The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should go all in at Deadline

J529

Teams that go "all in" often wind up like poker players who frequently go "all in" -- on the sidelines.

The Canucks do have a very thin pipeline right now. I would not favour shutting it off entirely to marginally increase the chances of getting to the Stanley Cup Finals this year.

The Canucks best shot is for Schneider to get hot in the playoffs (like he is right now). That is not going to be affected by picking up a rental or two from the available set of rental players. No trade the Canucks could make would be anywhere near as valuable as just getting Kesler back in any case.

I favour trying to trade Luongo for picks or prospects and trying to rebuild the pipeline.

Teams that go "all in" often wind up like poker players who frequently go "all in" -- on the sidelines.

The Canucks do have a very thin pipeline right now. I would not favour shutting it off entirely to marginally increase the chances of getting to the Stanley Cup Finals this year.

The Canucks best shot is for Schneider to get hot in the playoffs (like he is right now). That is not going to be affected by picking up a rental or two from the available set of rental players. No trade the Canucks could make would be anywhere near as valuable as just getting Kesler back in any case.

I favour trying to trade Luongo for picks or prospects and trying to rebuild the pipeline.

There are way too many variables this year for GMMG to bother trying to make a splash at the deadline. Prices are way to high for a bunch of rental players.

From what I understand, this year's draft is very strong. If not stand pat, I'd rather see the Canucks sell a little bit in order to hit the Draft hard. The Canucks have a lot of redundant and movable assets that could bring in a decent number of picks for the Canucks that could be used to trade up or improve the team next year.

If the Canucks sell, they can sell over-priced like everybody else. If they sell for picks, then other teams will buy because they wont be improving the Canucks for this year's play-offs.

People will buy high for players like Luongo/Schneider and Ballard, and even Alberts if we sell them for picks to people who want to run for the cup.

In summary, this team is in complete dissension this year for a number of reasons. There is little to no point in making a splash at deadline when there are so many "if"s that define this team's success come this post-season.

I think if the Canucks sell a bit now, then they can make a huge splash in the off-season with all these acquired assets in preparation for next year, in which we can have a full training camp with a hopefully full roster and, fingers crossed, a new coach!

i fail to see the optimism some ppl have for the team.. we avg what? barely 2 goals a game nowadays? even with kesler back it won't make a difference.. if this was a full 82 game season.. we will have 0 30 goals scorer.. we can't even score goals now during the regular season.. so what makes you think we'll magically hit a switch and score more in the playoff when it's a lot tougher to score? our last 2 playoff... WE CAN'T SCORE.. and let's look at our lineup even when healthy.. we have even less scoring than last year.. you expect Schneider or Luongo whomever is still here playing in the playoff to give up 1 goal or less 16 times to win the cup assuming we can even score 2 goals per game?

i fail to see the optimism some ppl have for the team.. we avg what? barely 2 goals a game nowadays? even with kesler back it won't make a difference.. if this was a full 82 game season.. we will have 0 30 goals scorer.. we can't even score goals now during the regular season.. so what makes you think we'll magically hit a switch and score more in the playoff when it's a lot tougher to score? our last 2 playoff... WE CAN'T SCORE.. and let's look at our lineup even when healthy.. we have even less scoring than last year.. you expect Schneider or Luongo whomever is still here playing in the playoff to give up 1 goal or less 16 times to win the cup assuming we can even score 2 goals per game?

The Penguins are in a unique situation in which they have cap room, lots of high-end prospects, acquired picks but MOST IMPORTANTLY they have a young, highly skilled core.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury have the 2 center spots, top-pairing defence spot and goalie role covered for the next 5 years. Nobody they draft next season or even the season after that is going to make much of an impact on their roster because of this young core. Throw Neal in there, who's going to be a staple in their top-6 for a while, as well as Kunitz and Dupuis who are just hitting their prime now, and not many drafted forwards have a chance in Pittsburgh anyway behind those stars.

On defence, I believe they still have a bunch of good young prospects. Letang will probably win a Norris so good luck to any draftee who wants to steal his ice time. This sort of position can easily be filled by free-agents anyway, as it often is.

So frankly, Pittsburgh doesn't need to draft players right now. They have the unique luxury of being able to throw away first and second round picks thanks to Crosby and the rest of their young core. The Canucks on the otherhand, cannot. We need our high picks to replace the Sedins, who, in 5 years time, probably won't be first liners and will need to be replaced from within. In fact, we don't have any young stud who will have a guaranteed spot on this team apart from maybe Schneider. Raymond and Hansen look like top-6 locks but aren't yet 1st line material, and Kassian has been inconsistent at best. As for Edler, he's at a cross-roads in his career right now, and could end up really sucking if he bombs out next season as well. We need picks and we need to develop some stars. Plus, we have very little cap room.

Penguins and Canucks - completely different circumstances, so don't expect any bold moves. We honestly don't need them anyway, our wingers are still some of the deepest in the league and our top-4 defence is (on paper) the best. We have the best goalie duo and only really need some depth forwards and centers.

Why go all in? With our prospect pool right now we can't afford to give away draft picks like Pittburgh because their prospect pool is deeper and their core is younger. Right now our only good trading chips besides prospects/picks are Luongo and possibly Edler(very unlikely). IMO Luongo should've been traded in the offseason but it likely wont happen soon. But I'd rather stay competitive for years and not risk the future for 1 year.

One can certainly question how good Van's drafting has been over the decades.

The dif between what existed in Van prior to Gillis is demonstrated in the development or lack thereof of Mason Raymond and Jordan Schroeder. As thin as Van's depth chart is now it was absolutely brutal when Raymond was brought up. He spent less than 40 games in the AHL. His speed was so tantalizing that Nonis could not resist bringing him even tho his fundamental game needed much work at the AHL level. While Raymond is a good hockey player I often wonder how much better he could have been if he had got 2 years with the Moose. I also wonder if this ooportunism the Canucks demonstrated will influence his decision to resign next year.

Schroeder on the otherhand has had time at the AHL level. He has had no sustained time at the NHL level where his confidence could be broken. Even if Gillis makes a deal for a C by the deadline and Schroeder gets sent back down IMO he will return with confidence next season. A big dif with Gillis is he is signing players who want to come to Van, Nonis couldn't do that.

So 'going all in' is a fools game in Van's case. Even tho things are much better under Gillis the org simply does not have the depth yet to make the moves necessary for that strategy to pay off. Van's defence is in disarray, they have no 2nd line and their 3C is not CUP ready. Kesler's effectiveness when he returns is a gamble. Gillis should move Lou for as much young talent as he can get and trade Ballard for a pic or prospect. 2011 was probably the high point of the Twins leading this team to a CUP. Van could mount another serious run with them as the 2nd line or at best a 1A and 1B. It means that Gillis has to construct another first line over the next 2 years to do that.

"All in" is a great poker play when you are short stacked. You can double your stack OR YOU COULD BE ELIMINATED.

Contrary to general public opinion, I think the Canucks should keep Luongo. My reason is this, I see the teams switching from goon style hockey (aka Boston Bruins 2011) to clutch, grab, interfere and collapse to the net style. Fineness and speed are becoming more prevalent and with the best one-two goal tender pair in the league, I believe we have the best chance ever to win a Stanley with our "lunch pail" crew than we ever had.

Most of the goals this year are goal crasher goals and blue line shots. This makes players like Burrows, Kessler when he's healthy and Lappy all that more productive. Raymond is back to going at the net as is Hansen and with some muscle to protect the Sedins, I believe the playoffs will see a very determined Canuck Team. I am not impressed with their regular season results until you look at the league standings and realize they are only 5 wins behind teams like the Blackhawks, the Penguins and the Ducks and still hovering around 6th place. NOT BAD considering we've been short staffed the whole way.

Keep the faith!

If the Canucks missed the playoff for multiple years and stockpiled draft picks , maybe came up with a superstar or two, then they could go all in and pick up a rental that puts them over the top, if not they could just mortgage their future and be like Toronto's decade long rebuild

I just don't think we have the assest to make a truely bold move unless you want to part with Jensen and our 1st round pick.

We'd be much better hanging onto Lack for a couple more years and hopefully he can make the jump to the NHL and prove a little..Won't get much of anything for him right now. Bishop was traded for a 2nd round pick last year? and he was one of the best goalies in the AHL.

Who else do we really have thats gonna bring anyone back..Rodin? Think he's a long shot to make the NHL. Gaunce i guess could be used for bait and probably Corrado and Connnaghton.. after that it doesn't look very appealing.

"All in" is a great poker play when you are short stacked. You can double your stack OR YOU COULD BE ELIMINATED.

Contrary to general public opinion, I think the Canucks should keep Luongo. My reason is this, I see the teams switching from goon style hockey (aka Boston Bruins 2011) to clutch, grab, interfere and collapse to the net style. Fineness and speed are becoming more prevalent and with the best one-two goal tender pair in the league, I believe we have the best chance ever to win a Stanley with our "lunch pail" crew than we ever had.

Most of the goals this year are goal crasher goals and blue line shots. This makes players like Burrows, Kessler when he's healthy and Lappy all that more productive. Raymond is back to going at the net as is Hansen and with some muscle to protect the Sedins, I believe the playoffs will see a very determined Canuck Team. I am not impressed with their regular season results until you look at the league standings and realize they are only 5 wins behind teams like the Blackhawks, the Penguins and the Ducks and still hovering around 6th place. NOT BAD considering we've been short staffed the whole way.

Keep the faith!

Look at what Pittsburgh has done. Reason being is the cap comes down next year, hence why Pens were very aggressive in acquiring Iginla, Morrow and Murray. Granted Canucks don't have the assets it would take to do what Pens did. The argument can be made not to mortgage the future, but what future do we have? Aside from Jensen, we have nothing in the way of good prospects. Canucks window for winning is closing. I fully expect all Gillis will do at most is acquire a 3rd line Center and that will be it.

even if we had the assets to trade, its not our year. luongo situation looming over our heads prevents the team from solidifing, health of the team, questioable work ethique, inconsistantcy, other teams have the timming right this year and we dont. Not a good year to go all in. We trade for next year and the future.

Archived