The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

It's safe to say if a GM is swayed by the way he's played in 2 games, that GM isn't worth his salt in evalutating players to begin with. How he plays in a few games will have very little impact on his trade value.

Computering is not as easy to some as it is to us.

No way he goes to a division rival - particularly when it doesn't get him close to where his family would like to be,

You pretty much nailed it. Kesler returns and look how much easier the Canucks are moving out of their d-zone due to his FO %. Cherry has more hockey smarts than most fans and hockey people for that matter. Top players have to produce in CUP play or the team isn't really in it. Lu is getting almost no support on the score board. Anyone who doesn't think his play doesn't increase his trade value will never get it. Not enough pieces were added to this roster to make it anything but a long shot in CUP play. Roy in typical Van fashion has had his abilities overstated. Has anyone noticed his tendency to turn away from physical board work. His FO % is less than 50% on an ongoing basis. How do you play a puck possession game on that basis. I am not zeroing in on hios play as a reason for Van's lack of success. Simply saying to little to late.

I am a full go with Schnieds guy but never because Lou 'sucks'. He's been inconsistent at times but I am really starting to see the argument about it being our forwards.

Heard today on tsn last 12 games in the playoffs the canucks have 15 goals. How are you going to win?

And an important point related to that is, if you're scoring barely over 1 goal per game, what does that mean about your offensive pressure and resultantly the offensive pressure on you.

Clearly, only scoring 15 goals in 12 playoff games means your goalies are facing alot of heat, more so than normal because intensity in the playoffs is amped up...

Never been a fan of the "lou lovers" because again I do think Schnieds is better at this stage regardless but I certainly am seeing their argument more.

The Sedin's clearly haven't faced the type of criticism Lou has, perhaps its just a part of that position (which being a goalie always is, you face more criticism on a mistake bc it ends up in a goal)...but they certainly haven't been consistent in their playoff careers and I'd argue less consistent than Lou...

I hope he goes somewhere where he wins a cup...really...the man deserves one for all the crap he's taken

It's safe to say if a GM is swayed by the way he's played in 2 games, that GM isn't worth his salt in evalutating players to begin with. How he plays in a few games will have very little impact on his trade value.

Luongos trade value isn't determined by how he is playing in this series. His valued is determined by the rest of the market. To suggest his play in the last two games will increase his value is ridiculous.

I will ignore the condescending tone and respond.

It is pure common sense to see this going to a buyout. If Luongo is as upset as some people report, he can very easily force a buyout. He has a no-trade clause and you can no longer bury contracts in the minors. If he denies trades then Gillis has no choice. With the cap going down he can't keep him. And the buyout makes the most sense for the player here. Luongo gets paid out and then has the opportunity to go wherever he would like on a new contract that will likely be pretty good. I think his image is OK because the perception outside of Vancouver is that he has been treated horribly by Gillis. People noticed that last Edmonton game.

And is a buyout that bad on the hockey side? The key is getting rid of the cap. A buyout is terrible on the management and ownership side and is likely the beginning of the end of Gillis in Vancouver.

And again, his contract isn't so bad that there wouldn't be a team to claim him for free off waivers. That's why a buyout is so far fetched, since it'd never get that far. To even say he'd get to waivers (as in we couldn't get a 7th for him from Florida, for instance) is a near impossibility.

And a good GM would know that already. If they need those 2 games to prove it, then they aren't a good GM. It's not like Luongo just had a major injury or something where you'd wonder if it would affect his performance, so the evaluations other teams have on him are still the same.

Again: the Sedins are not playoff performers. I would even go on to say in the off season, trade the Sedins, Schneider and Ballard for great offensive returns. This "quiet captain" stuff doesn't work at all. The Canucks need a Linden type captain who will lead with a no quit attitude with heart and determination; not cycling until the clock runs out.

The Sedins are great regular season players but disappear in the playoffs. I hope most see it now. Schneider won't fair better than Luongo. The Canucks don't score. Expecting to have shutouts every game is unfair to say the least.

There is a plethora of young talent in the league that could do wonders for the Canucks.

I will ignore the condescending tone and respond.

It is pure common sense to see this going to a buyout. If Luongo is as upset as some people report, he can very easily force a buyout. He has a no-trade clause and you can no longer bury contracts in the minors. If he denies trades then Gillis has no choice. With the cap going down he can't keep him. And the buyout makes the most sense for the player here. Luongo gets paid out and then has the opportunity to go wherever he would like on a new contract that will likely be pretty good. I think his image is OK because the perception outside of Vancouver is that he has been treated horribly by Gillis. People noticed that last Edmonton game.

And is a buyout that bad on the hockey side? The key is getting rid of the cap. A buyout is terrible on the management and ownership side and is likely the beginning of the end of Gillis in Vancouver.

Again: the Sedins are not playoff performers. I would even go on to say in the off season, trade the Sedins, Schneider and Ballard for great offensive returns. This "quiet captain" stuff doesn't work at all. The Canucks need a Linden type captain who will lead with a no quit attitude with heart and determination; not cycling until the clock runs out.

The Sedins are great regular season players but disappear in the playoffs. I hope most see it now. Schneider won't fair better than Luongo. The Canucks don't score. Expecting to have shutouts every game is unfair to say the least.

There is a plethora of young talent in the league that could do wonders for the Canucks.

Buyout? Why?

Trade him to the Hawks for a 7th. Let him win a cup. Luongo deserves more than this crappy team.

It's quite sad. Luongo doesn't even not wanna be here cause he can't play, he doesn't want to be here because this team sucks.

Haven't visited this thread in awhile, hows everyone doing?

Anyways this talk of trading the Twins is nuts, as for Luongo I'm sure someone will take him off our hands for nothing. Just get what we can for him and move on at this point. As I have been saying for awhile.

anyways cheers everyone.

AV puts Lu in for Game 4 and he plays a SO. Seals the deal for a June trade. No Canuck fan should have wanted a CUP for an abbreviated season anyway. It would have tarnished the 43 year wait! Hang in there kids. House cleaning in the off season. Gillis will move out Lu, Ballard, Raymond and Booth and get something back in return. Oh forget, all new coaching as well.

Your I love Luo but run down everything else Canuck schpeel is beyond stale dated.

The Sedins disappear in the playoffs story is just that - fiction.

Henrik has scored .75 ppg in his playoff career - 73 points in 98 games.

In his regular season career, he has 792 points in 940 career games = .84 ppg.

Everyone knows that in the playoffs scoring decreases, referees call less penalties (agains everyone but the Canucks), and the competition is stiffer, with the teams remaining tending to have better goaltending and stronger top 4 bluelines than the NHL average.

The Sedins do nothing resembling "disappearing" in the playoffs - they produce at exactly the rate that can be expected of them under the circumstances.

It's ironic how much you play the Luo is hard done by card, and yet you remain oblivious to reality such as this. Let me spell out the circumstances a little more - the Sedins face a blank cheque night in night out, to mug, elbow, clutch and grab, take a run at, cross-check, maul, punch them in the face, or whatever liberties an opponent decides to resort to, without recourse. And yet their own oblivious fan base suggests they "disappear".

Do the math.

If you need a current example to clarity things:

Joe Thornton has a lifetime .99 ppg in the regular season (1118 pts in 1125 games) - in the playoffs he's a .76ppg with 90 pts in 117 games.

That is not "disappearing". It's called the playoffs.

Only the deluded fail to respect what the Sedins have done.

Archived