Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Why has Mike Gillis not pulled the trigger?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Is it because we dont have the money? Is it because he thinks this team is good enough.Is it because he wants to much in return for are players? What is it? If this teams wants to make it back to the cup he better start making a deal or two. (Like Pittsburgh)

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Patience

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

There's no trigger to be pulled.... Yet.
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#4 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

:picard: Why do I keep having to explain this???

We are not going to blow up our future now to have a slightly better chance to win this year..... Our prospect pool is bad enough as is, we dont need it getting worse.

If we go all in now, then we probably have 5 or so years where we will be at the bottom of the NHL. If we compete now but dont make as many big deals then we probably have a 2 year period in the future when we are rebuilding.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Decisions taking quickly without thinking could cost the team-he's just making sure he makes the team better rather than worse
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#6 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Because making a trade isn't nearly as easy as some people think it is. There are many, many factors.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Why have no goalies been traded lately? They aren't in high demand.. Why hasn't LA traded Bernier? Goalie market is hurtin right now we just have to ride it out. He'll do something at the deadline but he's not going to destroy our future to see if he can build a powerhouse like pit

#8 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I doubt there will be anything happen until at least Monday, with it being an Easter weekend.
Hope MG proves me wrong, but I don't think he will do much.

#9 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

if teams aren't willing to offer trades that make us better don't trade. I am willing to not have a long cup run if it means the canucks can continue to make cup runs for seasons to come.

#10 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

This year is a right off with us not being able to properly shop Luongo.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#11 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

David Booth now on LTIR...that gives us some cap room to work with.
Posted Image

#12 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I hope for Lou's sake this doesn't drag on too much longer, it's a lonely place sitting at the end of the bench.

#13 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

David Booth now on LTIR...that gives us some cap room to work with.

May mean we don't see Booth in a Nucks uni again.

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Because you aren't a GM and have no clue of the workings behind closed doors. Hope that explains everything.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#15 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

I hope for Lou's sake this doesn't drag on too much longer, it's a lonely place sitting at the end of the bench.

But on the flip side the time he is spending sitting on the bench may convince Lou that he needs to expand his "list" if he wants to get back in net.

#16 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Because you aren't a GM and have no clue of the workings behind closed doors. Hope that explains everything.

Your such a hard guy not to like. ;)

I think he blew it and he's faced with two options take less then he could have gotten for Lou now or even less in the summer as he will be a truly desperate man then and will not be able to hide behind his "we don't mind keeping both goalies" BS of a line.

#17 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

This would be a terrible year for the Canucks to go 'all in'.

With all the injuries and the fact that we are restocking our prospect pool for the future it would be detrimental for this club to try and risk the farm (such as it is) on this kind of off year.

Since people here like to compare the Canucks and the Senators situation alot this season let's try it like this. Do you see Ottawa trying to auction off its future to make a serious push come playoff time? I suppose there is still time for that to happen...but it seems extremely unlikely.

#18 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

only time will tell

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#19 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

if you haven't noticed, it requires two GM's to make a trade, not one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Your such a hard guy not to like. ;)

I think he blew it and he's faced with two options take less then he could have gotten for Lou now or even less in the summer as he will be a truly desperate man then and will not be able to hide behind his "we don't mind keeping both goalies" BS of a line.

I think MG has not yet recieved a suitable offer and is taking his time. Keeping both goalies pertains to not getting any suitable offers. I imagine at some point that if nothing comes back for Luongo then Schneider has to be considered as an option to move. That's just me though and there is only one persons opinion that really matters, because its his job.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#21 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

if you haven't noticed, it requires two GM's to make a trade, not one.

Right but from the sounds of things it's ours that's been holding things up all season long.

#22 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

:picard: Why do I keep having to explain this???

We are not going to blow up our future now to have a slightly better chance to win this year..... Our prospect pool is bad enough as is, we dont need it getting worse.

If we go all in now, then we probably have 5 or so years where we will be at the bottom of the NHL. If we compete now but dont make as many big deals then we probably have a 2 year period in the future when we are rebuilding.

Please stop with the facepalms!

Also, he hasn't traded Luongo yet.

#23 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ~,_. . . ..~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .=,_. . . .-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .=-._. . .;,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

#24 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Was hoping he might take a run at Clarkson, I know he is RW and a UFA, but could possibly resign him. I think NJ will try to resign him, but do you think this is possible? With Brodeur on the verge of retirement, that we could work out some sort of deal with the Devil?
Do you think Lou would waive to go there?
Use the extra 4 mill. from Booth to tie up a depth center.

Edited by Ride the red Pony, 30 March 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#25 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

MG has blown it when will folks get around to accepting that fact. He;s weighted down the Salary Cap with dead wood, he can't trade Luono likely because he was expecting to much back. Now the twins have realized they're never going to see a cup with this guy. It was clear...clear during last summer he needed another centre, but he brought in Garrison instead...that was his spending spree for the summer. I'd rather have seen salo for 2 years and move Tanev up the ladder plus have a quality centre. Think about this we started the season with Henrik, Lapierre, half blind Malhotra and an injured Kesler ?? well kesler is still injured Malhotra is done and MG plan B was Ebbett ot Schroeder...can you see either of those giants being effective come the play-offs ?

There was no plan "B" for Gillis

The days of sell outs is disappearing and it will start in the playoffs, big money spent of a poor team is not a wise plan. As they say a fool and his money are soon parted.

Mike you've taken us almost to the top and now it's over.

Edited by Fred65, 30 March 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#26 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

I think MG has not yet recieved a suitable offer and is taking his time. Keeping both goalies pertains to not getting any suitable offers. I imagine at some point that if nothing comes back for Luongo then Schneider has to be considered as an option to move. That's just me though and there is only one persons opinion that really matters, because its his job.

Nino hit the nail in the head. I also believe that Gillis is now trying to catch a falling knife, and it was his "taking his time" that got us in the ditch in the first place.

Some say we should wait until the summer, which will presumably be a seller's market for goalies. I beg to differ. Not only Luongo's contract is a bummer and the salary cap goes down, but a flurry of goalies will/may be available: Mike Smith, Jimmy Howard, and Niklas Backstrom (free agents), possibly Kiprusoff, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Bernier, Jaroslav Halak and Ben Bishop/Craig Anderson. And a lot less likely Thomas and Bryzgalov. Pretty tough competition, which means that the length of Luongo's contract will be even more of a deterrent. If we move Luongo in the summer, I think we might have to eat some of his salary.

Patience is sometimes a good think and is suitable for certain market conditions. And patience better be backed up by good judgement and foresight, which MG has not shown much of lately (look at our cap this year and especially next, with 14 players eating up all but $4M of the new cap).

Decisiveness is almost always better when it comes to doing what it takes to win. Ask Ray Shero.

#27 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

MG has blown it when will folks get around to accepting that fact. He;s weighted down the Salary Cap with dead wood, he can't trade Luono likely because he was expecting to much back. Now the twins have realized they're never going to see a cup with this guy. It was clear...clear during last summer he needed another centre, but he brought in Garrison instead...that was his spending spree for the summer. I'd rather have seen salo for 2 years and move Tanev up the ladder plus have a quality centre. Think about this we started the season with Henrik, Lapierre, half blind Malhotra and an injured Kesler ?? well kesler is still injured Malhotra is done and MG plan B was Ebbett ot Schroeder...can you see either of those giants being effective come the play-offs ?

There was no plan "B" for Gillis

The days of sell outs is disappearing and it will start in the playoffs, big money spent of a poor team is not a wise plan. As they say a fool and his money are soon parted.

Mike you've taken us almost to the top and now it's over.

lmao this site is full of losers like this guy

do you guys have lives ? how can people hate a gm this much

if you mention hodgson i will physically assault you

Edited by cIutch, 30 March 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well apparently Toronto offered more in the Summer than they are offering now.

#29 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

there is 4 days until trade deadline. and knowing gillis is our GM, a luongo trade doesn't look very optimistic....... :sadno:

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#30 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

POPULAR

Knowing a couple of people within hockey media and reading the amount of hockey stuff I do I can tell you one simple thing and that is be patient.

Gillis has been really active. He has allegedly made several offers (not going to state what they are as they have not been confirmed by mainstream media and obviously it would be dumb of me to state them in the first place) and heck even Pierre Lebrun said earlier this week on team 1040 that gms are saying Gillis has been among the busiest individuals.

I think ownership and MG realize the core is getting old so its now or never and I truly expect that to be reflected in the next couple of days. Gillis is doing everything he can on the transaction front except for the magical part of making a deal but I am confident that will change.

I am not a huge fan of Gillis but from what I have read, heard and generally understand he is trying damn hard to make a deal or two and this is unlike Gillis on most trade deadlines where he takes a very passive approach with the exception an odd deal or two being made for minor players.

So just be patient, ride out the next couple of days and trust me when I say this, moves will be made.

Edited by canuckbeliever, 30 March 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.