3230 replies to this topic

#1231 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Honestly, we are already seeing a break in Schneider. I think Schneider will eventually be able to handle it - but he will face some failures and learn from mistakes as Luongo did with the media.

Luongo's learned everything he needs - he's done every wrong at every level in the playoffs with the media. Luongo is now at a place where he is finally comfortable and can do no wrong. He's finally able to handle this city.

It'll take Schneider time. Our window to win, however, is now. Why, then, stick with the younger less experienced?

Lack will come along. Goalies can always be attained through trades and signings. That's how we got Luongo. Schneider brings a long-term security, but Luongo provides the win-now opportunity.

Stick with #1. Get assets for #35. Go for the Cup.

Schneider has had it 10x worse then Luo, already in his first season. He's had to play almost perfect and any little flaw people have called him on it and begged for Luo to replace him. He's literally playing for his life each game he plays and so far he's come up successful. In all fair unless he wins a cup you can only expect 6-8 years out a goalie in a canadian market. It's too mentally draining on a person to be put in this situation.

Luongo is going. He wants to leave. Can't you see how depressed he was that he wasn't traded. It's not that he hates this city but imagining haven't a entire city watching every play and harshly judging. Luongo is like a bad relationship, one that you know isn't going to last but it's hard to say good bye.

As far as lack coming along. Seriously people enough about lack coming in and being this great #1, the guy is already 25, To say he will come in and take over when Luo retires is the dumbest thing ever. If he has so much talent why will he wait till he's 30 to finally get his shot.

#1232 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Jakob Markstrom allows 6 goals on 33 shots. Not that it really matters. His team got badly out played, but they got badly out played by another weak team. He already let in 2 goals very early on.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1233 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Dale Tallon picks up yet another marquis prospect in this year's draft, and then flips a prospect or two this way for Roberto.
Win, win for all sides.

#1234 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Jakob Markstrom allows 6 goals on 33 shots. Not that it really matters. His team got badly out played, but they got badly out played by another weak team. He already let in 2 goals very early on.

They're going to ruin him before he ever gets the chance if they keep up the crap way they're playing in front of him. He could stand to be eased in a bit more, at least over one more year if not two. He can still be good, but won't if this is the path they're going to give him. Too bad they don't have a veteran goalie who can still play top level for the next several years, eh?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1235 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Bjugstaad for all the 'he's a superhero' player posters

7gp = 0 pts and a -6

Only 7 games yes but not a great start for a kid who's supposed to be a top prospect....as I said, asking for him is not as big of a stretch as people think

Coming out of US college there is a big adjustment, it is not the same as the OHL, even though players are older the level of competition is not the same, thats why there haven't been many superstars come out of that league.

look at schultz, he is playing ok, lit it up in the AHL and everyone though this kid was going to tear it up.

they are players who need development like everyone else and Bjugstaad is showing that so he's not out of the question, because until he's a sure thing, there is risk for FLA.

#1236 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

7gp = 0 pts and a -6

Only 7 games yes but not a great start for a kid who's supposed to be a top prospect....as I said, asking for him is not as big of a stretch as people think

Coming out of US college there is a big adjustment, it is not the same as the OHL, even though players are older the level of competition is not the same, thats why there haven't been many superstars come out of that league.

look at schultz, he is playing ok, lit it up in the AHL and everyone though this kid was going to tear it up.

they are players who need development like everyone else and Bjugstaad is showing that so he's not out of the question, because until he's a sure thing, there is risk for FLA.

Asking for Bjugstad is an incredible stretch, There's no reason for Florida to take on Luongo's massive contract. They'll likely go after a veteran goalie on a 1-2 year deal to split duties with Markstrom.

Didn't know getting 23 points in 43 games as a d-man is classified as OK. I don't think many people were expecting him to go a point-per-game in his rookie year in the NHL. Schultz has played great this year but he definitely needs to work on his defensive game. Still, getting as many points as the top Canuck d-man in his rookie year is far better than OK.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 20 April 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#1237 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Honestly, we are already seeing a break in Schneider.

k

#1238 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

The technicality of goaltending!!!!

I get it now. You're an imposter trying to destabilize this team. A God damned Chicago/ Boston fan.

Luongo's contract might look bad now. But Schneider's next contract will be above 6 if not 7 million dollars. Careful what you wish for. We all know what happens when an athlete is perceived to be paid more than their actual worth and / or don't live up to their contracts.

The logic here is impeccable.
Careful what you wish for - Schneider might be too good - and then we'll have to pay him. Sounds like a losing logic to me...
And as for your "we all know" example, are you talking about Luongo?
Luo's not perceived to be paid more than he's worth. I haven't really heard it stated by anyone that he's overpaid - the only issue with his contract is obviously term, and even that is routinely over-stated considering both the back-diving aspect and his work ethic/typical longevity of goaltenders like himself.

#1239 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Honestly, we are already seeing a break in Schneider.

:bigblush:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1240 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Honestly, we are already seeing a break in Schneider. I think Schneider will eventually be able to handle it - but he will face some failures and learn from mistakes as Luongo did with the media.

Luongo's learned everything he needs - he's done every wrong at every level in the playoffs with the media. Luongo is now at a place where he is finally comfortable and can do no wrong. He's finally able to handle this city.

It'll take Schneider time. Our window to win, however, is now. Why, then, stick with the younger less experienced?

Lack will come along. Goalies can always be attained through trades and signings. That's how we got Luongo. Schneider brings a long-term security, but Luongo provides the win-now opportunity.

Stick with #1. Get assets for #35. Go for the Cup.

Cory Schneider says Hi as he holds his first star against Detroit !! Eat crow !

#1241 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

The logic here is impeccable.
Careful what you wish for - Schneider might be too good - and then we'll have to pay him. Sounds like a losing logic to me...
And as for your "we all know" example, are you talking about Luongo?
Luo's not perceived to be paid more than he's worth. I haven't really heard it stated by anyone that he's overpaid - the only issue with his contract is obviously term, and even that is routinely over-stated considering both the back-diving aspect and his work ethic/typical longevity of goaltenders like himself.

The negatives about Lu's contract are simply overstated repeatedly. HNIC says the NHL estimates as much as $1 billion in sales for the six outdoor games next year. If they are successful just imagine the spin-offs on media deals. Imagine the CAP ramifications. I love the way Schneider is assuming a leadership role on this team. The poor defensive play in front of him has to cause nightmares.

#1242 ronningsback

ronningsback

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'd trade Luongo tomorrow morning for Kyle Wellwood ...straight up!!

#1243 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'd trade Luongo tomorrow morning for Kyle Wellwood ...straight up!!

You're drunk.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1244 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Has anybody looked at Reimer's stats in Toronto....926 Sp, an 18-6 record ? Nonis is looking like a genius in not trading impact players for Luongo ! Reimer is sure looking like a keeper(pun intended) :)

#1245 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

The negatives about Lu's contract are simply overstated repeatedly. HNIC says the NHL estimates as much as $1 billion in sales for the six outdoor games next year. If they are successful just imagine the spin-offs on media deals. Imagine the CAP ramifications. I love the way Schneider is assuming a leadership role on this team. The poor defensive play in front of him has to cause nightmares.

it is the term not the cap

If Luongo had only 3-4 years left on his contract, he would have been traded already yielding a great return

#1246 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

it is the term not the cap

If Luongo had only 3-4 years left on his contract, he would have been traded already yielding a great return

I brought up the possibility of an increased CAP because a fear exists that the CAP might go down even further. An increasing CAP downplays the impact of Lu's CAP it into the future. As a quality tender I expect Lu will play at a high level for another 5 years. If he retired at that point his final four years would be pro-rated between the acquiring team and Vancouver. CAP hit of $5.4 mil, a cash hit in the last 2 years of $1.5 mil. I don't see enough negatives for a number of teams wanting to trade for him.

#1247 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I brought up the possibility of an increased CAP because a fear exists that the CAP might go down even further. An increasing CAP downplays the impact of Lu's CAP it into the future. As a quality tender I expect Lu will play at a high level for another 5 years. If he retired at that point his final four years would be pro-rated between the acquiring team and Vancouver. CAP hit of $5.4 mil, a cash hit in the last 2 years of $1.5 mil. I don't see enough negatives for a number of teams wanting to trade for him.

Of course you speak logic. If this identical player/contract were in Boston or Pittsburgh, it would be a GREAT deal for a superb vet. Some team takes on Thomas as a cap-favour...Absolute garbage! It's all media-spin within a league that doesn't need/want Canadian teams dominating like the Pens/Wings/Devs, et al...They don't want Van to parlay their 'tender-depth into 2 or 3 strong young pieces. MG prob doesn't belong in the "secret handshake club".

So much pulp wasted on a non-issue. LeCav's contract should be considered a terrorist act compared to Luongo's...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad, 21 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#1248 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Of course you speak logic. If this identical player/contract were in Boston or Pittsburgh, it would be a GREAT deal for a superb vet. Some team takes on Thomas as a cap-favour...Absolute garbage! It's all media-spin within a league that doesn't need/want Canadian teams dominating like the Pens/Wings/Devs, et al...They don't want Van to parlay their 'tender-depth into 2 or 3 strong young pieces. MG prob doesn't belong in the "secret handshake club".

So much pulp wasted on a non-issue. LeCav's contract should be considered a terrorist act compared to Luongo's...

No doubt there is a business angle to it. I could never figure how Sather could sign those deals and still come up with more CAP space!

#1249 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Jesus man,,, even Luongo himself stated publicly in an interview that his contract suck,lol
As an example why in the hell would Florida pay Luongo 40 million to mentor Markstrom?
Luongo has no value and thus he has not been traded because if Gillis could have got anything tangible to help this team with the window closing, he would have dealt Lu.

#1250 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Jesus man,,, even Luongo himself stated publicly in an interview that his contract suck,lol
As an example why in the hell would Florida pay Luongo 40 million to mentor Markstrom?
Luongo has no value and thus he has not been traded because if Gillis could have got anything tangible to help this team with the window closing, he would have dealt Lu.

Luongo has extreme value for the team that signed him. That's why he's staying.

He's an elite goaltender with an atrocious contract.

Can't get sent down, can't get traded, can't get bought out, can't retire. He can just PLAY.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 21 April 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#1251 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

...And leaving in the summer

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#1252 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

...And leaving in the summer

Derek Roy is leaving this summer.

#1253 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

7gp = 0 pts and a -6

7 games man.

I will file this in my people that have zero credibility folder.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1254 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Can't get sent down, can't get traded, can't get bought out, can't retire. He can just PLAY.

So, Luongo saying last april it was time to move on.
Luongo saying in camp he could stay here for this season because it was a short season.
Luongo saying it is hard to trade him because his contract sucks isnt enough for you to see the writing on the wall?lol
One would think if he actually wanted to stay here at some point along the way he would have said his preference was to stay in Vancouver.

#1255 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

once in awhile, behind Schneider !! The Technicality of Goaltending....pity !

#1256 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Only truthful statement is that he does have an atrocious contract.

In case you have not noticed Cory is the man, so what value does a guy making 5.3 picking splinters out his greedy ass have?
He could be sent down, he has agreed to be traded, he can be bought out, or he could retire.
He has no NMC so they can waive him or anything else they want, only thing that maybe you have not seen in the last year is that he has agreed to be traded, but he could veto any deal if he so wishes.

#1257 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Actually all of those things can happen to him, the least likely however is a trade for anything useful.

#1258 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

In a Luongo trade, are we allowed to keep some of his salary but not his caphit, or are they linked together? Probably the only way we avoid either buying him out or taking another bad contract back.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#1259 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Roberto Luongo is leaving this summer.

Fixed

#1260 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

In a Luongo trade, are we allowed to keep some of his salary but not his caphit, or are they linked together? Probably the only way we avoid either buying him out or taking another bad contract back.

They are linked. If you want to keep 10% of his salary, you also have to keep 10% of his cap hit (and vice versa).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.