The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

edit: lovin this change!

Bananas

AV never talks to his players:

There was a specific interview where I believe it was Henrik Sedin who said that during the intermissions, the coach isn't even there. This is where this "myth" came from. The reason this is an issue is because in between periods is a very important time for a coach to talk to his players; whether to get them into a game in which they had a rough start; or to keep them in a game where they need to keep up the pressure.

Rather, the intermission is left to the players to talk among themselves. The coach isn't doing his job. He's leaving the players to do it all for him.

He gives the players way to much autonomy. He doesn't execute his authority over these players in the way that he should sometimes -- unless it is one of a few specific players. Too many players on this team have no leash because they are in some kind of secret circle with AV. Every player on this team needs to be held accountable sometimes, but instead, he picks favorites.

The fact that Ballard is the only player coach talks to and holds accountable doesn't exactly reinforce your argument.

Schroeder was playing great. He never should have been demoted:

The scoresheet was not very indicative of Schroeder's play. He was one of the few players on this team that put out a lot of effort and a decent forecheck. His tenacity created a lot of plays when he was on that line. He's also made a lot of very good defensive plays.

The reason people don't like how AV sent him down to the 4th line and then the wolves is because he is a rookie. He's allowed to make a few mistakes, but AV never seems to realize this. If AV honestly thinks that Ebbett is a better fit on the patchwork second line, that alone should be a serious red flag.

AV “hates” Keith Ballard:

At the start, Ballard was never given a fair shake. Perhaps AV learned his lesson with Garrison and just let him play it out? Or perhaps Garrison didn't get on AV's bad side like Ballard did. This season was different. Ballard was actually playing good defensive hockey. Was he putting up points? No. Why? Because the coach didn't want him for that. All AV wanted out of Ballard at this point was some good defensive hockey. And he got it. Two bad plays and he's back in the doghouse ever since? How can you not see that this is completely ridiculous behavior from a coach.

Has Ballard been putting up points? No. But he has played solid defensively. Isn't that what AV wants right now, with his current conservative style of play because of injuries? Why is AV benching his healthy players when we are stricken with the injury bug? Is this not complete ass-backwards thinking?

AV relies on his goaltenders to win games:

If this were entirely true, why are the Sedins never held accountable when they go invisible? Because they've garnered too much respect? You would think that during a time in which the team was battling the injury bug, that the Sedins would be told to pick up some of the slack. But no, that is entirely left on the shoulder of the goalies.

Anyone and their dog knows you can't rely on a goaltender to win you a play-off series. AV needs to hold the correct players accountable instead of Ballard and rookies all the time. Last year, it was Hodgson. It's no different.

AV doesn’t get the most out of his players:

He gets the most out of some players, sure. But then there are players who are given way too many chances that they don't deserve. Players who are getting way more special attention than they deserve, while others undeservedly suffer because of it.

AV throws his players under the bus:

The problem people here have is when he throws the same players under the bus all the time while others get off scott free. It's blatant favoritism, and that is what gets people rattled.

There are way too many players on this roster that he refuses to hold accountable for a single thing they do.

AV is not a playoff coach:

He's not. We keep losing to the cup winners because somebody has to. This is hardly a legitimate argument. Why couldn't AV coach his team past a single one of these teams? Their line-ups weren't better than ours every time.

AV never makes adjustments. He just does the same things over and over:

When people refer to this, they are specifically referring to the fact that he only juggles lines. He doesn't adapt his actual system. Yes, he finally did that this time after a big (for a shortened season) slump. You know what that slump was? 1-6. That's a lost play-off series. He should be able to adjust quicker than that, and this is why people get pissed off when he can't adjust mid-series when the need arises. Opposing coaches, on the other hand, do.

All AV does is juggle lines that, quite often, shouldn't be.

AV only knows how to coach defense:

He is very lucky to have had the offesive powerhouse that were the Canucks those two years. The Sedins are two very special players. Having said that, yes he did manage to bring some good offense out of that team. Of course, it was all system-based. The problem with his ability to adjust is not whether or not he can do it, but how quickly. He never seems to recognize when a team has solved his system. He thinks it is perfect and impenetrable. He needs to realize that sometimes he's got to think fast. That is a big part of what coaching is.

Sure they have 10 million dollars tied up in goaltending, but its futile to have one of them sit on the bench at all times. Gills has been trying to trade Lu for a year now.

Moreover, no team can realistically afford to lean on their goaltending to the extent the Canucks are right now.

What about the second half of last season when the team was relatively healthy?

What he said about Kesler's injury was completely unnacceptable.

Its not a catastrophic shortcoming, but you cant just deny there is a problem.

To me it was more a case of how they lost. And a number 1 losing to a number 8 looks bad no matter how you dress it up.

Theres a difference between shuffling lines and making strategic adjustments.

I respond because I want you to realize that I am not ignoring your points. I respond to show you that I do have legitimate reasons I want the coach gone.

And you are correct: the fact that I want him gone is a matter of opinion. Not everyone is as ill-informed as you would like to believe.

And there you have it, AV. Dump and change, dump and change... if you're so damned defensive and conservative, why do you let your D-man pinch the way they do? Three bad pinches, three bad goals.

This is what the team looks like when the goalies don't stand on their heads.

A lot to cover here. I'll just say for the sake of expediency, that there really is nothing new here. pretty much completely your opinion of what has gone on. BTW: I tried to find something on your "quote" by Henrik....saying that AV doesn't go into the dressing room. Here's the only thing I was able to find: (from the Chicago Tribune)

haha sure the guy not on the ice this is his fault. Its not the fact what you are arguing. Its that this thread contains very few points that have not been covered, its poorly written, it disregard's forum rules. Mainly though that it adds nothing to the conversation and since thats the case from the start you get nothing but lame reasoning over and over from the same people in the last threads. I do like what you add to the conversation though i just wish this convo was in a thread by someone who can create a interesting debate

I like AV and think he's a great coach and done a lot for us BUT time has come for a coaching change we need a coach who can motivate this team. Canucks need to get back to the team they were as a highly skilled offensive team, AV told Gillie last year he wants a 3rd line to be a checking line, Gillis folded and this has been a killer for us. We need to get our PP back.

Hey AV, I think when you are down a goal, you kinda have to start trying to score some goals.

Seriously, we got shut out by the OILERS.

Yeah, nothing is wrong. No red flags here.

The ONE AND ONLY difference between this game and the last 6 is goaltending.

@naslund.is.king -- you're not a forum mod. In that regard, your 800 posts has zero credibility. You clearly have no actual reason for liking AV as a coach. You are just afraid of change. Watch the damned team play, and you'll see why there is a problem. Watch them now, watch them earlier in the season, last play-offs, and last year's stretch. Then, carry on to watch them falter during this year's stretch, and during this year's play-offs. Watch the same garbage, night in and night out.

And watch the same threads pop up every two damned weeks until the real problem with this team is gone and dealt with.

Of all the posts you've conjured, I've seen nothing but complete garbage come out of you. You make everyone on your side of the debate look stupid.

@naslund.is.king -- you're not a forum mod. In that regard, your 800 posts has zero credibility. You clearly have no actual reason for liking AV as a coach. You are just afraid of change. Watch the damned team play, and you'll see why there is a problem. Watch them now, watch them earlier in the season, last play-offs, and last year's stretch. Then, carry on to watch them falter during this year's stretch, and during this year's play-offs. Watch the same garbage, night in and night out.

And watch the same threads pop up every two damned weeks until the real problem with this team is gone and dealt with.

Of all the posts you've conjured, I've seen nothing but complete garbage come out of you. You make everyone on your side of the debate look stupid.

haha sure the guy not on the ice this is his fault. Its not the fact what you are arguing. Its that this thread contains very few points that have not been covered, its poorly written, it disregard's forum rules. Mainly though that it adds nothing to the conversation and since thats the case from the start you get nothing but lame reasoning over and over from the same people in the last threads. I do like what you add to the conversation though i just wish this convo was in a thread by someone who can create a interesting debate

And there you have it, AV. Dump and change, dump and change... if you're so damned defensive and conservative, why do you let your D-man pinch the way they do? Three bad pinches, three bad goals.

This is what the team looks like when the goalies don't stand on their heads.

Archived