mid round pick for a solid shutdown and faceoff guy like Boyd Gordon as opposed to waste the bulk of Luongo's value on Bozak under the circumstances. If the Leafs and Bozak were prepared to do a sign-and-trade with known parameters, Bozak would be a more reasonable offering as a centerpiece, but that doesn't appear to be what is on the table.

But back to the article, Cox is quite correct. Lu is not the only option. Gillis has to make it appealing for the Leafs to trade for him.

Luongo

late-round pick

for

Reimer (we need a backup goalie)

Bozak

mid-round pick

At this point I'm happy with that.

I'd go for Bozak, and Holzer or John-Michael Liles (not Gardiner but Lu's value won't get him anyways; J.M. could be an improved PP QB that the team could use along with a skilled center like Bozak); I don't think Holzer would be much different from the other tough D we have but J.M. could go well with Garrison on the PP IMO. This is of course if Ballard gets moved.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Liles - Garrison

I understand what Franson brings, thats why I said I doubt the Leafs move him.

I just don't think he is a need, yeah I agree he is an upgrade on Ballard due to cap reasons for next year, but thats next year, right now we don't need another Dman. Now that Garrison has slid over to the right side to play with Hammer, I don't see adding a right side guy as a need, and I think it is a great thing Garrison works there, cause thats an exceptional shutdown pair IMO. And it leaves Bieksa and Tanev as the other 2 right side guys.

Bozak's rental value is different in a trade when u are using him to trade up for an asset of greater value. Since we are getting him as part of a package, not as a rental, Toronto wouldn't ship him off as a rental either way. And we can add a conditional pick if he doesn't re-sign. So there, no loss of an asset. And it is a major upgrade right now on our cup chances, and saves us cap space & a big contract moving forward, which is somewhat of an asset in itself.

And we don't really know what is on the table. There is probably a good opportunity that Bozak comes here and re-signs at a decent price. Goc on the other hand would probably cost atleast a 2nd. Maybe more if there is interest. And I think Bozak is the better player and better fit of the two. There are ways to get around that lost asset thing, and its not a sure thing we will lose an asset, plus there will be added value in a future or 2, and losing Lu's contract. There is really alot of upside in it.

So SO happy none of you are the Canucks GM. Loving the under valuing of a top starting goalie though. It's amazing that to many of you a proven goalie is worth less than a forward who until this year was the butt of jokes.

Stay the course Gillis. A proven commodity that is under control for years at a reasonable cap hit, term that is long but if the guy retires early his new team has zero risk, is worth way more than what a rental Iggy brought the flames.

bozak, franson, pick for lu.

Then go for Ribeiro

Toronto is obviously making a push if they trade for Lu, so avoiding the loss of roster players is probably one of their priorities. Shore up some future assets for Lu and then turn around and move them for roster players. Besides Toronto doesn't have the most attractive pieces that Canucks need now anyways.

Toronto is obviously making a push if they trade for Lu, so avoiding the loss of roster players is probably one of their priorities. Shore up some future assets for Lu and then turn around and move them for roster players. Besides Toronto doesn't have the most attractive pieces that Canucks need now anyways.

Archived