The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Canucks new farm team - Utica Comets

Back in February when the rumor broke that the Flames might be moving to Utica the domain mane uticaflames.com was registered to Rob Esche who is leading the effort to bring the AHL back to Utica. After Esche realized that the domain name ownership was publicly view able with a whois search he hid it by using a proxy domain name listing.

Coming from people in the know, it sounds like it's Philly's farm team, the Adirondak Phantoms, that may be the one's that are objecting to it.

They play in Glens Falls, which is almost 100 miles away from Utica, so I really don't think they have a case. Based on what I could find the standard territorial rights for AHL teams is 50 miles. Utica and Glens Falls fall well beyond that distance.

Sounds like just a rumor, and it could be alot to do about nothing.

Coming from people in the know, it sounds like it's Philly's farm team, the Adirondak Phantoms, that may be the one's that are objecting to it.

They play in Glens Falls, which is almost 100 miles away from Utica, so I really don't think they have a case. Based on what I could find the standard territorial rights for AHL teams is 50 miles. Utica and Glens Falls fall well beyond that distance.

Sounds like just a rumor, and it could be alot to do about nothing.

I think the key will be the lease which I expect to be very low when compared to other AHL cities with much larger arenas. The other factor is Utica's location which is central to so many other nearby AHL cities. Most of their road games will be less than a 3 hour drive by bus. Even if revenue is lower in Utica the costs will be amongst the lowest in the league which makes it attractive.

Archived