The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should go all in at Deadline

J529

wouldn't it be more prudent to focus on our situation first? how many more chances are we going to have to take a run at the cup? We still have two 'elite' superstars getting older, our goaltending is solid. Our second line has been injured but at the same time, they haven't really proven to have much chemistry when they were playing together. We don't really have a third or fourth line. Our D is suppose to be solid and deeper than most. Are we suppose to wait for our less than stellar prospect pool to develop? Or wait for a Luongo trade when the glut of available good goaltenders is the largest in memory? When the sedins are done, we have no shot at a cup. We have to do something now! We need a third line at minimum. Gillis need to think outside the box. Trade Edler, or Kesler or even Kassian. Win now!

"All in" is a great poker play when you are short stacked. You can double your stack OR YOU COULD BE ELIMINATED.

Contrary to general public opinion, I think the Canucks should keep Luongo. My reason is this, I see the teams switching from goon style hockey (aka Boston Bruins 2011) to clutch, grab, interfere and collapse to the net style. Fineness and speed are becoming more prevalent and with the best one-two goal tender pair in the league, I believe we have the best chance ever to win a Stanley with our "lunch pail" crew than we ever had.

Most of the goals this year are goal crasher goals and blue line shots. This makes players like Burrows, Kessler when he's healthy and Lappy all that more productive. Raymond is back to going at the net as is Hansen and with some muscle to protect the Sedins, I believe the playoffs will see a very determined Canuck Team. I am not impressed with their regular season results until you look at the league standings and realize they are only 5 wins behind teams like the Blackhawks, the Penguins and the Ducks and still hovering around 6th place. NOT BAD considering we've been short staffed the whole way.

Keep the faith!

wouldn't it be more prudent to focus on our situation first? how many more chances are we going to have to take a run at the cup? We still have two 'elite' superstars getting older, our goaltending is solid. Our second line has been injured but at the same time, they haven't really proven to have much chemistry when they were playing together. We don't really have a third or fourth line. Our D is suppose to be solid and deeper than most. Are we suppose to wait for our less than stellar prospect pool to develop? Or wait for a Luongo trade when the glut of available good goaltenders is the largest in memory? When the sedins are done, we have no shot at a cup. We have to do something now! We need a third line at minimum. Gillis need to think outside the box. Trade Edler, or Kesler or even Kassian. Win now!

Bang on. Keep Kesler at 3C and defend against the best and the Canucks don't en need a trade. With this they also keep secondary production from the Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen line. Why? Schroeder passes.

Your right, there are a lot of variables that go into winning the cup, injuries, reffing, unfortunately the Nucks don't fare well with either of these.

I believe we have the goaltending, but IMO it stops there, Sedins go away quietly, and we don't have enough grit to shut down other teams big forwards come playoff time.

So therein lies the 1,000,000 dollar question, will MG be able to procure the players we need to make a decent run or will he stay staus quo and hope for the best.

Not gonna happen, Kesler has too much pride to go back to a shutdown role. If it was the case, we would've used Hodgson as 2C a long time ago.

And the boat to go all in long sailed in 2011 when Hodgson and Schneider were premier blue chip prospects. The adding a few more pieces to the current team isn't going to put us over the top. Especially with the value for Luongo is declining

The Only thing we need is a big 2nd line center, and of course Kesler back as the Old Kesler. His ego has sure got in the way and now figures he has to save the team single handedly on the 2nd line and has a hard time passing the puck and trying to do it all himself. Is it completely his fault in this? No but if he goes back to his old self and somehow we manage to get that big 2nd line center between Kesler and Booth then we'd be doing well, i'd like to see Kassian on 3rd line with his size and skill set developed would make a shut down line very dangerous but Kassian would have to develop at a quick pace for next year.

Do i see this team going far this year? Nope! Possibly MG sees it the same way and is waiting for the off season to do something since teams might be a lot more willing to do something then because of the cap drop. Either way it isn't going to be easy for MG to get much done before then.

I don't think we need to go all-in like the Pens, but I would be happy with filling holes. A 3rd pairing RH d-man would be nice, possibly a shutdown defender. A 2nd line player like Jagr or Derek Roy would also be very helpful. Keep Schroeder as the 3rd line Centre. We won't have to give up any prospects or 1st rd picks like the Pens did if we can trade for 1 of these UFA's

I would agree with you on that. But LA beat the odds, they had allot stacked against them and they won, congrats. But that kind of thing doesn't happen that often and I don't think that betting the future on a low percentage move is a good idea the way this season is panning out so far. The pens and the hawks timing is on this year. They are playing well, relatively healthy, business is taken care of and has them in a position to acquire free agents at the deadline. We are in a quagmire of uncertainty.

we can't go all in, if we trade our futures away we will be fracked in a few years, Canucks can't afford to move Jensen or a 1st. I'm hoping for a Pens Bruins ECF as they'll beat each other up with their size and grit. I'm only really scared of LA in the post season and Ducks a bit, I think we can handle Hawks. I really really really don't want to see LA in the playoffs.

i still think we should make a good effort to get mike ribeiro and mike green here long term, we can get them for booth, ballard, raymond and a 2nd round pick if need be, we need more offence, asap, ryan clowe would fit in nicely and help mentor kassian aswell, get her done gillis, get her done

I really think vancouver should look to deal and rebuild after this year... It's just not their time anymore. The only way I can see them potentially being a cup contender is with Kesler coming back and being the beast he was during their previous finals run and trading Luongo to pick up an asset that can help the team up front or with Schneider having to stand on his head every game in the playoffs

Archived