The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Pretty accurate read on the situation IMO. It is almost irrelvant how well the Laffers do in playoffs as long as they get in. Nonis will get credit for whatever happens no matter what part Burkie had in it. Kadri and Lupul are carrying the team. I can imagine what Carlyle is say'in under his breath each time Kessel skates a shift. Canucks have the Lou contract and the Laffers have Kessel. As you suggest if I was Nonis I would wait until summer. IMO Gillis should do the same unless he can trade Lou or Ballard for some pics or prospects.

I think we should all take a chill pill .. Lu is as good as gone . Get ready to be sentimental , You wont be watching Lu in a nucks , leafs , or any other team not called the panthers jersey ... Just common sense ... and I beg you to flame me , cause ill use it as my sig when Im proven right in a few days ..

How is patience working so far? we'd be lucky to get a decent prospect or roster player for him at this point..

He has absolutely no leverage, if he chooses to keep Luongo till summer, his market could be gone. That means were stuck with a 5m dollar backup for like 9 years.

The truth is, Gillis should have dealt with Luongo in the offseason, he thinks he's all savy and smarter than the rest of the GMs that he overpriced Luongo's value.

Now he's feeling the heat and has been calling every GM trying to trade his mistake.

I'm really starting to think MG waited too long, held out for too much and is now going to get fleeced or stuck with Lou's contract.

All of which makes me believe his time here is shor - one, maybe two more years.

I hope I'm wrong and he gets value for Lou.

I love to make fun of Toronto - it's a fundamental aspect of Canadian culture outside the center of the universe - but I also secretly am enjoying the Leafs success this season. I like a lot of their players - and I like the type of job that Burke/Nonis do with teams. I also like the self-depracating, paper bag wearing element of their fanbase and hope their loyal fans are enjoying their winning season. Their media are exceedingly annoying but hey, we have that in common.

I'm not one of those people lamenting that the Canucks didn't acquire Kadri - I don't think that was ever in the cards given the Leafs need for a talented young center, and the Canucks top 2 being Hart and Selkes.

I think a Luongo deal could pay off for them but I don't see taking Kadri or Gardiner as the starting point and never have.

I still believe the best deal for both sides would be one where the Canucks get a pair of young RFAs and the Leafs take a pair of veterans where they have an imbalance of youth - and stop trying to peddle cap dumps when their financial and cap context don't require them to. Luo and Ballard and an inconsequential roster spot for Franson, Frattin, Scrivens and a conditonal 1st if Luo wins them a series, 2nd otherwise. The Leafs essentially move one roster player, Frattin, who is being shuffled in and out due to injury and scratches (alternating with MacArthur recently), as the Leafs have an extra roster forward.

I'm not sold on Bozak, who is the latest over-hyped, overvalued Leaf asset - a good player - but to suggest a Bozak rental is too much for Luongo is plain ridiculous. In any event, if a deal with the Leafs were to take place, leave them their centers - they can't afford to move one and hope to have a successful playoffs. Make a move with another team to acquire a center - there are better options than a rental out there anyway.

I'd love to see Nonis make another move that really sets the Leafs up to improve. If I were Nonis, I'd be talking to the Bruins in the wake of their misses, while they're searching for scoring depth up front, and offering them Kessel in exhange for some payback. Kessel has got to be one of the most useless players in the NHL when the Leafs don't have possession, and the Leafs aren't a good possession hockey team in the first place. Move the guy right now when the price will be highest. Take Khoklhlachev, a 1st, and a depth roster player - in the event Bozak walks, they have a young center prospect with top 9 potential - or take a young forward like Caron and a pick. If I were them, I'd take my chances without Kessel anyday. I'd do the same with Phaneuf if they can get a solid NHL blueliner and another young asset in return - and I'd do it right now when there are few sellers and the prices are silly - and then do your best to re-sign MacArthur and Bozak.

Ok, I received approval to provide the name of the player from that tidbit I received. My source told me that MIchal Handzus will be a Canuck very shortly. Take it for what it's worth. I have no proof or confidence that it will actually happen.

I know most of you will say 'yuck' but he still does provide good face-off ability even though he is a slow as molasses these days. Apparently he is completely out of favour in SJ.

I really like the leafs this year , I wish the canucks would play wolf pack for each other , we don't have the ponies right now , gillis fault ,

That all being said the offers from Toronto are a joke I hope Lu goes to Florida and Reimer chokes in the first round. Be the best thing.

Knowing gillis it won't be Toronto , Nonis probably jerking him around anyway as payback.

Florida or Tampa maybe ....need to sweeten the deal tho

To FLA

Luongo , Edler , Raymond , Lack

To Van

Mathias , Gudbranson ,markstrom, 1st

And sign Jagr and clowe

Sedin -Sedin - Jagr

Clowe- Kesler - Burrows

Higgins-Mathias -Hansen

Sestito-Lapierre-Kassian

Ok, I received approval to provide the name of the player from that tidbit I received. My source told me that MIchal Handzus will be a Canuck very shortly. Take it for what it's worth. I have no proof or confidence that it will actually happen.

I know most of you will say 'yuck' but he still does provide good face-off ability even though he is a slow as molasses these days. Apparently he is completely out of favour in SJ.

I really like the leafs this year , I wish the canucks would play wolf pack for each other , we don't have the ponies right now , gillis fault ,

That all being said the offers from Toronto are a joke I hope Lu goes to Florida and Reimer chokes in the first round. Be the best thing.

Knowing gillis it won't be Toronto , Nonis probably jerking him around anyway as payback.

Florida or Tampa maybe ....need to sweeten the deal tho

To FLA

Luongo , Edler , Raymond , Lack

To Van

Mathias , Gudbranson ,markstrom, 1st

And sign Jagr and clowe

Sedin -Sedin - Jagr

Clowe- Kesler - Burrows

Higgins-Mathias -Hansen

Sestito-Lapierre-Kassian

Archived