The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else miss the old Canucks?

Merely

honestly once naslund was KO'ed he was never really the same, neither was bertuzzi, for obvious reasons but i wouldn't even consider that "old canucks" since we have people here who remember the days of linden and smyl, etc. i started watch around 1994 and thought trevor linden was the most badass person ever, despite being 6 years old. but the west coast extress years were exciting, i'll give it that

not at all. of all the frustrating teams this organization has fielded, that was perhaps the most frustrating "good" era. the disappointing playoff performances, the lack of depth in the squad, and the godawful goaltending all combined to make the team both exciting but extremely disappointing. i'd much rather have the skill and grind of the early-mid 90s, or the depth and talent of recent years.

i miss bertuzzi. always loved him and always will. the rest of the team, however, not so much.

The WCE was a fun deal. I also miss Jovo and the passion he brought to the game (never forget that penalty)....sorry to see he's having to have hip (?) surgery and won't play again this season.

The Linden comment ^ - perfect. Heart and soul. I grew very attached to our '94 roster - that was also a great group of guys.

But I also do love this team - we'll look back one day and say "remember how awesome the Sedins were?...how Burr clicked with them and came through in clutch situations?"....he's right up there close to Linden for me. Bieksa will remain one of my all time favourites.

People who complain don't understand that there were even times that there was talk about the team being no more, moving, etc. I appreciate having this team to cheer for, period.

I have to admit my mind has wandered more than once over the past 5 or 6 games back to the days of the WCE. It was an exciting team to watch but not one for the faint of heart, and ultimately when you start to recall all the details, a frustrating experience. I think Charles Dickens had some words to that effect. The early 2000s is when I lost most of my hair.

The last few years have been really good, some of the best, for the franchise and continue to be. Injuries and question marks hamper the team right now but we are watching one of the most successful incarnations of the Canucks these past 5 years. With the right moves there will be another five.

It is a good time to be a Canucks fan. :towel::canucks::towel:

I miss the '81-'82 Canucks... Halloween sweaters, and all! That team was not very talented. It was successful because of heart, stupid good goaltending and getting "hot" at the right time... Did I mention heart?

The team finished 3 points below .500 and squeaked into the playoffs. You guys all know the story. Talent on this team? Gradin, Smyl, Fraser, Boldiev, Hlinka... Kevin McCarthy, Lars Lindgren and Doug Halward on the back end. Grit? OMG! Williams, Rota, Molin, Lupul, Delorme, Snepsts, Crawford, Campbell, Nill, Bubla. Kids like the D of Eldebrink, Schliebener, Belland, Lanz... Where do I include BJ McDonald, Ollie Brasar and Rick Heinz in all of this?

And of course, King Richard!

These guys beat the crap out of their opponents and got 11 playoff wins before bowing to the Islanders dynasty. I know the game has changed, but, a team built like this might do well in today's game (see Bruins and Kings)?

With a returning Kesler and a Deadline deal, might the '12-'13 Canucks pull off an '81-'82 2.0? One keeper plain lights out? Check. Decent defense with a little offense and a little grit. Check. Good top 6 (with Kes)? Check. Bottom 6 with a little size and the ability to piss off a few guys along the way? Check. 6 wins in a row, all in playoff style. Let's get behind this team and see if we, the fans, can inject a little energy into the team. That's the biggest difference to me... The old, raucous (in the 81-82 playoffs) Coliseum vs. the bigger, but less energy-filled Rogers Centre.

Too bad we couldn't bring Roger Nielson back for the playoff run!

Stranger things have happened, CDC.

Never.

Bertuzzi was a solid Canuck, and fan favorite, up until the Moore incident. My favorite Canuck at the time immediately turned into my least favorite Canuck. I was embarrassed as I watched that night's events unfold.

Bertuzzi is a criminal, IMO. I know I'll get totally flamed for saying so, but, it's how I feel.

I miss the '81-'82 Canucks... Halloween sweaters, and all! That team was not very talented. It was successful because of heart, stupid good goaltending and getting "hot" at the right time... Did I mention heart?

The team finished 3 points below .500 and squeaked into the playoffs. You guys all know the story. Talent on this team? Gradin, Smyl, Fraser, Boldiev, Hlinka... Kevin McCarthy, Lars Lindgren and Doug Halward on the back end. Grit? OMG! Williams, Rota, Molin, Lupul, Delorme, Snepsts, Crawford, Campbell, Nill, Bubla. Kids like the D of Eldebrink, Schliebener, Belland, Lanz... Where do I include BJ McDonald, Ollie Brasar and Rick Heinz in all of this?

And of course, King Richard!

These guys beat the crap out of their opponents and got 11 playoff wins before bowing to the Islanders dynasty. I know the game has changed, but, a team built like this might do well in today's game (see Bruins and Kings)?

With a returning Kesler and a Deadline deal, might the '12-'13 Canucks pull off an '81-'82 2.0? One keeper plain lights out? Check. Decent defense with a little offense and a little grit. Check. Good top 6 (with Kes)? Check. Bottom 6 with a little size and the ability to piss off a few guys along the way? Check. 6 wins in a row, all in playoff style. Let's get behind this team and see if we, the fans, can inject a little energy into the team. That's the biggest difference to me... The old, raucous (in the 81-82 playoffs) Coliseum vs. the bigger, but less energy-filled Rogers Centre.

Too bad we couldn't bring Roger Nielson back for the playoff run!

Stranger things have happened, CDC.

Archived