The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

I'm guessing Holmgen didn't wanna pay more than Read for Bernier and so he lost out on him.

I would imagine Philly tries to dump Bryz in a trade so that they can save one of their buyouts. I'm thinking Couturier would have to be the main piece if they wanna do that.

So that's 3 teams now that are in a position to trade contracts for the purposes of buyouts (Philly, Tampa, and NYI). All in need of a new goalie.

Gillis definitely has options, he just needs to work with ownership to take advantage of one of them.

I'm guessing Holmgen didn't wanna pay more than Read for Bernier and so he lost out on him.

I would imagine Philly tries to dump Bryz in a trade so that they can save one of their buyouts. I'm thinking Couturier would have to be the main piece if they wanna do that.

So that's 3 teams now that are in a position to trade contracts for the purposes of buyouts (Philly, Tampa, and NYI). All in need of a new goalie.

Gillis definitely has options, he just needs to work with ownership to take advantage of one of them.

That's a good point about Ballard. He may not have value to Vancouver fans, but for a team that is thin on D and just lost their best D-man, he might. He also helps them get to the cap as well.

That alone would solve two of our problems of having to dump Luongo and Ballard's salary, plus get a good young asset in return.

I remember back in the day (Luongo trade discussion 1.0)

When some of you silly buggers threw names around like Tavares, Hamonic, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Couturier, huberdeau.

I made fun of all of you calling you all crazy

I said I'd be happy with nothing in return, just that ugly contract gone.

Then you all laughed at ME calling ME crazy!! Haha

Now we are talking about trading for crap with the purpose of buyouts

Haha, I told you silly buggers.

I remember back in the day (Luongo trade discussion 1.0)

When some of you silly buggers threw names around like Tavares, Hamonic, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Couturier, huberdeau.

I made fun of all of you calling you all crazy

I said I'd be happy with nothing in return, just that ugly contract gone.

Then you all laughed at ME calling ME crazy!! Haha

Now we are talking about trading for crap with the purpose of buyouts

Haha, I told you silly buggers.

Ownership better step up and spend this summer - esp after raising ticket prices. Tor is buying out Komisarek and are rumored to be looking to use other buyout to purchase assets. Mtl used both their buyouts. Van needs to use them to get rid of bad contract and buy assets. Nucks don't have great prospects, the UFA market sucks, and the same roster from last 2 years won't cut it. Time for Acq to step up.

Phillys buying out Briere (around $9M ish), Bryz buyouts about $23M. That's a mass load of $$ to spend on dead contracts, but they also have a lot of $$. I'd think a poor team like NYI would be willing to 'give up' more for someone to take Dipis contract than Philly would for Bryz. I really hope they can work something out w/ NYI asthey have great prospects, they could also save 1 buyout by sending Ballard their way . Like a lot of people, Brock Nelson would be a great fit in Van along with a few other pieces for the $19M Dipi contract.

That's a good point about Ballard. He may not have value to Vancouver fans, but for a team that is thin on D and just lost their best D-man, he might. He also helps them get to the cap as well.

That alone would solve two of our problems of having to dump Luongo and Ballard's salary, plus get a good young asset in return.

From Eklund (it makes sense)

"Prepare yourself...There are going to be many more Luongo rumors today, but know this...from what I am told there aren't any teams now willing to trade for him, but there are many willing to wait to see if he is to be bought out..."

Yeah. Writings on the wall. No way ownership buys him out

From Eklund (it makes sense)

"Prepare yourself...There are going to be many more Luongo rumors today, but know this...from what I am told there aren't any teams now willing to trade for him, but there are many willing to wait to see if he is to be bought out..."

Yeah. Writings on the wall. No way ownership buys him out

But it does make sense though. Especially since they haven't announced Torts as coach yet. I mean, what could the hold up be?! There has to be something and I would bet it has something to do with the Lu deal not getting done!

Archived