• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Cory wins.

Not sure what everyone else does.

Cory wins.

Not sure what everyone else does.

The team wins. Having strong goaltending is what they have needed for awhile. Its what ANY team needs.

Do not be so obtuse.

Unless i missed those goals Cory scored...and his shoot out deke a few games back.

Transparency. Try it.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#122 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Here the Canucks are winning 6 consecutive games,top of their division and yet the AV haters can't be happy or content,never mind grateful.
The last game was an offensive burst for the first eight minutes and then the team went into lock down mode.Hank and others commented upon it after the game.They are doing it to win and AV has helped them to win in these situations.
Really,this is AV's greatest strenghth as he is a strong defensive coach.
No Kesler,No Booth,no PP d man and Eddie and the Sedins struggling big time because of that glaring fact.
You take Jordan out when the team is not offensively generating chances.Jordan is a defensive liability at this stage.
Goaltending/D is a huge part of the game.You don't blame the coach for having his goalie and shut down D pair playing like they should be.
Now we are talking boneheads.

No we aren't top of our division.

And your "lock down mode" was getting outplayed by the worst team in the league.

And your dead wrong, Jordan is not a defensive liability at this stage.

You can be content with Cory stealing us wins, but we will need to step it up if we have any hopes for a playoff run. And that's what I want, a cup. Not our goalie to carry us on a 6 game win streak in the regular season.

zackass.png

#123 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,897 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

We're not seeing a boatload of scoring because AV's focus has been on defense first (which is why we're getting some boring hockey). Injuries have plagued us and it's been amazing that we've managed to still win games...half of which were on the road. They've had to adjust and adopt a new style of play and it seems to have worked. People say we're not playing well enough because they're used to a skill game...but the adjustment was necessary and has gotten the job done.

Yes, Schneids has been amazing but it's also taken some pretty clever brainstorming to weather the storm...who do you think is responsible for that? For crying out loud, he's having to use D men as forwards and piece together line ups, yet you're worried that we're not winning convincingly enough?

Goaltenders do get hot...so to pretend that it's abnormal to experience or even count on this once in awhile is kind of ridiculous. Great goaltending has helped to carry many teams through injuries, etc. and we're now a beneficiary of that. Doesn't mean a coach should be fired.

Posted Image

#124 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

The team wins. Having strong goaltending is what they have needed for awhile. Its what ANY team needs.

Do not be so obtuse.

Unless i missed those goals Cory scored...and his shoot out deke a few games back.

Transparency. Try it.

Its funny, yes our team does need to need our goaltender playing like a Vezina winner...

.. Every game...

.... Or else we don't win...

Is that not a red flag for a team who's supposed to be one of the top contenders in the West?

zackass.png

#125 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

And for the record, I don't think we should fire AV right now, that ship has sailed. Its way too late in the season.

But the issues from the losing streak to this winning streak hasn't changed. Its the same, our goaltender is just playing great and thath Hamhuis/Garrison pair has started playing better.

Aswell Jordan Schroeder emerged.

Other than that the difference has been the goaltending.

zackass.png

#126 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Are you really that thick??!!

Do you watch the team play or just check the standings in the newspaper?

The Nucks this year are a shadow of themselves and their injuries have not been any worse than most teams, in fact less than many. THey have been dominated beyond belief this year - Chicago with 30 scoring chances - embarrassed by a depleted Detroit roster of AHLers etc - the only difference between their losses and their wins is their goaltending. If Lu and Cory can keep the other team to 1 or fewer goals (whith thier team being badly out-played) then they have a chance of winning. IF LU or Cory play average, the Nucks get blown out.

I don't dring the kool-aid about how these low scoring games ar epreaparing them for the playoffs. These games are lo-scoirng because our offence sucks! Because the team can't play a full 60 minutes! Because they get out-worked and out-hit every night! Because they play not to lose instead of playing to win..

WIth the talent on this team, I look to the coach as the architect of these short-comings.

Not thick at all. I actually have to wipe my PVR of all the games ive watched.

They are low scoring because the opponent dictates the style of play, which is now defensive. They are also low scoring because of injuries, particularily Kesler.

I do not subscribe to the asinine notion that they are holding back with purposely scoring low til the playoffs. That is just silly.

Nice how you neglected to mention the games where the Canucks outchanced other teams but couldnt get the damn puck in the net.

There are other teams with good goalies as well.

They flat out do not play not to lose. Absolute rubbish. The whole of the NHL would be tarnished if you really believe that garbage.

Pros play to win by any means necessary.

Posted Image

#127 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

And your "lock down mode" was getting outplayed by the worst team in the league.

You can be content with Cory stealing us wins, but we will need to step it up if we have any hopes for a playoff run. And that's what I want, a cup. Not our goalie to carry us on a 6 game win streak in the regular season.

we are missing kesler booth hodgson manny and at point defenders we are and have been decimated we are still winning the guys are having fun what you just said there sounds like we need to fill are holes on the team which magically is not going to happen in av's hands. One team can win the cup one coach. His timing on this topic is horrible this team is exceeding my expectations which is making av look like a boss and by the way the goalie is doing what i expected

Edited by naslund.is.king, 29 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#128 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Usually, I get in Joe's face when he jumps on my posts, but I kinda know what Joe is saying. I just don't think that AV is to blame directly. I just don't know if AV goes scott free. Point in fact, the first line is plus +15 on average, we can't judge the rest, because basically, none of the other lines are intact, because of injuries and the juggling that goes on because of it.

But our PP is brutal, and that falls on the assistant coaches, and Gillis for having the altimate say on who's on the bench. That being said Garrison took awhile to get comfortable, which really affected everything on the back end. "IF" the PP was near the top of the league, Joe would be happier, I am sure. And we would be closer to the very top of the league, not that we are that far away, which would make everyone happier.

If we had not have had so many injuries, hadn't had a veteran team ( Older/slow start ), if this year wasn't such a mess, with the 48 game schedule, and if the Power Play wasn't so dismal......well, Joe would probably like AV a little more.

Just for the record Joe, I don't think you are that far off. Fire the Assistant Coaches instead. I actually think AV is doing a pretty good job right now with what he's working with. Special thanks to Hansen, Raymond and Tanev! All of which are at the end of their contracts, or close to it.......man Joe you started a crap storm with this one! CDC posting like crazy! You should be proud of this one!Go pop a cold one! LOL

#129 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

We're not seeing a boatload of scoring because AV's focus has been on defense first (which is why we're getting some boring hockey). Injuries have plagued us and it's been amazing that we've managed to still win games...half of which were on the road. They've had to adjust and adopt a new style of play and it seems to have worked. People say we're not playing well enough because they're used to a skill game...but the adjustment was necessary and has gotten the job done.

Yes, Schneids has been amazing but it's also taken some pretty clever brainstorming to weather the storm...who do you think is responsible for that? For crying out loud, he's having to use D men as forwards and piece together line ups, yet you're worried that we're not winning convincingly enough?

Goaltenders do get hot...so to pretend that it's abnormal to experience or even count on this once in awhile is kind of ridiculous. Great goaltending has helped to carry man teams through injuries, etc. and we're now beneficiaries of that. Doesn't mean a coach should be fired.

Ottawa agrees with you.

When Gonchar is your leading point maker, you know its good goaltending and team D getting it done.

Last night was a blip with all those silly breakdowns. They should have known better on how to protect the slot, as they have demonstrated previously with keeping teams to the outside.

Posted Image

#130 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

If someone were to look ahead at the season that is now in progress, and you told that person that the Canucks entire second line would be out the majority of the season, and not only that, but a half dozen of the top 12 forwards out on a regular basis - and the Canucks would not make any trades, but draw instead from their AHL farm team - if you told that person the Canucks would not only be in the playoffs, but still in first place in the division, third in the conference.... that person would probably express some serious doubt.

Yeah - fire the coach. Fire Paul McLean while you're at it too!! He has Anderson - that's the only reason the Sens are in the race!!! herpaderpaderpyderpderp

AV has done fine, is doing fine. It's not only Cory giving the team a chance to win - it's the entire team, the coach included.

Very proud of them all.

#131 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Oh...well, to be fair, the injuries and depth dictate the style of play. They tried their usual quasi-speed game and were getting burned. Mainly because the lack of center depth and chasing after lost draws.

I blame the bad PP, especially on the 1st unit squarely on the Twins. and to a lesser degree Brown.

I wont bother posting links to back up the sheer fact that the players and coaching now understand that they have to play defensively against certain teams and grind them out until they have the full compliment of players back.

And it is boooooooring against certain teams. Usually the opponent dictates the posturing. Unless scouted differently.

For a coach "that cannot adjust", he has done that.

Is it exciting? Against certain teams they do revert to their hallmark ways, yes. But generally it is just dullsville.

Makes you appreciate what Kes brings to the team.

Didn't read all the posts Just got to yours after posting my own........you got it bang on! Nothing more to say!

#132 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Usually, I get in Joe's face when he jumps on my posts, but I kinda know what Joe is saying. I just don't think that AV is to blame directly. I just don't know if AV goes scott free. Point in fact, the first line is plus +15 on average, we can't judge the rest, because basically, none of the other lines are intact, because of injuries and the juggling that goes on because of it.

But our PP is brutal, and that falls on the assistant coaches, and Gillis for having the altimate say on who's on the bench. That being said Garrison took awhile to get comfortable, which really affected everything on the back end. "IF" the PP was near the top of the league, Joe would be happier, I am sure. And we would be closer to the very top of the league, not that we are that far away, which would make everyone happier.

If we had not have had so many injuries, hadn't had a veteran team ( Older/slow start ), if this year wasn't such a mess, with the 48 game schedule, and if the Power Play wasn't so dismal......well, Joe would probably like AV a little more.

Just for the record Joe, I don't think you are that far off. Fire the Assistant Coaches instead. I actually think AV is doing a pretty good job right now with what he's working with. Special thanks to Hansen, Raymond and Tanev! All of which are at the end of their contracts, or close to it.......man Joe you started a crap storm with this one! CDC posting like crazy! You should be proud of this one!Go pop a cold one! LOL

Hehehe...odd post, considering the OP has no rationale. But you did with transparency and thoughtfulness.

I agree about Brown being partial to blame for the 1st unit not taking advantage on the PP. But i do think it falls more on the Twins moreso. But they are adjusting much better now. They can be better. We, but especially the Twins themselves know this.

Posted Image

#133 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Didn't we have 75+ attempts on net last game? Or was it the game before? Any thoughts on that?

#134 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

If someone were to look ahead at the season that is now in progress, and you told that person that the Canucks entire second line would be out the majority of the season, and not only that, but a half dozen of the top 12 forwards out on a regular basis - and the Canucks would not make any trades, but draw instead from their AHL farm team - if you told that person the Canucks would not only be in the playoffs, but still in first place in the division, third in the conference.... that person would probably express some serious doubt.

Yeah - fire the coach. Fire Paul McLean while you're at it too!! He has Anderson - that's the only reason the Sens are in the race!!! herpaderpaderpyderpderp

AV has done fine, is doing fine. It's not only Cory giving the team a chance to win - it's the entire team, the coach included.

Very proud of them all.

As i am too. That recent slide really had me concerned, because the injuries were stripping away their identity. They all adjusted.

Too bad the haters cannot be impressed with the streak. Because it is impressive. All things considered.

Now it is MG's turn now to help the team with some solid depth down the middle.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 29 March 2013 - 07:27 PM.

Posted Image

#135 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not thick at all. I actually have to wipe my PVR of all the games ive watched.

They are low scoring because the opponent dictates the style of play, which is now defensive. They are also low scoring because of injuries, particularily Kesler.

I do not subscribe to the asinine notion that they are holding back with purposely scoring low til the playoffs. That is just silly.

Nice how you neglected to mention the games where the Canucks outchanced other teams but couldnt get the damn puck in the net.

There are other teams with good goalies as well.

They flat out do not play not to lose. Absolute rubbish. The whole of the NHL would be tarnished if you really believe that garbage.

Pros play to win by any means necessary.

I disagree on the "play not to lose" mindset/strategy. AV's comfort zone has always bee to play a defensive shell style. He was fortunate enough to have the Sedins in their prime putting up 100 + points.

As of right now, the Sedins aren't even in the top 20 (Henrik is 28th)! WIth their offensive decline, the Nucks have been exposed as a 1 trick pony (not that the playoffs hadn't exposed that before).

The explanation for the reduced offence is injuries and strategy. As I said, their injuries have not been as severe as some other teams (Ottawa, Detroit etc). as for the focus on a more defensive game, it has been siccessful in getting guys to play conservatively in the offensive end of the ice, thereby reducing goals but in the defensive ends, any success they have had is based on the wuality of their goaltending who are regularlly called on to stop a disproportionate number of grade A scoring chances that should not be possible against a team focusing on good defence.

I believe AV has been the benificiary of the prime years of the Sedins production and of Lu's (and now Cory's) outstanding goaltending. I believe his coaching style and personnel/strategic decisions have been a factor in this team under-performing in the post-season.

THis team has been picked by most hockey experts as favorites to win the cup for the last 3-4 yeasr yet have only made 1 deep run. If the talent has been there on paper to justify thoser pundits, where-in lies the problem?

#136 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I disagree on the "play not to lose" mindset/strategy. AV's comfort zone has always bee to play a defensive shell style. He was fortunate enough to have the Sedins in their prime putting up 100 + points.

As of right now, the Sedins aren't even in the top 20 (Henrik is 28th)! WIth their offensive decline, the Nucks have been exposed as a 1 trick pony (not that the playoffs hadn't exposed that before).

The explanation for the reduced offence is injuries and strategy. As I said, their injuries have not been as severe as some other teams (Ottawa, Detroit etc). as for the focus on a more defensive game, it has been siccessful in getting guys to play conservatively in the offensive end of the ice, thereby reducing goals but in the defensive ends, any success they have had is based on the wuality of their goaltending who are regularlly called on to stop a disproportionate number of grade A scoring chances that should not be possible against a team focusing on good defence.

I believe AV has been the benificiary of the prime years of the Sedins production and of Lu's (and now Cory's) outstanding goaltending. I believe his coaching style and personnel/strategic decisions have been a factor in this team under-performing in the post-season.

THis team has been picked by most hockey experts as favorites to win the cup for the last 3-4 yeasr yet have only made 1 deep run. If the talent has been there on paper to justify thoser pundits, where-in lies the problem?

the problem one team can win the cup and we have been beat

#137 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

As i am too. That recent slide really had me concerned, because the injuries were stripping away their identity. They all adjusted.

Too bad the haters cannot be impressed with the streak. Because it is impressive. All things considered.

Now it is MG's turn now to help the team with some solid depth down the middle.

Yes. We've seen some adjustments that normally would never take place on this team

Henrik Sedin taking a dzone faceoff with less than a minute left and a one goal lead?
Result - empty net goal.

Guys are stepping up in various ways, and it's a good thing for this organization imo. What is more motivation for a franchise than players who don't normally get a shot being able to be positive contributors?

One thing that is telling as far as I'm concerned - so much whining about nothing of value on the Wolves - and yet, under the crunch, the Canucks have a quality depth and energy guy like Andrew Gordon to call upon - a player Gillis quietly poached at the deadline last year. He has played 5 games of shutdown, dzone start hockey, and he is an even 0. The Canucks, even their bottom six, is giving up nothing.

I'm not saying that no moves are necessary, but one thing is certain - people in general really underestimate not only the depth, but also the scouting, management, and the coaching of this franchise.

People also complain about Gillis all the time here, but very few deals have taken place this season - and with all due respect to the Penguins, I would not have rented players at the cost they paid - and most definitely not what they paid for the pylon they got for their blueline. I'd be really diappointed to see Gillis give up a pair of 2nd round picks for Murray.
There are a lot of teams with needs that they have been unable to address - there aren't many teams that are decidedly out of the race. It's the same for all buyers - if and when a few deals start to take place, I'm sure MG will be ready to take advantage in any way he can.

Edited by oldnews, 29 March 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#138 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Do not be so obtuse.

Transparency. Try it.

Schneider did get an assist last night ;)
Posted Image

#139 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm pretty sure I can do AV's job. Just chew gum and protect the 1 goal lead, on top of giving no direction at all to his players. I can do that.

#140 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yes. We've seen some adjustments that normally would never take place on this team

Henrik Sedin taking a dzone faceoff with less than a minute left and a one goal lead?
Result - empty net goal.

Guys are stepping up in various ways, and it's a very good thing for this organization imo. What is more motivation for a franchise than players who don't normally get a shot being able to be positive contributors?

One thing that is very telling as far as I'm concerned - so much whining about nothing of value on the Wolves - and yet, under the crunch, the Canucks have a quality depth and energy guy like Andrew Gordon to call upon - a player Gillis quietly poached at the deadline last year. He has played 5 games of shutdown, dzone start hockey, and he is an even 0.

I'm not saying that no moves are necessary, but one thing is certain - people in general really underestimate not only the depth, but also the scouting, management, and the coaching of this franchise.

People also complain about Gillis all the time here, but very few deals have taken place this season - and with all due respect to the Penguins, I would not have rented any of the players they did at the cost they paid - and most definitely not what they paid for the pylon they got for their blueline.
There are a lot of teams with needs that they have been unable to address - if and when a few deals start to take place, I'm sure MG will be ready to take advantage in any way he can.

Hank has been taking quite a few dzone FOs since Kes went on IR. A sign of how this team has had to adapt without Kes and Manny. They cannot play the way they were originally designed, Thus the change. They still use Lappy in Manny's role if the Twins need the rest.

Hansen has been such a wonderful player for the team. In fact he is one of some players that have been used wisely for their versatility. Its no suprise he has run away with the opportunity and contributed with his strengths and showing his scoring touch. Something he hasnt had the chance to do since he was a Moose.

And ive been wanting to mention Gordon in other threads. WOW! Great pick up. Obviously very coachable and smart. Such a pleasant suprise. He is not getting any credit for his excellent play.

There have been an abnormal amount of waiver pick ups this season. And certain teams have been very lucky in picking up guys to fill holes.

MG does get knocked unfairly. Moreso by misinformation. Im willing to bet that if Lu (or anyone) does not get moved to shore up depth down the middle. We may see Kellan Lain get a chance, if he has been acclimated with the Wolves and is playing well. Gilman and Arnie have made good suggestions about the call-ups and AV has slotted them accordingly.

I was suprised that Shero took a chance on Murray. The East is much faster than the West. And Murray is good positionally...but thats about it. They did take a chance. And its exciting.

Posted Image

#141 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm pretty sure I can do AV's job. Just chew gum and protect the 1 goal lead, on top of giving no direction at all to his players. I can do that.

No you cant.

Posted Image

#142 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Whatever,dude.
Cory is a Canuck and goaltender is a position when the puck is dropped.
Lighten up.In a few years you will be an old guy lamenting the years we had two of the greatest goaltenders in the NHL.
This team ain't winning no cup barring a miracle so just enjoy the skilled play and entertainment value.

#143 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I have to laugh at some of the prevailing 'logic' in this thread - as if a win isn't a real win if your goaltender plays exceptionally well.

Patently obvious: teams with the best goaltending tend to go places in the NHL.

#144 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have to laugh at some of the prevailing 'logic' in this thread - as if a win isn't a real win if your goaltender plays exceptionally well.

Patently obvious: teams with the best goaltending tend to go places in the NHL.

Chicago vs Philly finals had no goaltending. The Canucks are going to get killed in the playoffs if they continue to post up 1 or 2 goal games. They need to add some offensive punch by the deadline or its gonna be another long offseason.

#145 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Nah. Ive already, AD NAUSEUM gone thru all of this.

Thankfully theres a mega buttload of statistical data...and general facts to go by.

You all grasp for straws and it is comical.

You deserve the silly.

Kinda funny you getting all butthurt over it.

Until then, or before this thread is locked, ill enjoy the team winning. And you can carry on whining about your imagined biases and wholly superfluous bashing. In fact as i enjoy the winning go forth and look for another team. Obviously you find it hard to enjoy yourself when the evil AV is behind the bench.

That's just it. You enjoy the "W" on the scoresheet. You care about the standings. You don't care that we are only winning because of the goalies. You don't care that the team as a whole has only played well enough to earn an amount of well deserved wins that I could count on one hand. You don't care that this is how the team has played since last January. You don't care that the team couldn't put it together last play-offs.

Either you don't care, or you refuse to admit to yourself that you've been wrong all this time.

I don't care about the wins because I still see the Canucks playing the same hockey as they did last year; the same hockey that left them ill-prepared for the play-offs. The same "status quo" "we'll make the play-offs, so all is well" mantra.

You have no tangible reason to like AV other than the fact that you fear change; you fear a major shake-up that this team has needed for well over a year.

Aside from one cup run, AV has been 6 other years of disappointment. I would venture to say that of those 6, half of them were a LOT better than the product would indicate, and it's all on AV because the teams MG had put together were very good.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#146 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Weird,when you consider that you complain when the team wins.

Yea, because the way the team plays is still complete garbage! We just happen to be riding a hot goaltender. Give your head a shake!
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#147 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yea, because the way the team plays is still complete garbage! We just happen to be riding a hot goaltender. Give your head a shake!

He's not listening anyway, just let him play with his pom-poms and give him one of these:

Posted Image
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#148 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Goaltenders do get hot...so to pretend that it's abnormal to experience or even count on this once in awhile is kind of ridiculous. Great goaltending has helped to carry many teams through injuries, etc. and we're now a beneficiary of that. Doesn't mean a coach should be fired.

This is all well and good when you look at the team so very shortsightedly as I expect that many people here do. I'm not talking strictly about this win streak, nor am I talking about the games we lost prior to it. I'm not even talking about this season. I've been on the so called "Fire AV bandwagon" for years now, and nothing has changed. The Canucks had one hot season, and by all means give AV some credit for that. But that was ONE season of his Seven, and the overall team has not actually changed that dramatically.

My biggest beef is the last year+ of hockey we've been seeing. The same hockey we've been hearing about --yes, time and time again. It's not about the injuries, and it's not about a hot goalie. It's been too damned long.

At any rate, deb, thanks for an actual well-written and logical response to my post. I can always count on you for that. Sorry that I still don't agree. I see your points, but they are simply just a little bit too short-sighted for me. My issues with AV run from years of bad hockey that is a direct result of his coaching style, as well as frustrating actions regarding his inability to hold accountability towards the players in his "secret circle". I'm just sick and tired of watching AV's Canucks. I want a new coach because I love the Canucks. If I wasn't a real fan, as so many claim of us "AV haters", then I most certainly would go watch another hockey team.

I also kind of get irritated when people group me in with the "trade the Sedins!" crowd. I typically stay out of the ragetradeluongosedinswhyhodsonforkassian talks. I used to hang around that crowd years ago. Not so much my thing anymore.

The thing about me creating a new thread vs. posting in an old one is the fact that I'd get sh*t on for necroing one, so what? Am I supposed to not post because a handful of people disagree.

And for people to come back at me with posts regarding my lack of content, that would be all well and good if you had anything besides #winning and excuse-ridden crutches to lean on.

And BedBeats, you'll notice that I've only really bothered to respond to your actual content, as limited as it may be, but I would certainly like to point out that you're acting like a clown. You turn everything you stand for into a complete joke, and nobody can really take anything you say seriously. Personally, I don't read who wrote a response until after I've read it. The ones without your assclownery are actually worth reading, and happen to stimulate conversation. I don't dislike it when people disagree with me, as I thrive on conversation. I am more than happy when people give me relevant replies because I actually like to see why people like AV, because I really just don't see it. But when you post gif after gif, it just amalgamates you into the ignorant crowd of "#AVwinning" status-quo riding people who really have nothing to say around here.

It's fair enough that you feel that you are beating a dead horse replying to topics that are equally guilty of beating a dead horse. I have my reasons why I created this thread, and if you have a problem with that, then it is all well and good if you don't want to post. But spamming gifs of AV acting like a clown makes you look like a clown. The least you could do is post gifs of AV doing his job...

Sorry for the gigantic wall of text.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#149 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,818 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

It is like 2006-2007 all over again.
I actually enjoy watching good goal tending.
When I shake my head too hard it hurts and then I can't watch the great Canucks goal tending.

#150 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yea, I don't intend to jump on you specifically in those cases. Sorry if it feels that way lol. We've got in some pretty epic battles in the past, but it's cool. I am quite proud of this sh*t storm I caused, but I don't drink (personal reasons). You can crack the beer, it's on me! Cheers!

For what it's worth, I agree about the assistant coach. He's a complete clown. That being said, though, should it not fall on the head coach to pressure the assistant to get his ass in gear? Or pressure Gillis for a new assistant? But as we all know, they are friends and they go way back. So here we are again with the "secret circle" that is immune to accountability.

About the standings dictating my happiness, I'm way past that. How the Canucks are doing doesn't really have an impact on me anymore because I've seen two president trophies in a row mean nothing (well, last year mostly with the first round exit). Ask my wife. I'm no longer bitter after a loss like I used to be. Conversely, nor am I the opposite following a win.

Last year, with the Canucks at the top of the league, I was still calling for the coach's head, even though we won the Presidents for the second year in a row. Why? Because I saw the Canucks play in a way that could be and has been described exactly the same as the way they have been recently.

Did CDC think I was wrong? Of course. What were their reasons? Endless excuse piled on top of excuse after excuse. The same as it is now.

What happened in the Play-offs last year?

The same thing happens to every team, every year. Every team has an excuse for why they lose when they lose. The difference with the Canucks is they are satisfied when they use these excuses as a crutch.

My issues with AV go way beyond the scoresheet and where the Canucks are on the standings, because no matter where we are, they are not an indication of his ability as a coach when the Canucks are playing the way I've seen them play for the last year+

And for those who would claim that I hate AV no matter what, you can go ahead and delve back to the year of our cup run. I gave credit where it was do, and AV was included in that credit when it was deserved. I don't blindly hate AV. I have every reason in the world to wish this team had a new coach.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 30 March 2013 - 12:52 AM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.