3230 replies to this topic

#931 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

One final dagger to MG from Nonis ... "that's for taking my job" ... *sinister laugh*.

#932 Down Under

Down Under

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

Sorry, read half way down in tsn article. Gillis said Lu nixed trades.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419791

'Gillis said getting the right compensation in return has been the biggest stumbling block in dealing the 34-year-old netminder. He also said that there have been deals on the table that Luongo turned down, since he has a no-movement clause in his contract.,

I believe Lu, Lu said it best my contract sucks. and MG looked a tad mad Lu said it. Theres no trading partner for you guys other then my laffs, no one buy us would take that contract it,s what we do best, MG will either take much less or Lu will be a backup for you guys for another 9 years. i was looking at what you guys gave up for Lu and you stole that trade hands down.

#933 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

We will get a better return in the summer. This is just like last year with the Nash trade. Yeah, he may have a shorter term, but his cap hit is ridiculously high. Columbus tried to offload him at last year's trade deadline, and I think the Rangers were even rumoured to be one of the teams inquiring about him during then. Of course, the Rangers did end up getting him in the summer.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#934 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

As I said, I do not deny Schneider's talent in the least. But when Lou's on his game, it's incredible. The argument still stands. They're both super goaltenders and the Canucks are reminiscent of a rich man who has it all but cannot get out of depression to save his life; an abundance of riches.

Moving Schneider might be the only way to solve this problem. He will have two years left at $4.000 MIL while Luongo is on a lifetime contract.

I somewhat agree.

I think Luongo when on his game was the best goalie in the league, in 2011. I haven't seen enough of him at this peak to say that with complete confidence anymore, although I am sure at his best he is still right up there.

Cory at his best is there too now, I agree with what oldnews said earlier that trading Luongo for nothing wouldn't be a loss this franchise. Theres the asset in moving the deal and mending things with Roberto. Who the fan base very much still loves despite accepting Cory as the guy.

I'm hopeful though that we can probably get a prospect or a 2nd or 3rd or something at the draft. Not a complete loss. And even if it isn't that. Someone will take him he's that good and there are ways around the long terms affects of the contract. I don't really see it as bad as some do. And I am sure at the measley price of a mid prospect or a 2nd or 3rd someone would stomach it no problem knowing what they are getting in Roberto Luongo.

I hope it doesn't got a second past the draft though, I am getting tired of talking about it now and if it goes past that I can't imagine how much more we will get sick of it.

zackass.png

#935 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

As I said, I do not deny Schneider's talent in the least. But when Lou's on his game, it's incredible. The argument still stands. They're both super goaltenders and the Canucks are reminiscent of a rich man who has it all but cannot get out of depression to save his life; an abundance of riches.

Moving Schneider might be the only way to solve this problem. He will have two years left at $4.000 MIL while Luongo is on a lifetime contract.

You said it right there. When Lou is on his game.
The trouble with Lou, and this is no secret, is that nobody knows when he'll be on his game, especially during the playoffs. He'll be outstandingly awesome one game and totally opposite the next. He cant be relied on to be consistent and I think that get's into the respective heads of his teammates, which could be a big part of the reason the Canucks flop out every postseason.

Edited by Riviera82, 04 April 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#936 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I somewhat agree.

I think Luongo when on his game was the best goalie in the league, in 2011. I haven't seen enough of him at this peak to say that with complete confidence anymore, although I am sure at his best he is still right up there.

Cory at his best is there too now, I agree with what oldnews said earlier that trading Luongo for nothing wouldn't be a loss this franchise. Theres the asset in moving the deal and mending things with Roberto. Who the fan base very much still loves despite accepting Cory as the guy.

I'm hopeful though that we can probably get a prospect or a 2nd or 3rd or something at the draft. Not a complete loss. And even if it isn't that. Someone will take him he's that good and there are ways around the long terms affects of the contract. I don't really see it as bad as some do. And I am sure at the measley price of a mid prospect or a 2nd or 3rd someone would stomach it no problem knowing what they are getting in Roberto Luongo.

I hope it doesn't got a second past the draft though, I am getting tired of talking about it now and if it goes past that I can't imagine how much more we will get sick of it.

I am still confident that Gillis can move Lou with assets coming back. The worse scenario is that the CAP gets lowered more than expected and a panic hits the June draft. It doesn't change the reality that teams will be looking for fresh starts and solid goaltending is critical. Acquiring teams will realize that Lou will be super motivated. Van can even lessen the contract burden by taking some CAP hit back. There are lots of options to make a deal work. All the press surrounding yesterday does weaken Gillis's trade position.

Edited by Boudrias, 04 April 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#937 NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

NuckFanLivingInCalgary:(

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

So basically TO may have given up two second rounders for Lou. That is what Tampa paid for Lindback.

That kind of return is unacceptable. Time to start shopping Cory if that's all we'll get for Luo.
Go Canucks Go!!!

#938 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

So basically TO may have given up two second rounders for Lou. That is what Tampa paid for Lindback.

That kind of return is unacceptable. Time to start shopping Cory if that's all we'll get for Luo.

I personally don't believe that really happened actually. Just Dregger pulling stuff to make MG look desperate to get rid of him. But at the same time, he makes Nonis look stupid for rejecting that offer too. Goes both ways.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#939 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I personally don't believe that really happened actually. Just Dregger pulling stuff to make MG look desperate to get rid of him. But at the same time, he makes Nonis look stupid for rejecting that offer too. Goes both ways.

It makes both Gms llook like absolute idiots...
If its true BOTH should be canned. Glad nonis didn't accept
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#940 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Makes him look stupid? To who? General consensus in Tdot seems to be Reimer and Scooby have earned their spots. Leafs record is pretty similar to ours and watching their play they seem like a decent team. Best case for us they make the playoffs and goaltending falters hard like it did for us in Minny. Even then they probably will go for someone else. Seems like a lot of teams are trying whatever else they possibly can to get a goalie thats not one of ours. Maybe they just don't wanna pay the price on one of our elite guys. Just goes to show teams either hate MG or dont value elite goaltending like we here at CDC do.

I think the best thing for this club is to go deep into the playoffs using both Lu and Cory. If Lu can show teams he is a playoff performer then that will seriously increase his value. If we just go with Cory and he takes us deep then he will probably be able to fetch us a sick return to an asset heavy team like Philly who may try to get rid of Bryzgalov and look to finally solidify its goaltending once and for all.

Edited by cdubuya, 04 April 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

#941 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Seems pretty clear to me that when Roberto signed this contract he believed his wife and family would come to love Vancouver and at least make that their home until his playing days were over. Is also very clear that has not happened and the main reason Lu wants out his because of his personal life, and the Canucks would certainly be trading Cory now if Lu actually wanted to be here.
The chances Lu has asked for a trade is very very high and it makes no difference on how much more they could possibly get for Cory.
One of the reasons I think Lu was not dealt is because many fans seem to think that Lu's contract is actually a good deal for any team getting him,lol,,maybe now that even Lu said his contract sucks fans will realise we will basically get nothing for him and we should all be very grateful that GMMG did not trade away Cory or we would be the ones looking for a goalie.

#942 Jougo

Jougo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

lp

#943 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

It makes both Gms llook like absolute idiots...
If its true BOTH should be canned. Glad nonis didn't accept

nonis has a young goalie with terrible defence infront of him playing pretty well ..Riemer save % .920 Luongo .904 with much better D infront of him why would leafs want him? like nonis said they were looking at kipper for short term insurence they dont want luongo or his contract its not just his term or money its the decline of his play hes on , Riemer is 13-4-4 Luongo 7-4-3 yeah i guess nonis is an idiot for not trading for the older goalie on the decline and crushing his young goalies confidence.. what moron.. like everyone else has said on tv at this point it would just be a blessing to get a pick or 2 for him and dump his salary ...

#944 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I somewhat agree.

There is not a 'loss' by keeping either goalie here, assuming Lack will one day show he is capable. That being said, clearly by Lou's comments yesterday he has been run out of town, wants out and needs out.

Given this drama, my guess is by draft day he will open his list a bit more, his value will increase a bit more for teams needing goaltending help (NYI, Tampa will have another fail on their hands, Wash, Philly post Bryz buyout and my guess is Reimer will crumble in TO under the pressure forcing Nonis's hand).

Regardless the market will change and given his cap hit isn't bad (which has been what everyone is arguing - that the cap is going down, well his hit has never been an issue so a bit of a red herring/falacious argument, issue has been TERM), someone will take him for a first rounder and a prospect.

By the offseason, MG would be happy to accept that as he will need to release some salary anyways, even with Lou gone.

#945 GPCanuck

GPCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

The Scrivens and two 2nd rounders for Lou rumour can't be true since TOR doesn't have two 2nd rounders to give. Smells fishy to me. No way a GM gives that kind of info to the media unless they are trying to create a stir, even if the media rep is your cousin.

http://www.prosports.../Years/2013.htm

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

#946 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

"Sources" = Darren Dreger.
"Multiple draft picks" referred to by Dreger becomes two 2nds.
"Willing to unload...on" = trolling.

Toronto "insiders" gossip away like an episode of the "Real" Housewives of Vancouver.
And, ironically, seemed fairly angry that a deal never got done.

If there is anything to these stories, there is nothing lost for Vancouver there.
Luongo is a far, far better guy to have for the playoff run.
A 2nd this summer and next...won't be losing any sleep over not having banked those.
I'd happily take less to send Luo to Florida for Petrovic and a 2nd in the summer, or Goc and Petrovic, or equivalent.

Very interesting to see Dreger/Toronto once again publicizing their oversold lowballing - the more they do so, the bigger the egg on their face if they crumble between now and season's end.
"That's all it would have taken for this franchise to finally have Luongo?"....
Gonna get interesting now.
That Leafs blueline got a big injection of... yeah, the pressure will be on. As it stands right now, they draw Jagr and the Bruins in round 1.

This isn't meant to pick on you but why does it always have to be the fault of the Toronto media or the Maple Leafs management? Can't this be that Gillis signed Luongo to an awful contract and it's close to impossible to move that deal? This is essentially what many analysts were thinking early on and it made so many Canuck's fans angry. Bob McKenzie said over ten months ago that the market for Luongo was small and this place exploded.

Why would any team give up assets for Luongo this summer when they know Gillis has to move his salary for next season. The cap is catching up to him fast. Any leverage Gillis had is gone. Teams may as well play chicken with him for Luongo. Gillis has to blink. He either takes back salary, eats cap or buys him out. No strength at all but might as well blame Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie, Damien Cox et all for that position and not the brilliant GM who put the club in this position.

#947 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Seems pretty clear to me that when Roberto signed this contract he believed his wife and family would come to love Vancouver and at least make that their home until his playing days were over. Is also very clear that has not happened and the main reason Lu wants out his because of his personal life, and the Canucks would certainly be trading Cory now if Lu actually wanted to be here.
The chances Lu has asked for a trade is very very high and it makes no difference on how much more they could possibly get for Cory.
One of the reasons I think Lu was not dealt is because many fans seem to think that Lu's contract is actually a good deal for any team getting him,lol,,maybe now that even Lu said his contract sucks fans will realise we will basically get nothing for him and we should all be very grateful that GMMG did not trade away Cory or we would be the ones looking for a goalie.

He wants out because he was run out of town by the fans and media, who would want to deal with this. there is fairness in critisizing his play, we all have a right as fans, but the amount of abuse the man takes is beyond reproach. he has dealt with it better than most human beings can and I for one felt very bad for him, watching that presser yesterday.

As commodore said, it was stupid. Why have a presser saying you weren't traded. Let MG handle it and let him play his game and go back to work. Why drag him through the mud etc, other than just to 'get it out of the way' perhaps.

That being said, you can see the emotional toll this has taken on him, and as a human being no one deserves this, no matter how much you are paid, etc etc...he brings smiles to kids who are dying at Canucks place, think about that next time people bash. Critisism as I said is fair, about his game, and comparing him to another goalie. But even I have crossed the line and am somewhat ashamed after watching that presser yesterday.

The city and fans owe that man an apology.

#948 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

He wants out because he was run out of town by the fans and media, who would want to deal with this. there is fairness in critisizing his play, we all have a right as fans, but the amount of abuse the man takes is beyond reproach. he has dealt with it better than most human beings can and I for one felt very bad for him, watching that presser yesterday.

As commodore said, it was stupid. Why have a presser saying you weren't traded. Let MG handle it and let him play his game and go back to work. Why drag him through the mud etc, other than just to 'get it out of the way' perhaps.

That being said, you can see the emotional toll this has taken on him, and as a human being no one deserves this, no matter how much you are paid, etc etc...he brings smiles to kids who are dying at Canucks place, think about that next time people bash. Critisism as I said is fair, about his game, and comparing him to another goalie. But even I have crossed the line and am somewhat ashamed after watching that presser yesterday.

Thanks for that BuretoMogilny. That just made you stand out of the crowd as a true leader. I know that wasn't the point and your realisation is indeed genuine. But very good on you.

I believe Luongo is ours to keep, to support and to be behind next time around. If we're going to break the goalie graveyard tag once and for all, perhaps this last tribulation for all of us to experience is necessary.

Forgiveness. Luongo can bring a team to a Stanley Cup win. If the rest of the team were to desire it as much as he, there will be a Cup shortly in this city.

#949 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Makes him look stupid? To who? General consensus in Tdot seems to be Reimer and Scooby have earned their spots. Leafs record is pretty similar to ours and watching their play they seem like a decent team. Best case for us they make the playoffs and goaltending falters hard like it did for us in Minny. Even then they probably will go for someone else. Seems like a lot of teams are trying whatever else they possibly can to get a goalie thats not one of ours. Maybe they just don't wanna pay the price on one of our elite guys. Just goes to show teams either hate MG or dont value elite goaltending like we here at CDC do.

I think the best thing for this club is to go deep into the playoffs using both Lu and Cory. If Lu can show teams he is a playoff performer then that will seriously increase his value. If we just go with Cory and he takes us deep then he will probably be able to fetch us a sick return to an asset heavy team like Philly who may try to get rid of Bryzgalov and look to finally solidify its goaltending once and for all.

I can see why a lot of clubs would be cautious about signing Lou at the deadline. Come June a lot of questions will be answered about what the CAP future looks like and more importantly the draft prospects for each team. I don't think Lou's contract is untradeable and in fact I think there is value there. His hit at $5.4 Mil is affordable and the duration assuming strong play for another 5 years leaves 4 years of split CAP. I am sure Gillis can play with the details. CS isn't being traded. If he excels in playoffs it simply confirms his value to the Canucks. He could easily be Van's goalie for 10 years. Hopefully Gillis can get rid of the three biggest contracts; Lou, Ballard and Booth without costing anything. Lou and Ballard will bring a return.

#950 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Dave Nonis pretty much screwed the Canucks over by telling the world through media that Gillis offered them 2 2nds and Scrivens. Way to go botch our chance at getting something decent for him Dave you loser.

Nonis screwed himself. He lowballed Gillis and I for one am glad Gillis didn't budge from his position. He also screwed with his own goaltenders' heads.

#951 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

The Scrivens and two 2nd rounders for Lou rumour can't be true since TOR doesn't have two 2nd rounders to give. Smells fishy to me. No way a GM gives that kind of info to the media unless they are trying to create a stir, even if the media rep is your cousin.

http://www.prosports.../Years/2013.htm

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

Probably would have been this years and next years.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#952 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Sometimes hard to get one's ducks in a row...

#953 Goalscorer

Goalscorer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Nonis screwed himself. He lowballed Gillis and I for one am glad Gillis didn't budge from his position. He also screwed with his own goaltenders' heads.

How does Nonis screw himself??? If goaltending is an issue in the playoffs for the Leafs, he can address it in the summer. The fan base will take a 1st rd playoff exit this year. Gillis is the one that is screwed. Why is it going to be easier to move him and his contract easier this summer??? Still don't get that as there will be an abundance of keepers available.

#954 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Somehow a 12 year, SIXTY MILLION DOLLAR contract, with a no trade clause sounds like Lou held Gillis hostage.

In context, we were rounding into a championship team. And Gillis thought he needed him?

But Lou only signed when he leveraged EVERY term he demanded. Maybe he did not really want to sign and Gillis begged him?

I'm still not so sure we should feel sorry for Lou.

And then we have rumours he has used his NTC to also control where he goes. Lou continued to use every tool at his disposal?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 April 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#955 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

How does Nonis screw himself??? If goaltending is an issue in the playoffs for the Leafs, he can address it in the summer. The fan base will take a 1st rd playoff exit this year. Gillis is the one that is screwed. Why is it going to be easier to move him and his contract easier this summer??? Still don't get that as there will be an abundance of keepers available.

No worries. Luongo isn't moving.

#956 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I doubt MG can move Schneider or Luongo at the price he's asking. All the GMs know that Vancouver has too much money tied up in the goalie position. So MG is now in a position of weakness. So unless some other GM is under the gun to get a #1 goalie, I fear the return will be weak for either of them.

#957 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I doubt MG can move Schneider or Luongo at the price he's asking. All the GMs know that Vancouver has too much money tied up in the goalie position. So MG is now in a position of weakness. So unless some other GM is under the gun to get a #1 goalie, I fear the return will be weak for either of them.

This summer with a normal season in sight. But even if Luongo were to stand on his head and win a Cup, Schneider would still be more attractive to other teams due to Luongo's damned contract.

Luongo is the first one to come out with a "my contract sucks" notion. Perhaps fans, media, players and GMs alike have heard him and will subsequently think twice before handing out such atrocious deals. Excellent players get ruined by such unmovable contracts and drastically reduce team value by not being able to trade for equal assets.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 04 April 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#958 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I am still confident that Gillis can move Lou with assets coming back. The worse scenario is that the CAP gets lowered more than expected and a panic hits the June draft. It doesn't change the reality that teams will be looking for fresh starts and solid goaltending is critical. Acquiring teams will realize that Lou will be super motivated. Van can even lessen the contract burden by taking some CAP hit back. There are lots of options to make a deal work. All the press surrounding yesterday does weaken Gillis's trade position.

We already know what the cap is dropping to, so nothing unexpected will happen but I think we will get something too, not just. Maybe a 2nd round pick or 2. Or a prospect and a pick. But not much more than that. And thats fine, the cap space is an asset too, aswell as moving on from the situation.

zackass.png

#959 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

There is not a 'loss' by keeping either goalie here, assuming Lack will one day show he is capable. That being said, clearly by Lou's comments yesterday he has been run out of town, wants out and needs out.

Given this drama, my guess is by draft day he will open his list a bit more, his value will increase a bit more for teams needing goaltending help (NYI, Tampa will have another fail on their hands, Wash, Philly post Bryz buyout and my guess is Reimer will crumble in TO under the pressure forcing Nonis's hand).

Regardless the market will change and given his cap hit isn't bad (which has been what everyone is arguing - that the cap is going down, well his hit has never been an issue so a bit of a red herring/falacious argument, issue has been TERM), someone will take him for a first rounder and a prospect.

By the offseason, MG would be happy to accept that as he will need to release some salary anyways, even with Lou gone.

Yeah well having a goaltender here is fine, then ship him off for something similar to what Toronto turned down. Its a shame they added this penalty for these contracts in the new CBA, otherwise his contract would be quite good.

Oh well, he will help us now and then move on later.

zackass.png

#960 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, you're right, just choked learning that Lu nixed trades on Gillis.
Read tsn article half way down
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419791

Yeah, without an actual quote from Gillis I take Lu's word that he hasn't said no to any actual deals.

You know it. To me, I did not see a sad Luongo because he didn't get traded. I saw a heart broken Luongo who realized that the possibility of actually being traded was right around the corner. His guts turned yesterday afternoon...

I think what we have in Vancouver is a real gent of a man with a sensible, sensitive, passionate personality that is sometimes taken right out of context. He was drilled hard by the media today and stood high in the face of adversity like never before, fielding all questions in a professional and honest manner.

Yes, his contract sucks. He and everyone involved knows. Gillis also mentioned it in his presser, that Luongo's contract made sense at the time of the signing but that this game is lucid in its inner workings.

No knock on Cory Schneider, who is an excellent goaltender, but he is of no match to Luongo if Luongo gets his head in it. As per TSN's panel today, Luongo's contract is so immovable now and perhaps even in the summer due to a reduction in salary cap, that it is starting to make sense and cents to look at moving Schneider instead. This trade deadline, the returns of a Schneider trade could have put this team in better shape for a Cup for these upcoming playoffs but the returns from a Schneider trade this summer could put this team over the top and put it back as favorites for a few years yet.

And the Canucks would still have Luongo in net, which is not a bad thing at all.

Theoretically, Schneider could be worth the 1st overall or at least of the 1-5 top picks and the Canucks could then proceed in selecting a future T1D which they never had in the history of the franchise.

I agree completely other than the Schneider is nothing compared to a Lu on his game.

I would love to see Schneider moved at the draft for a top 5 pick. Imagine if we could get whats-his-name the big defenseman dude. Drouin makes me pee a little when I think about him. MacKinnon projects to be everything we wish Kesler was. SETH JONES! That's his name. That guy would be my top choice.

Edited by WiDeN, 04 April 2013 - 05:37 PM.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.