The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

edit: lovin this change!

Bananas

When I say "playing a full 60 minutes", I don't mean 60 minutes of straight domination. That's just ridiculous. I mean they don't put in nearly enough effort. You can very clearly see in any given game when the Canucks as a whole decide "well, that's enough. Let's just sit on it now..."

They just happen to be lucky enough at the moment to not have it bite them in the ass on a regular basis because our goalie, once again, is bailing out the team and, ultimately, the coach.

Can I just point out to the people who are saying "Canucks are only winning because of Schneider" that this is more of a reflection of the makeup of the team rather than coaching?

Back in the early to mid 2000s, despite one of the best lines in hockey our defense and goalies sucked. As a fanbase we cried, "Build from the net out!" and lo, our general managers did listen.

With that in mind, I won't beebop overmuch about the circumstances of this particular season, but our winning games by a small margin and due to solid goaltending and a defensive philosophy are because a ton of our salary cap is being spent on goaltending and defense.

Look at our forwards, with Kesler, Booth and Malhotra all out: besides the Sedins we have Burrows, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, Schroeder and Lappiere as players making at least 1.0 million dollars this season. Everyone else is making damn-near league minimum and by no fault of their own... playing like it.

So when we say "we are only winning because of our goaltending" we are actually saying "our team is winning exactly the way it is designed to win."

Not that "enjoyable" hockey is the entire purpose of this thread. But if you want to pick out one thing from my content and throw the rest to the curb in order to "LOL" at something I have to say, that just makes you look stupid. The reason it is not enjoyable is because of the lack of effort.

I'm not raging on about how the enjoyment I get from watching the games. The point I am making is that AV's coaching is not preparing this team for any sort of success come play-off time.

The responses in this thread make me sick. Using injuries as an excuse is unacceptable. With the injuries we've seen, the team should be trying even harder. I still see a lack of effort.

We are obviously watching different teams. The one I am watching has been the PT winner two years in a row, now with a decimated roster they are still 6th in the league. There are 24 other teams that wish they were as good as us. Can we get better sure just wait till some of our guys get back. In the meantime, we should form an all hail AV fan club and get down and kiss the ground he walks on. Without him we are 29th or 30th. Go Canucks!

again, that's your opinions, not facts.

you know what the fact is? every team will sit on a lead most of the time, and they would rarely be as aggressive as when they are behind or even.

our goalie didn't bail us out most of the time, they are just doing their job as a good goalie in the last 4-5 seasons.

Oh here we go. This pretty much epitomizes the redundant stupidity that encompasses the very limited content that is worth reading on these forums. Let's walk through is step by step, so we can all bask in the very reason why discussions like these never get anywhere:

A goalie's job is to be steady and reliable, and to steal games once in a while. A good goalie is expected to be steadily and reliably good, and steal a few more games.

My issue stems from the fact that way too many of our wins have come from the expectation that our goalie will stand on his head. Our team has failed to bail our goalie out of more than one bad game this year, and that was against Nashville.

This team relies way too heavily on the goalie. The fact that our roster dictates this is all well and good, but the level of effort they put in to mitigate this is insufficient.

If Schneider were to be playing the way our goalies did during our slump, this forum would be drowned so deep in a well of sorrow that it would have been a completely pathetic sight to see. But because one player is absolutely standing on his head, the coach is completely bailed out.

It's quite embarrassing to see professional athletes hang each other out to dry like that.

I can't remember how many times did people repeat this to you, but let me bold this out for you in case you forget about this fact again

our whole second line is down to the point where we need to use our defenseman as forward

when a team gets into a situtation like this, it is expected that our goalie will need to steal more game than usual. This is logic or common sense depends on what you want to call that.

This still doesn't change that fact that you are judging how good our coach is base on your opinion on the entertainment value of the team rather than results.

I am cheer. Don't worry about me, ol' timer. Just wait until our team comes back together, like it did earlier this season. You just wait and see that our piss-poor hockey will continue even with a fully healthy line-up.

And you just wait for the truckload of excuses this off-season after we are inevitably eliminated from the playoffs in the first or -- if our goaltending (from whoever it may be) steals a series -- second round.

You just wait and see, and you'll see that I was right; and I wont be here to rub it in your face because I'll still be happy when this forgettable season is over because I wont have gotten my expectations so high. I'll be out enjoying my summer while you guys sit here on the forums a throw your excuses for unfulfilled expectations at one-another.

Wow Joe you say you are a fan but you really don't sound like one, you have already given up all hope on the season. This group of Canucks and the coach are the best we have ever had. There are 30 teams out there trying to be better than us, there is no automatic way to ensure success but we have a legitimate chance and us fans are still waving our flags. I wish we could have got Iginla but that's not AV's fault! Go Canucks!

I wrote off this season because I am seeing the exact same trends as I did last year at the exact same time, and there has been no changes at all to what the real problem is.

Is there some wild fluke chance that the Canucks will win a cup on the back of Luongo/Schneider? Sure. I'm just not counting on it, because that would be silly and juvenile.

When it's a brief stint of the team playing the way it has been, that's one thing. But after a year and a half, then you really have to start looking at the coach.

Saying he was out-coached is also quite convenient. How was he out-coached? What adjustments did the other coach make that AV couldn't counter? You'll have to be specific on these set plays that AV couldn't counter. If you can't answer those question you don't know that he was in fact out-coached. No amount of coaching will heal injured players or solve the players inevitable scoring slumps, nor prevent the players themselves from making mistakes including the goalie. No matter how well you strategize it still requires the players to execute. A great deal of what happens between face-offs is up to the players to recognize and react. The coach can't do that for them. And the talent on the other side also has the ability to recognize and react as well.

Archived