The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

I think what's going to happen is Toronto sweet talks Kipper, and sends a 1st to Calgary. Calgary sits on four 1sts.

Feaster turns around and realizes he now needs a goalie, so he jumps in and gets Luongoed.

Luo

Backlund, Calgary's 1st.

Aaron Ward says Luo to Calgary is a done deal.

Luo says HELL NO!

Luo to Florida for Matthias and Petrovic.

St Louis just lost Halak, are a point up on Edmonton and Columbus, and even with JBo have only 38 million in cap committed next year.

Elliott's numbers last year were an aberation and his playoff performances have been below average.

Both Halak and Elliott have struggled this year, and both have only a year left on their contracts.

Luo Connauton

Sobotka Cole Elliott

I think what's going to happen is Toronto sweet talks Kipper, and sends a 1st to Calgary. Calgary sits on four 1sts.

Feaster turns around and realizes he now needs a goalie, so he jumps in and gets Luongoed.

Luo

Backlund, Calgary's 1st.

Luo

Backlund, Calgary's 1st.

Elliott was terrible in last years playoffs and has been mediocre at best this year. Allen would be a great goalie return. A dream package would be Stewart and Allen for Lu and ???. Let the Blues trade Elliott to the Leafs, haha.

Can someone tell me why teams are willing to give up first round picks for guys like Bouwmeester, 2 second round picks for a plug like Regehr in a rental role, yet Luongo apparently isn't worth a 1st and a good prospect?

Calgary will likely want a first for Kiprusoff, and the Leafs would do that with the possibility of him retiring after the season and its somehow worth it, but to give up slightly more and get 5 years or more of solid goaltending isn't worth it??

I've been a long-time Luongo supporter. It all comes down to this: trade Luongo for prospects and picks or trade Schneider for an impact player. Luongo will get us a decent return for the future of this team, but will not help us this year or next. Schneider can get us an impact player (I remember Bob McKenzie saying that Schneider could have gotten us Jeff Carter, so a big bodied sniper isn't out of the possibility).

It all comes down to what MG wants to do. Does he go all-in and try and win the cup this year or next (the cap decreases significantly next year so it will be harder unless we get some really good players on low $ contracts or ELCs)? Or does he stock up on assets and hope that a future core of Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian, Corrado, Tanev, and an older Edler, Kesler, and Schneider can win us the cup?

Gillis will be able to move Lou because there are teams who have an immediate need. At 33 he has another 4 -5 years of quality play. A lot changes in that amount of time. The CAP should start climbing again as the NHL re-establishes some credibility and reasserts a claim to being a media affordable option compared to the NBA, MLB and the NFL. If Lou doesn't play until 42 then the acquiring team shares the tail end of the contract with Van. Lou stabilizes the net for a stretch that allows acquiring teams to bring their young net talent along. Gillis won't trade Schneider because it defeats his aim of getting the roster younger. Van does not have anyone in the system that comes close to Schneider. Gillis has three contracts he has to unload; Lou, Ballard and Booth. He trades Lou now to give flexibility in summer player movement.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=11268464">snapback.pngthad, on 01 April 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

I'm beginning to think we need a bigger shake up. I'd dangle edler out there right now. See if you can get a hefty package for him. Then throw luongo and Kconn at Toronto for Gardiner. Get the kings ransom for edler and replace him with luongo package. He will be a great defenseman for years to come but right now we need to roll the dice on some bold moves.

Edler isn't going anywhere. He just signed a bargin contract to stay with the Canucks and has a NTC. I know it doesn't kick in until July but Gillis isn't a douche like Holmgren (Richards and Carter).

Gillis will be able to move Lou because there are teams who have an immediate need. At 33 he has another 4 -5 years of quality play. A lot changes in that amount of time. The CAP should start climbing again as the NHL re-establishes some credibility and reasserts a claim to being a media affordable option compared to the NBA, MLB and the NFL. If Lou doesn't play until 42 then the acquiring team shares the tail end of the contract with Van. Lou stabilizes the net for a stretch that allows acquiring teams to bring their young net talent along. Gillis won't trade Schneider because it defeats his aim of getting the roster younger. Van does not have anyone in the system that comes close to Schneider. Gillis has three contracts he has to unload; Lou, Ballard and Booth. He trades Lou now to give flexibility in summer player movement.

Guest Dasein

I think acquiring Roy makes it slightly more likely that we'll move Luongo too. Now MG doesn't have that pressure to get an awesome 3rd line centre back. He'll be more willing to deal for picks and futures, I think.

Tampa, the Flyers and Washington have to be under a ton of pressure right now to do something. Gillis should be able to pull something off. I wouldn't mind seeing St. Louis come here, he'd be great on either of the top two lines. I know he has NTC but there have been rumors of him moving for some time, so he could waive it. Now go ahead and tell me he's too old.

Archived