The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

Was thinking the same thing. Would have loved if he came out, said "yeah baby - what a relief! What's the point in going to a bad team right now? I can do that in the summer. I want to go to Florida - what's the point of that right now? They're playing for a lottery pick and I'd be done in a dozen games. I'm here for a playoff run - and we can deal with the rest later. Most veterans want to go to a contender for a chance at a Cup. Well here I am. Cory and I are gonna give it our all to rock this."

Yes. Pretty unambiguous - never had a deal in place to the extent of Luongo being asked to waive.

Personally I'm not disappointed. MG took care of the team's biggest need yesterday. Without Kesler and Malhotra, this team hasn't lit the league on fire (although 19-11 isn't too bad). With Kesler and Roy however, this is a dangerous team - among the best rosters this team has ever had, with a number of serviceable depth forwards and a full emerging youth line in the balance.

The Laffs network idiots talking about Liles or Komisarek blah, blah - what is the incentive of taking their garbage contracts, with unserviceable players attached to them, to have them buried in Chicago? They have no value to us. Luongo is part of a tandem - that is far better than any AHL defenseman with a garbage contract. We'll keep the A player for the time being, who is worth his cap hit, and whose term is always over-stated - and have one of the best goaltending insurance policies in the NHL. Luo can be moved for futures in the summer. Eddie Lack will regain his health. I agree entirely with MayDay on this one. Right now Luongo has far more value to us than leftover Leaf blueliners. Did anyone notice they went out and added a depth defenseman? Tells you what they think of what they are offering us.

Relieved that Luo won't be wearing a Maple Leaf. They evidently didn't really want him, in which case, they don't deserve him.

And you never know - Luongo still has an opportunity to lift a Cup here.

lol...you again

So tell me. What's the better option:

-Trading him for basically "nothing" now and having unused cap space with no quality backup to Schneider.

-Trading him this summer for at least "nothing" (hopefully more) and retaining the best backup in the league in case Corey falters or gets injured.

How exactly is the latter better for the team? It doesn't help them this year, in the playoffs or regular season.

I disagree about the last hope, but agree that Philly is possible.

Mason is a UFA. He's a rental, an average option to go to if they should manage to sneak into the playoffs and Bryz melts down (again).

Florida is still a possibility.

The Islanders.

And everyone assumes the market shrinks when other guys go on the market - but for every one of them, there's a team that just lost a goaltender.

There was no point in taking prospects and picks at this point. That would have been a bad decision - the time to do that, if that's the result, is in the offseason.

Ala Quick. No beef to the forwards and no R-Dman. The Canucks will be lucky to get to the 2nd round. To many 'ifs' surrounding players out on injury returning and being effective. I am glad that Gillis didn't get stupid if there wasn't a deal that made sense. He must have had some confidence to make the Roy trade that he could add more.

That's what I'm thinking. Steve Mason is not their answer if they buy out Bryzgalov. Another year of bad goaltending in the playoffs(if they even make it) and I could see snider saying get me luongo.

Toronto is still an offseason possibility. If Toronto has an early exit 4 goals a game they will probably revisit Lu.

Florida is still a question mark. I don't know if they want him at all but the history there suggests the door isn't completely closed.

NYI are going to seriously look at goalies this offseason unless those guys impress big time

Extremely spot on.

Except if we win our division we should get to the 2knd round. Last year we were unlucky to draw LA first. Its pretty much Anaheim & Chicago in our conference but we have a good shot to beat anyone else?

The Roy deal is about getting us a round. A "BOLD" deal would have been required, ie Lou and Edler, to restore us as a favourite.

Ala Quick. No beef to the forwards and no R-Dman. The Canucks will be lucky to get to the 2nd round. To many 'ifs' surrounding players out on injury returning and being effective. I am glad that Gillis didn't get stupid if there wasn't a deal that made sense. He must have had some confidence to make the Roy trade that he could add more.

it is bad but i dont trust anything nonis's puppet says on the situation which is exactly what dreger is. I remember dreger talking up nonis's moves when he was GM here and it was just pitiful to watch. Theyre cousins he is clearly biased.

far from it, imo. He added skill, but the problem this team runs into time and time again, in the post season, is they get pushed around and taken completely out of their game. All MG did was make this worse. He needed at least one big body, preferably more, and he failed miserably. In no way do I see this lineup getting out of the first round.......especially with improvements to other teams in the lat cpl days

I disagree about the last hope, but agree that Philly is possible.

Mason is a UFA. He's a rental, an average option to go to if they should manage to sneak into the playoffs and Bryz melts down (again).

Florida is still a possibility.

The Islanders.

And everyone assumes the market shrinks when other guys go on the market - but for every one of them, there's a team that just lost a goaltender.

There was no point in taking prospects and picks at this point. That would have been a bad decision - the time to do that, if that's the result, is in the offseason.

But we're far from favourites!

1) Chicago

2) Boston

3) Pitt

4) Anaheim

No particular order. Maybe include LA again in a top group, but injury problems on D? We're 2knd tier with teams like Minny, SJ, Montreal who all have talent but something that has to step up or hold together.

Archived