The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Some Big-hitting 3rd Liners

It doesn't look like MG is going to be able to snag a high-end forward for the Canucks, but here's some guys who all factor in the top-100 in the league in hitting and could be really useful for the Canucks' depth in the playoffs. Right now we have 3 guys in the top-100 (Kassian barely makes it). Plus, these guys shouldn't cost us all that much.

Right now we have Lapierre only just cutting the top-30 in hits in the league, with Weise quite a ways behind him. This team lacks physicality up front, especially with small guys like Raymond, Hansen, Ebbett, Schroeder and now Gordon. We're going to need some big hitters, especially for the playoffs, and here are some of them that can be had cheaply.

C Steve Ott - 18 points, 6'0", 190lbs - 139 hits

RW Colin McDonald (Islanders) - 13 points, 6'1", 210lbs - 90 hits

C John Mitchell (Avalanche) - 16 points (9 goals), 6'1", 204 lbs - 70 hits

C Martin Hanzal - 16 points in 25 games, 6'6", 234lbs - 59 hits

C Marcel Goc - 12 points in 29 games, 6'1", 197 lbs - 53 hits

LW Rich Clune - 8 points, 5'10", 207lbs - 96 hits

Obviously Ott and Hanzal would cost the Canucks a lot, but I'd like to see MG go after John Mitchell and Goc. Both guys are playing behind a lot of skilled centers, especially Mitchell who has Duchene, O'Reilly and soon Stastny to compete with for ice time. He's quietly having a great season and would be tied for 2nd in goals on our team. Throw Colorado a middle pick, either a 2nd or 3rd rounder. The same could be said for Goc.

Steve Ott would be the perfect addition to this team. Kassian could learn a thing or 2 about bringing your best physical game night in and night out. Couldn't find a better guy to mentor Kassian's hitting game.

I agree. But he's a punching bag. Having your supposed heavy weight get KO'd in the playoffs can have a bad negative affect on the team. Especially on the road.

I love Ott. He's a good fighter who picks his spots. Very unlikely to get KO'd and he too is a center. A good face off guy AND he kills penalties. He's perfect.

I agree. But he's a punching bag. Having your supposed heavy weight get KO'd in the playoffs can have a bad negative affect on the team. Especially on the road.

I love Ott. He's a good fighter who picks his spots. Very unlikely to get KO'd and he too is a center. A good face off guy AND he kills penalties. He's perfect.

If gillis can get a first round pick in a luongo deal by the deadline why not use our first on Steve ott?

I bet buffalo would trade him for a first. He's totally worth it if we got the wiggle room of having 2 firsts.

It doesn't look like MG is going to be able to snag a high-end forward for the Canucks, but here's some guys who all factor in the top-100 in the league in hitting and could be really useful for the Canucks' depth in the playoffs. Right now we have 3 guys in the top-100 (Kassian barely makes it). Plus, these guys shouldn't cost us all that much.

Right now we have Lapierre only just cutting the top-30 in hits in the league, with Weise quite a ways behind him. This team lacks physicality up front, especially with small guys like Raymond, Hansen, Ebbett, Schroeder and now Gordon. We're going to need some big hitters, especially for the playoffs, and here are some of them that can be had cheaply.

C Steve Ott - 18 points, 6'0", 190lbs - 139 hits

RW Colin McDonald (Islanders) - 13 points, 6'1", 210lbs - 90 hits

C John Mitchell (Avalanche) - 16 points (9 goals), 6'1", 204 lbs - 70 hits

C Martin Hanzal - 16 points in 25 games, 6'6", 234lbs - 59 hits

C Marcel Goc - 12 points in 29 games, 6'1", 197 lbs - 53 hits

LW Rich Clune - 8 points, 5'10", 207lbs - 96 hits

Obviously Ott and Hanzal would cost the Canucks a lot, but I'd like to see MG go after John Mitchell and Goc. Both guys are playing behind a lot of skilled centers, especially Mitchell who has Duchene, O'Reilly and soon Stastny to compete with for ice time. He's quietly having a great season and would be tied for 2nd in goals on our team. Throw Colorado a middle pick, either a 2nd or 3rd rounder. The same could be said for Goc.

Archived