The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Your right, Weber is certainly worth less with his contract than before. My strongest opinion is that Nashville should have let him walk. Nearly $28 mill even with the lockout, by the time July 1 hits. Wow, before he has played 50 games? Imagine the team they could ice with that amount of $'s. And they do have $16 mill in cap space even with Weber, they couldhave spent it.

Lou is a pretty damn good goalie. And it was impressive the commitment he put in with Allaire in the off season. It looked like he might steal the job back. Too bad AV didnt inflate his stats before the deadline.

Two years ago I argued Schneider should be given some time, last year CoHo. Right now we also need to play Lou!

Oh, and remember how he played after Cory was given the start in (what was it) gme 6 in Chicago? Lou needs a little fear, and right now he is scared. I bet he would play lights out!

I'll do them in reverse order so the numbers make sense:

1. This was my original and most important point. You opinion seems to be the return for Weber in a trade is still valued quite high despite his contract. His play has improved, yes, but I don't think he's in the same comversation as others this year (Subban, Suter, Letang, and Karlsson before his injury) for the Norris. For him to have the highest cap hit of any D in the league, the standard you hold Luongo by doesn't seem to apply to Weber, when he's been outplayed by his former partner and others in the league, and his team is out of the playoff picture.

As far as his bonus, he get's paid the $13M immediately (first year due when the deal was signed, second year due at the start of free agency, July 5, which marks a new season). His $1M in salary was affected by the lockout though, and prorated to the number of games played.

2. Well, you mention opinion, and that's yours. I don't think either of us who had talked about the message it sends think it is a major component of why the deal was signed. It certainly is a bonus effect of the contract signing though, one which I'm sure MG was aware of, same with Poile in Nashville.

He wasn't given a top 10 cap hit to be a for certain #1 goalie in the NHL, one that would be all but a guarantee to beat any other top goalie in the league. He was paid to compete with those goalies and at least be in the discussion for a top goalie, and I think he's done that, but with the deal the way it is, he still has a much more affordable cap hit than someone like Lundqvist for example. Where's he in the Vezina voting this year? Should New York cut their losses since he has a $1.5M higher cap hit than Luongo and accounts for over 12% of the Rangers salary cap (Luongo is just under 9% of the Canucks)?

3. Luongo's being paid to be a top goalie in the league, as I mentioned, but I disagree he was being paid to the level that he should beat any other top goalie in the league. Don't forget the start Luongo had, and just how good he's looked this season apart from a few starts. The year Thomas had, and to expect Luongo to top that regardless is a bit presumptuous as well.

If you feel that to be the case, then you also have to feel that should be the case for Weber, as I already mentioned he's certainly not the #1 d-man in the NHL right now despite carrying the highest cap hit (didn't Luongo look pretty good this year as well?).

Luongo's poor play has, save for certain instances like against Detroit, been overblown. Take last playoffs for instance, in Game 1, he was actually quite solid, but so was Jonathan Quick. He was the Nucks' best player on the ice. He faltered in Game 2, at which point they went with Schneider and never looked back. Schneider played well, about as well as Lou played in Game 1 - either way, it wasn't going to make any difference, the way the rest of the team was playing.

Gillis, however, he was the one who really blew it for Luongo when he did little to support him after his failures and effectively allowed the fans to crucify him. It's no wonder why he's falling apart, his mental strength and determination is gone now, and thus so is his game. That's why I said Gillis was the one who must go.

Man, you can't keep looking at this as a player for player trade.

Luongo's contract is bigger than he is.

The new CBA really screwed us.

Even Luongo himself said this!!

" my contract sucks"

"it's why I am still here"

"I would rip it up right now"

What would have happened to Nonis if the leafs played the Bruins and Luongo had a meltdown in Boston?

I'm not saying that would happen but that is the sorta thing a GM in Toronto has gotta deal with.

You don't reckon the market is somewhat limited for Weber by having a $100 mill plus contract? Existing players aside, it realistically leaves 6 or 8 teams only who should be able to commit that and not have it handcuff them. Nashville still has just shy of $17 mill in cap space. But they play in real money and have none left after paying Shea's actual take home pay. Anyway, no sense over indulging Weber's conversation; Unless they'll pick him up for Lou because his contract only has $40 mill remaining.

More to topic. I guess Toronto is entitled to their posturing, annoying as it is at our end. Gillis himself, who used to run an air tight ship, has not looked good playing the media posturing game either.

Look in actual hockey moves, Nonis was conservative here, trading Bertuzzi aside (who had to go, which made it still a conservative move). He saved up salary cap space and was building on draft picks and good coaching. There is no major change in operating tactics now. Nonis will wait till he actually needs something. While his goalies have been holding up, why panic...

I wonder if Gillis and his team had another deal lined up; and were actually happy just to dump the contract? Thats more fun converstaion.

They did say they were willing to go all in. We heard rumblings of Clowe, even Clarkson out of Jersey. Man would that have been an awesome pickup. Wonder what he would have cost?

LOL, apparently it wasn't Lou... :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure everyone would agree with that, at least to the point that Luongo seems devalued by his. As a comparison, with Toronto basically saying Luongo's not worth two 2nd round picks and Scrivens because the Leafs already have NHL capable goaltending in Scrivens and Reimer, would you say Weber's value has similarly dropped? Would you consider Gunnarson and two 2nds (this year's 2nd would be a high 2nd) too much for Philly to give up on Weber since they already have "NHL capable" defence in Gunnarson, Couburn, Mezaros, Schenn, Bourdon and Gustafsson as their young core going forward?

Archived