The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Seems pretty clear to me that when Roberto signed this contract he believed his wife and family would come to love Vancouver and at least make that their home until his playing days were over. Is also very clear that has not happened and the main reason Lu wants out his because of his personal life, and the Canucks would certainly be trading Cory now if Lu actually wanted to be here.

The chances Lu has asked for a trade is very very high and it makes no difference on how much more they could possibly get for Cory.

One of the reasons I think Lu was not dealt is because many fans seem to think that Lu's contract is actually a good deal for any team getting him,lol,,maybe now that even Lu said his contract sucks fans will realise we will basically get nothing for him and we should all be very grateful that GMMG did not trade away Cory or we would be the ones looking for a goalie.

I somewhat agree.

I think Luongo when on his game was the best goalie in the league, in 2011. I haven't seen enough of him at this peak to say that with complete confidence anymore, although I am sure at his best he is still right up there.

Cory at his best is there too now, I agree with what oldnews said earlier that trading Luongo for nothing wouldn't be a loss this franchise. Theres the asset in moving the deal and mending things with Roberto. Who the fan base very much still loves despite accepting Cory as the guy.

I'm hopeful though that we can probably get a prospect or a 2nd or 3rd or something at the draft. Not a complete loss. And even if it isn't that. Someone will take him he's that good and there are ways around the long terms affects of the contract. I don't really see it as bad as some do. And I am sure at the measley price of a mid prospect or a 2nd or 3rd someone would stomach it no problem knowing what they are getting in Roberto Luongo.

I hope it doesn't got a second past the draft though, I am getting tired of talking about it now and if it goes past that I can't imagine how much more we will get sick of it.

I personally don't believe that really happened actually. Just Dregger pulling stuff to make MG look desperate to get rid of him. But at the same time, he makes Nonis look stupid for rejecting that offer too. Goes both ways.

"Sources" = Darren Dreger.

"Multiple draft picks" referred to by Dreger becomes two 2nds.

"Willing to unload...on" = trolling.

Toronto "insiders" gossip away like an episode of the "Real" Housewives of Vancouver.

And, ironically, seemed fairly angry that a deal never got done.

If there is anything to these stories, there is nothing lost for Vancouver there.

Luongo is a far, far better guy to have for the playoff run.

A 2nd this summer and next...won't be losing any sleep over not having banked those.

I'd happily take less to send Luo to Florida for Petrovic and a 2nd in the summer, or Goc and Petrovic, or equivalent.

Very interesting to see Dreger/Toronto once again publicizing their oversold lowballing - the more they do so, the bigger the egg on their face if they crumble between now and season's end.

"That's all it would have taken for this franchise to finally have Luongo?"....

Gonna get interesting now.

That Leafs blueline got a big injection of... yeah, the pressure will be on. As it stands right now, they draw Jagr and the Bruins in round 1.

Seems pretty clear to me that when Roberto signed this contract he believed his wife and family would come to love Vancouver and at least make that their home until his playing days were over. Is also very clear that has not happened and the main reason Lu wants out his because of his personal life, and the Canucks would certainly be trading Cory now if Lu actually wanted to be here.

The chances Lu has asked for a trade is very very high and it makes no difference on how much more they could possibly get for Cory.

One of the reasons I think Lu was not dealt is because many fans seem to think that Lu's contract is actually a good deal for any team getting him,lol,,maybe now that even Lu said his contract sucks fans will realise we will basically get nothing for him and we should all be very grateful that GMMG did not trade away Cory or we would be the ones looking for a goalie.

He wants out because he was run out of town by the fans and media, who would want to deal with this. there is fairness in critisizing his play, we all have a right as fans, but the amount of abuse the man takes is beyond reproach. he has dealt with it better than most human beings can and I for one felt very bad for him, watching that presser yesterday.

As commodore said, it was stupid. Why have a presser saying you weren't traded. Let MG handle it and let him play his game and go back to work. Why drag him through the mud etc, other than just to 'get it out of the way' perhaps.

That being said, you can see the emotional toll this has taken on him, and as a human being no one deserves this, no matter how much you are paid, etc etc...he brings smiles to kids who are dying at Canucks place, think about that next time people bash. Critisism as I said is fair, about his game, and comparing him to another goalie. But even I have crossed the line and am somewhat ashamed after watching that presser yesterday.

The city and fans owe that man an apology.

Makes him look stupid? To who? General consensus in Tdot seems to be Reimer and Scooby have earned their spots. Leafs record is pretty similar to ours and watching their play they seem like a decent team. Best case for us they make the playoffs and goaltending falters hard like it did for us in Minny. Even then they probably will go for someone else. Seems like a lot of teams are trying whatever else they possibly can to get a goalie thats not one of ours. Maybe they just don't wanna pay the price on one of our elite guys. Just goes to show teams either hate MG or dont value elite goaltending like we here at CDC do.

I think the best thing for this club is to go deep into the playoffs using both Lu and Cory. If Lu can show teams he is a playoff performer then that will seriously increase his value. If we just go with Cory and he takes us deep then he will probably be able to fetch us a sick return to an asset heavy team like Philly who may try to get rid of Bryzgalov and look to finally solidify its goaltending once and for all.

The Scrivens and two 2nd rounders for Lou rumour can't be true since TOR doesn't have two 2nd rounders to give. Smells fishy to me. No way a GM gives that kind of info to the media unless they are trying to create a stir, even if the media rep is your cousin.

http://www.prosports.../Years/2013.htm

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

He wants out because he was run out of town by the fans and media, who would want to deal with this. there is fairness in critisizing his play, we all have a right as fans, but the amount of abuse the man takes is beyond reproach. he has dealt with it better than most human beings can and I for one felt very bad for him, watching that presser yesterday.

As commodore said, it was stupid. Why have a presser saying you weren't traded. Let MG handle it and let him play his game and go back to work. Why drag him through the mud etc, other than just to 'get it out of the way' perhaps.

That being said, you can see the emotional toll this has taken on him, and as a human being no one deserves this, no matter how much you are paid, etc etc...he brings smiles to kids who are dying at Canucks place, think about that next time people bash. Critisism as I said is fair, about his game, and comparing him to another goalie. But even I have crossed the line and am somewhat ashamed after watching that presser yesterday.

The city and fans owe that man an apology.

How does Nonis screw himself??? If goaltending is an issue in the playoffs for the Leafs, he can address it in the summer. The fan base will take a 1st rd playoff exit this year. Gillis is the one that is screwed. Why is it going to be easier to move him and his contract easier this summer??? Still don't get that as there will be an abundance of keepers available.

I doubt MG can move Schneider or Luongo at the price he's asking. All the GMs know that Vancouver has too much money tied up in the goalie position. So MG is now in a position of weakness. So unless some other GM is under the gun to get a #1 goalie, I fear the return will be weak for either of them.

I am still confident that Gillis can move Lou with assets coming back. The worse scenario is that the CAP gets lowered more than expected and a panic hits the June draft. It doesn't change the reality that teams will be looking for fresh starts and solid goaltending is critical. Acquiring teams will realize that Lou will be super motivated. Van can even lessen the contract burden by taking some CAP hit back. There are lots of options to make a deal work. All the press surrounding yesterday does weaken Gillis's trade position.

There is not a 'loss' by keeping either goalie here, assuming Lack will one day show he is capable. That being said, clearly by Lou's comments yesterday he has been run out of town, wants out and needs out.

Given this drama, my guess is by draft day he will open his list a bit more, his value will increase a bit more for teams needing goaltending help (NYI, Tampa will have another fail on their hands, Wash, Philly post Bryz buyout and my guess is Reimer will crumble in TO under the pressure forcing Nonis's hand).

Regardless the market will change and given his cap hit isn't bad (which has been what everyone is arguing - that the cap is going down, well his hit has never been an issue so a bit of a red herring/falacious argument, issue has been TERM), someone will take him for a first rounder and a prospect.

By the offseason, MG would be happy to accept that as he will need to release some salary anyways, even with Lou gone.

Archived