The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vision Vancouver's War on Cars

Wetcoaster

I guess Mayor Moonbeam and his Lack of Vision party will not be satisfied until we are all riding bicycles.

Accounts of verbal and physical abuse being dished out fairly routinely to Vancouver parking-enforcement officers revealed Sunday by reporter Sam Cooper are cause for concern.

While almost everyone can feel miffed at getting a parking ticket, it's rarely excusable to take out your frustration on a bylaw officer and certainly always totally wrong, and in fact illegal, to assault them. After all, they are just regular people doing their jobs.

But some of the facts extracted from city hall by Cooper through a freedom-of-information request likely explain much of the public anger being experienced by parking enforcement officers. It has to do with how Vision Vancouver, as part of its ideological assault on motorists, has turned parking into a cash cow. In 2009, the city collected $16 million from parking meters and fines. In just three years that figure increased 147 per cent to $39.5 million as Vision jacked up rates to the highest in North America (only recently topped by Chicago), extended meter hours to seven days a week until 10 p.m. and limited the right of citizens to fight tickets by eliminating their access to the courts.

The cash grab is expected to hit $40.7 million this year. No wonder so many people are angry: the entire parking system feels unfair to many citizens who believe street parking should be free unless there's a need to promote short-term parking.

Until city council figures out that many people are taking their business to neighbouring, auto-friendly communities because of the city's exorbitant parking rates, nothing will likely change.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Editorial+Vision+parking+policies+behind+meter+madness/8151973/story.html#ixzz2OzoSouIb

I actually got out of a ticket that I had recieved because I was timing my meter. I was two blocks away in a shop when my meter expired and the alarm on my phone went off.

Right after my alarm I stepped outside and my car was immediately in view. There was a ticket on it already and no parking enforcement agent nearby. I called them and explained the situation and was asked to call back the next day after they checked the meter.

I was told to, 'rip the ticket up' when I called the next day. When I asked why they refused to comment. Funny eh?

Not only that but I have witnessed parking enforcement officers checking meters then having a smoke break nearby. After their smoke they promptly walked over and ticketed vehicles.

It was tempting to try and film that.

Given our geography and the fact there is not 24 hour transit service, cars are necessity for many people. Try packing a gaggle of kids onto the bus for hockey with all their gear. How about grocery shopping???

When I lived in North Van it would take me longer to walk to the bus stop then to drive downtown to my office. And then transit required two transfers.

Vehicles used for necessity at high occupancy are a small drop in the bucket. Most cars, by a wide margin, are single occupancy personal carriers. Extremely inefficient and clogging up the arteries of the lower mainland.

We got by just fine without cars in the past and hopefully they are soon to be a relic.

Why should the City of Vancouver pander to people who are not living in their voting district? I would rather they look out for the best of the occupants of Vancouver. If you want to live in another city completely and drive into another you should be prepared to pay for that privilege. With that money we can build better transit infrastructure.

Archived