The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should go all in at Deadline

J529

If this team was going to go all in, they would have done it in 2010-2011 or 2011-2012 when they were still a powerhouse.

Now, they're garbage, riddled with injuries, a useless PP, marginal PK, obviously bigger issues than a couple trades are going to fix. Remember, a couple trades to "go all in" guarantees you nothing other than you just traded away your best and youngest assets, which the Canucks have very few of.

Look at what Pittsburgh has done. Reason being is the cap comes down next year, hence why Pens were very aggressive in acquiring Iginla, Morrow and Murray. Granted Canucks don't have the assets it would take to do what Pens did. The argument can be made not to mortgage the future, but what future do we have? Aside from Jensen, we have nothing in the way of good prospects. Canucks window for winning is closing. I fully expect all Gillis will do at most is acquire a 3rd line Center and that will be it.

It's painfully obvious a retool needs to occur but cause of their NMC and gillis unpopularity with other teams this tranisitons into a first round bust , even then nothing will be done.... Boring hockey, outplayed all year, luongo fiasco and bad to awful coaching..

This team and it's fan base are in denial. Going all in? To get another middling third or fourth liner...or the next Aaron Rome? Because that's the type of player you'll be getting at the deadline.

We are witnessing the end of a glorious run for this team. Granted it's not over and anything can happen in the playoffs, but unlike previous years, we are more than just a couple of depth players away from making a serious run. Yes...I said depth players because unless MG finally starts tinkering with the core of this team, does anyone think teams will be lining up to give us their impact players for the likes of anyone on our bottom 3 forward lines outside of Kesler? We are not a Jarome Iginla or a Steve Ott away from becoming a serious contender. Tyler Bozak would be a nice fit on the third line, but I wouldn't consider that to be "going all in" when you're giving up an all-star goalie.

What worries me is that MG will start dealing the few solid prospects and high draft picks the team does have to try to keep our obviously closing window open.

Gillis mistake was not getting a proper 3rd line center during their stanley cup run year.

Snieds should of been traded then and he never would of had this LU Sneids goaile controversey. You would of got a solid 3rd line center for Sneids instead of the useless vet they got.

Now your screwed you have a new goalie in Sneids and stuck with LU as well eating up valuable cap space.

Seems like no one wants to take on Luongo's cap hit and the Canucks have no other assets to trade unless they trade their future. Are they that close to winning a cup that one or two key players would help put them over the top otherwise it will be a waste to trade away their future on a couple of rent a players.

I really think vancouver should look to deal and rebuild after this year... It's just not their time anymore. The only way I can see them potentially being a cup contender is with Kesler coming back and being the beast he was during their previous finals run and trading Luongo to pick up an asset that can help the team up front or with Schneider having to stand on his head every game in the playoffs

Canucks need to trade 1 goalie.... So they can have a fixed goalie. They NEED a goal scorer badly. I dont know what they can trade but they desperately need someone to score.. MG needs to stop going for the tough guys and go with a superstar goal scorer

Archived