The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should go all in at Deadline

J529

Look at what Pittsburgh has done. Reason being is the cap comes down next year, hence why Pens were very aggressive in acquiring Iginla, Morrow and Murray. Granted Canucks don't have the assets it would take to do what Pens did. The argument can be made not to mortgage the future, but what future do we have? Aside from Jensen, we have nothing in the way of good prospects. Canucks window for winning is closing. I fully expect all Gillis will do at most is acquire a 3rd line Center and that will be it.

Look at what Pittsburgh has done. Reason being is the cap comes down next year, hence why Pens were very aggressive in acquiring Iginla, Morrow and Murray. Granted Canucks don't have the assets it would take to do what Pens did. The argument can be made not to mortgage the future, but what future do we have? Aside from Jensen, we have nothing in the way of good prospects. Canucks window for winning is closing. I fully expect all Gillis will do at most is acquire a 3rd line Center and that will be it.

Did they? Didn't they Draft Whitney 5th overall? And besides the times they tanked and got 1st or 2nd overall (Fleury, Malkin, Staal, Crosby) They didn't draft well besides getting some gems in Talbot and Letang. They also drafted Matt moulson but didn't do anything with him.

But look at their drafting since 2007. Simon Despres has been their best prospect.

Ours since 2007 We've had Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Mallett.

We've built a good team without having number 1 and 2 overall picks. with Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen, Schneider, Edler, Raymond, since 2001

Right now we do not have a 2nd line capable of taking us to the Cup final because there are too many injuries (Kesler (broken foot), Booth (broken ankle) and add to that, Ballard (fractured foot) and it adds up to a team that doesn't have enough healthy bodies to win it all. And, those are only the injuries that we know of. We might win a 1st round but we will be on the limp going into the 2nd round.

So, no, I don't think that this is the year to go all in. It is better to get ready for next year. There are only 12 games left after the trade deadline so I doubt that we can field a great team by that time.

Can I play poker with this guy that started this thread? You know the other guy has a royal flush or at least a straight flush...so you're gonna go all in? Really? Anyone with any bit of common sense looks at Pittsburgh's roster and folds. Not to mention a big trade deadline move would be the equivalent of needing to get a straight on the draw, you're gonna go all in against the guy who already has a better hand than the one you're hoping to get if the right cards come up? Seriously bro, don't gamble.

even if we had the assets to trade, its not our year. luongo situation looming over our heads prevents the team from solidifing, health of the team, questioable work ethique, inconsistantcy, other teams have the timming right this year and we dont. Not a good year to go all in. We trade for next year and the future.

Archived