The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

If I was in their position; probably!

In ours, No.

They are both much stronger cup contenders, and had more tools in their prospect tool box.

But Clowe, after getting Morrow and Iginla, even then probably not. How many wingers do you need... But I'd still be looking!

They come at a big price.

Would you be happy if we end up trading Jensen or Jensen+ for Clowe?

Gillis is so full of it. 4 teams in discussion but it is better to do it in the summer ... translation = we have 1 team that we are begging to reconsider (Toronto), we need to increase the leverage so I'll send Gilman to do some BS rumours. Finally, please don't be disappointed in me if we don't get a deal done before trade deadline and that I wait till the summer.

My bet is Luongo does NOT get traded and Gillis gets the axe in the off season.

Gillis is so full of it. 4 teams in discussion but it is better to do it in the summer ... translation = we have 1 team that we are begging to reconsider (Toronto), we need to increase the leverage so I'll send Gilman to do some BS rumours. Finally, please don't be disappointed in me if we don't get a deal done before trade deadline and that I wait till the summer.

My bet is Luongo does NOT get traded and Gillis gets the axe in the off season.

<p>

I think this whole kipper thing is just a negotiation trick. Leafs know they won't get him (he won't go to any other team and will likely retire next year).

From a negotiation point of view, it makes sense to show the Canucks they have options. And if I were the flames, i'd play along too if it could help in any way to get the Canucks to be less powerful as a division rival.

MG should know this and not reduce his price.

I think this whole kipper thing is just a negotiation trick. Leafs know they won't get him (he won't go to any other team and will likely retire next year).

From a negotiation point of view, it makes sense to show the Canucks they have options. And if I were the flames, i'd play along too if it could help in any way to get the Canucks to be less powerful as a division rival.

MG should know this and not reduce his price.

Gillis better not be so focused on a Luongo deal that he passes up other opportunities to improve this team.

A third line center can be acquired through another trade. I'd rather see Luongo traded for picks and prospects anyways.

Here's my take on the Luongo Situation.

Luongo's value can be looked at in three ways; trade value, trade value with contract and the value he brings to the organization.

I am not going to pretend to know Luongo's trade value. What I do know is he is an all-star that consistently shows above average goal tending. He is worth at least as much as Calgary got for Iginla given Lungo's age and years of high level performance he likely has left in the tank.

Then you have this elephant in the room. A contract that goes until he is 42 with a decently high cap hit of 5.3mil. Not high for the next few years but you bet your lucky penny that if we still have Luongo when he is 38 we are probably going to be complaining about that cap hit. A really good question to ask yourself is if we didn't have goal tending and we were in the hunt for Luongo, how much would you be willing to give up to acquire him and his contract. I bet most people would be crying out to Gillis not to overpay for him, given his contract. It hurts, but the cold hard truth is that his contract is a very large risk for a GM to take on.

Lastly you have the value Luongo brings to this organization. This is what Gillis NEEDS to, at a minimum, get back in a trade. Its a tough value to quantify, but if Gillis doesn't bring back pieces that add at least the value Luongo gives to our team then it will be a failed trade.

Putting it all together I think Gillis is likely getting offers. But they are lower than the offers you would expect to see in a trade if Luongo didn't have that contract. The offers are probably in the ballpark of a 2nd and a cap dump. Most Canuck fans would agree this isn't enough value in return for an allstar goalie. Aka not enough value to replace the value lost from trading Luongo. But can you blame those teams for those kinds of offers? Would you offer more than what Calgary received for Iginla? Probably not.

So there's Gillis, left in a situation where moving Luongo seems less and less likely. The more I think about it the more I think trading Schneider and hoping that Lack or Cannata can step it up in 4-5 years is the way to go. Then when Luongo's salary is below his cap hit hope that a team trying to hit the cap floor will take him off our books.

Gillis has put himself in a very tough situation. It will be very interesting to see how Gillis scrambles out of this one.

I am so confident that Luongo will not be dealt that if he is I will change my name to

Princess Poopy pee pee

Here is the benchmark for a bad contract. I bet Gillis is getting similar offers

&rlm;@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Flames get St. Louis’ 2013 first round pick, defenseman Mark Cundari and goaltender Reto Berra

Don't trade him to the Leafs, please MG! I wouldn't mind waiting to the off season to see if we can make things happen with Philli, Florida or NJ? Brodeur and Hedburg are old people and Frazee isn't a capable NHL goalie, maybe they'd be the surprise team in the summer.

Archived