The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

The logic here is impeccable.

Careful what you wish for - Schneider might be too good - and then we'll have to pay him. Sounds like a losing logic to me...

And as for your "we all know" example, are you talking about Luongo?

Luo's not perceived to be paid more than he's worth. I haven't really heard it stated by anyone that he's overpaid - the only issue with his contract is obviously term, and even that is routinely over-stated considering both the back-diving aspect and his work ethic/typical longevity of goaltenders like himself.

The negatives about Lu's contract are simply overstated repeatedly. HNIC says the NHL estimates as much as $1 billion in sales for the six outdoor games next year. If they are successful just imagine the spin-offs on media deals. Imagine the CAP ramifications. I love the way Schneider is assuming a leadership role on this team. The poor defensive play in front of him has to cause nightmares.

I brought up the possibility of an increased CAP because a fear exists that the CAP might go down even further. An increasing CAP downplays the impact of Lu's CAP it into the future. As a quality tender I expect Lu will play at a high level for another 5 years. If he retired at that point his final four years would be pro-rated between the acquiring team and Vancouver. CAP hit of $5.4 mil, a cash hit in the last 2 years of $1.5 mil. I don't see enough negatives for a number of teams wanting to trade for him.

Of course you speak logic. If this identical player/contract were in Boston or Pittsburgh, it would be a GREAT deal for a superb vet. Some team takes on Thomas as a cap-favour...Absolute garbage! It's all media-spin within a league that doesn't need/want Canadian teams dominating like the Pens/Wings/Devs, et al...They don't want Van to parlay their 'tender-depth into 2 or 3 strong young pieces. MG prob doesn't belong in the "secret handshake club".

So much pulp wasted on a non-issue. LeCav's contract should be considered a terrorist act compared to Luongo's...

The negatives about Lu's contract are simply overstated repeatedly. HNIC says the NHL estimates as much as $1 billion in sales for the six outdoor games next year. If they are successful just imagine the spin-offs on media deals. Imagine the CAP ramifications. I love the way Schneider is assuming a leadership role on this team. The poor defensive play in front of him has to cause nightmares.

Jesus man,,, even Luongo himself stated publicly in an interview that his contract suck,lol

As an example why in the hell would Florida pay Luongo 40 million to mentor Markstrom?

Luongo has no value and thus he has not been traded because if Gillis could have got anything tangible to help this team with the window closing, he would have dealt Lu.

Bjugstaad for all the 'he's a superhero' player posters

7gp = 0 pts and a -6

Only 7 games yes but not a great start for a kid who's supposed to be a top prospect....as I said, asking for him is not as big of a stretch as people think

Coming out of US college there is a big adjustment, it is not the same as the OHL, even though players are older the level of competition is not the same, thats why there haven't been many superstars come out of that league.

look at schultz, he is playing ok, lit it up in the AHL and everyone though this kid was going to tear it up.

they are players who need development like everyone else and Bjugstaad is showing that so he's not out of the question, because until he's a sure thing, there is risk for FLA.

Luongo has extreme value for the team that signed him. That's why he's staying.

He's an elite goaltender with an atrocious contract.

Can't get sent down, can't get traded, can't get bought out, can't retire. He can just PLAY.

Archived