The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

edit: lovin this change!

Bananas

I have liked AV as a coach but it is time to move on to someone who can give this team a killer instinct. We need playoff wins and we need a coach who can motivate and show leadership to our current group (and perhaps a little better at handling our injured players). AV is a good coach but his personality drives the team culture and I would like to see this culture changed. I also wouldn't mind seeing new looks for our PP, our defensive coaching (meaning bye bye Bones), and a new breakout that actually provides player and puck support.

The goalies are paid how many millions to perform?

Red Light Racicot,with a name like that you may remember Ken Dryden days when he allowed a very defensive minded MC team to win multiple cups based upon a style that we are witnessing with the AV coached team of late.

I hated Montreal because I loved Bobby Orr but hockey is not won with just scoring.The goalies actually help the team win games,series and Stanley Cup Championships.

AV deserves all the credit in the world for this 6 game winning streak. It definately hasn't just been Schneider winning us games single handedly - we're winning because of our TEAM DEFENCE. Obviously Schneider is making some great saves, but the defence is collapsing so well right now that he doesn't often have to make a second save. How many odd-man rushes or breakaways has Schneider seen in the last 6 games? I can count 1 or 2 max. Before these injuries, we used to have at least 1 or 2 against per game.

The players have bought into AV's "emergency style" of play, which is solid defence, chip and chase and don't take any risks. The only problem is that we're not always playing this style of game, because quite frankly it wins games, whereas our open-run-and-gun style of play leaves our goalie vulnerable and ends up with us coughing up leads and losing games.

This defence-first mentality is what wins playoff games, not the gambling offensive style that AV employs when we have a healthy Kesler and Booth. We should ALWAYS play this way. It may be boring, it may be hard to watch and it may be straining on our defenders but it wins games.

This is the exact same way Los Angeles played every single game last season and look what happened. They took the experience of close, tight checking 1-goal games into the playoffs and whooped everyone, because no one else was used to playing that way. Right now, the Canucks are pretty much the only team in the league playing playoff-type hockey and we'll go deep if we keep it up.

You look at teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh who are playing loose styles because they have the firepower up front, but trust me this won't go far in the playoffs if they come up against a defensive stalwart like Ottawa, New Jersey, Boston, Los Angeles or the Canucks. A good defence always beats a good offence and if we play the way AV is getting the boys to play right now, we'll be tough to beat.

The operative word is 'some'.

Their teams were built on defense with Larry Robinson and Jacques Lemaire emulating this winning formula in New Jersey.

Well said,Down under.That is the way it is and the game has operated since Scotty Bowman coached hockey in the 60's and how he learned from his mentors in the 50's and going back to the 40's.

Sam Pollock, asked the 23-year-old Bowman to be his assistant. "Pollock was a very demanding coach," says Bowman. "His philosophy was, You go with your best players as much as you can. I learned that from him."

These types of posts are typically why I hardly come here anymore. If the team is loosing, blow up the team trade Sedin's, if the team is winning, there must be something wrong blow up the team trade Sedin's. It must be agonizingly difficult, for a lot of people to watch any kind of sport and get any kind of satisfaction out of it. It amazes me that even though some of the key players are out with injury's the team still manages to win 6 in a row. Is it a fluke? Must be........ Fire A.V. :picard:

I figured I'll post this during a win streak so that nobody can accuse me of being a bandwagoner who "shuts up" until the Canucks are losing. Why? Because I'm right.

Let's set the first, and incredibly obvious thing straight right off the bat:

We've won 6 games in a row because of Schneider, and a few great plays by defensemen here and there (lolHamhuis)

Now we can take a look at how, apart from goaltending, absolutely nothing has changed since our losing streak. Good job AV, you somehow got Schneider playing like a 6x4 wall of bricks.

There's still no scoring (besides empty netters), there's still no powerplay, and there is still stupid line-up choices.

Schroeder still gets benched half way through a game even though that line carried our diminutive offense for several consecutive games. That is the last line that needs a shake-up right now!

Do I really have much else to add? No. It's all been said. All I'm adding this time is that AV is still doing a horrible job, and yet again his ass is being carried by a hot goaltender while AV's team sits on one-goal leads. This will NEVER win a Stanley Cup. Ever.

Fire AV.

AV deserves all the credit in the world for this 6 game winning streak. It definately hasn't just been Schneider winning us games single handedly - we're winning because of our TEAM DEFENCE. Obviously Schneider is making some great saves, but the defence is collapsing so well right now that he doesn't often have to make a second save. How many odd-man rushes or breakaways has Schneider seen in the last 6 games? I can count 1 or 2 max. Before these injuries, we used to have at least 1 or 2 against per game.

The players have bought into AV's "emergency style" of play, which is solid defence, chip and chase and don't take any risks. The only problem is that we're not always playing this style of game, because quite frankly it wins games, whereas our open-run-and-gun style of play leaves our goalie vulnerable and ends up with us coughing up leads and losing games.

This defence-first mentality is what wins playoff games, not the gambling offensive style that AV employs when we have a healthy Kesler and Booth. We should ALWAYS play this way. It may be boring, it may be hard to watch and it may be straining on our defenders but it wins games.

This is the exact same way Los Angeles played every single game last season and look what happened. They took the experience of close, tight checking 1-goal games into the playoffs and whooped everyone, because no one else was used to playing that way. Right now, the Canucks are pretty much the only team in the league playing playoff-type hockey and we'll go deep if we keep it up.

You look at teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh who are playing loose styles because they have the firepower up front, but trust me this won't go far in the playoffs if they come up against a defensive stalwart like Ottawa, New Jersey, Boston, Los Angeles or the Canucks. A good defence always beats a good offence and if we play the way AV is getting the boys to play right now, we'll be tough to beat.

These types of posts are typically why I hardly come here anymore. If the team is loosing, blow up the team trade Sedin's, if the team is winning, there must be something wrong blow up the team trade Sedin's. It must be agonizingly difficult, for a lot of people to watch any kind of sport and get any kind of satisfaction out of it. It amazes me that even though some of the key players are out with injury's the team still manages to win 6 in a row. Is it a fluke? Must be........ Fire A.V. :picard:

Did you guys see Schroeder the other night? He was atrocious and deserved to be benched.

I'm a huge Schroeder fan and thought his 4 line demotion was stupid the last time around. But against the Avs he was getting stripped of the puck at will we needed to move him down and lapierre up or we were gonna lose that game.

I will be pissed if he's not back with Hansen and Raymond tonight but don't get on AV for benching Schroeder playing the worst game of his life. He was actually that bad lol

Look at ottawa and who they have lost

Spezza>Kesler

Karlsson>edler(comparison as hes not injured)

Michalek>Booth

Anderson- We have both goalies healthy

They have had injuries on defence aswell.

Despite all that Ottawa never went on a losing streak, they have the same amount of points as us, they arent making excuses, their coach is getting the best out of who he has. They dont have near as good of a team as us on paper yet they are doing just as good with way more key players injured.

If we had Henrik, edler, Burrows all injured, these are my comparisons to ottawas injuries I dont think we would be doing aswell as Ottawa is. Oh and pick one of our goalies to be injured aswell. As of now we still have both of ours so thats not really an issue

With those injuries, Ottawa has nearly the same amount of goals scored as us(with 3 key offensive players all been hurt) and 13 LESS goals against with their #1 goalie injured and injuries on defence

I don't think the defensive strategy has been made by choice, the other teams are forcing the issue, and we simply have no answer.

If running around in our own end, chasing pucks, and watching Schnides having to stand on his head over and over is a strategy, well this would be news to me.

With 14 games left and a win streak of 6 in a row top of their division, who in their right mind would fire AV based on what, that such and such team would do better if they lost comparable players. I am not sure you can even grasp how much it pains me to try and wrap my head around that argument. You would have a better chance convincing me if you had said " I don't like the way Vigneault parts his hair"

How is this not locked ?? The rules state if a topic already exists Do not create a new one, there is 20. Does his little rant about how lack of scoring and how one of our two star goalies is keeping us in our games add anything to the conversation?

Archived