The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

MG's final offer:

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Canucks were willing to unload Luongo on Toronto for goalie Ben Scrivens and a pair of second-round picks in their final, final offer before the minutes ticked away.

http://espn.go.com/b...fails-to-launch

I would've dropped the 2nd 2nd pick to make the deal. Scrivens is a good young goalie with lots of upside, a 2nd is nice and unloading Lu's contract would've been the right thing to do for the long run.

Meh Scrivens doesn't have that much upside and would have been replaced by Lack next season.

I would have offered a prospect instead or maybe MacArthur if they would rather have ditched him as a rental.

"Sources" = Darren Dreger.

"Multiple draft picks" referred to by Dreger becomes two 2nds.

"Willing to unload...on" = trolling.

Toronto "insiders" gossip away like an episode of the "Real" Housewives of Vancouver.

And, ironically, seemed fairly angry that a deal never got done.

If there is anything to these stories, there is nothing lost for Vancouver there.

Luongo is a far, far better guy to have for the playoff run.

A 2nd this summer and next...won't be losing any sleep over not having banked those.

I'd happily take less to send Luo to Florida for Petrovic and a 2nd in the summer, or Goc and Petrovic, or equivalent.

Very interesting to see Dreger/Toronto once again publicizing their oversold lowballing - the more they do so, the bigger the egg on their face if they crumble between now and season's end.

"That's all it would have taken for this franchise to finally have Luongo?"....

Gonna get interesting now.

That Leafs blueline got a big injection of... yeah, the pressure will be on. As it stands right now, they draw Jagr and the Bruins in round 1.

Toronto "insiders" gossip away like an episode of the "Real" Housewives of Vancouver.

If there is anything to these stories, there is nothing lost for Vancouver there.

A 2nd this summer and next...won't be losing any sleep over not having banked those.

I'd happily take less to send Luo to Florida for Petrovic and a 2nd in the summer, or Goc and Petrovic, or equivalent.

Very interesting to see Dreger/Toronto once again publicizing their oversold lowballing - the more they do so, the bigger the egg on their face if they crumble between now and season's end.

That Leafs blueline got a big injection of... yeah, the pressure will be on. As it stands right now, they draw Jagr and the Bruins in round 1.

It was $10M last year and $6.75 this year and the next 6. All over 12 years to bring it down to the caphit of the best goalie ever. Thanks for coming out.

Just read that MG said Lu blocked a couple trades. What a guy.

If all we get for Luongo is a pair of 2nd round picks and a goalie prospect, should we consider trading Schneider for something substantial? If you think about it, we did sign Luongo to be our goaltender for many years to come and we do have two good goalie prospects in Läck and Cannata, so it's not like we're screwed in the goalie department if we keep Luongo and trade Schneider.

It's a utilitarian perspective; our decision is based on what would benefit the organization more. Suppose we trade Luongo and get 10 jellybeans back, but if we trade Schneider we get 20 jellybeans back. Does it not make more sense to trade Schneider? Especially if Luongo and Schneider are of the same playing ability (albeit Luongo may decline soon)?

Yes there are many variables (like Schneider outperforming Luongo this year or next or the year after), but if we get can get a lot more for Schneider and we have the goaltending depth within the organization then why not?

Let's face it - all this pissy pissy out of Toronto is about one thing - they got snubbed by Kipprusoff hahaha.

Nonis tried to pick up another goaltender, but in the end "had to go home alone" (TSN's words).

No shortage of pressure on the Leafs backend now, and the seed of doubt was planted firmly by the Leafs in the process.

Btw, Kipper's lifetime .912 sv% and 2.48 gaa has earned him the right to say no - and Feaster has an appropriate perspective on it - after everything Kipprusoff has done for the Flames, he has a right to do what he wants. The Flames missed out on a pick as a result, but that's not worth squabbling over.

Luongo's lifetime ..919 sv% and 2.52 gaa has earned him the right to have a say in his future. The Canucks have gotten more than full value out of the Luongo deal. I'm not particularly concerned with the return - imo my proposals have been fairly close in value to what is being rumoured - but regardless, as with the Flames who won't get anything for Kiprussoff due to his NTC, as opposed to Luongo's term, there is really no asset loss possible. The Kipprusoff and Luongo acquisitions have paid off big for these franchises - both guys took their teams to game 7 of the SCF. These players have produced. Luo will continue to.

The Leafs now have to sit with their decision - according to their claims, they rejected pretty favourable deals, so it's their decision to regret now - let the chips fall where they may. I'd be happy to see Luo in a Panthers jersey for a comparable or discounted deal - splitting hairs over asset value isn't that important.

Expectations may be low, but the possibility of Luongo being here for a Stanley Cup is still a living possibility...

Sorry if this has already been brought up was i wasnt about to read through a zilllion pages to see if anyone has brought this up in a while

I know i willl probably be flogged for saying this but would a swap of lou for viny lecavalier be an option at this point? as it looks like we will have a hard time getting anything for lou, maybe we would be best to swap bad contract for bad contract and at least have a useful player on our roster. vinnys contract is around 2.5 mil higher cap hit so im not sure if we could fit him in under the cap but maybe if we are dumping booth and ballard we can. I would think a move would be good for him to rejuvinate things a bit. his is two years younger than lou and his contract is up two years earlier. His pay tapers down when he is 37 so he could be bought out for cheap.

Would he love the beautiful refreshing rain of vancouver over the sweltering heat of tampa.

Not sure.

Sorry, read half way down in tsn article. Gillis said Lu nixed trades.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419791

'Gillis said getting the right compensation in return has been the biggest stumbling block in dealing the 34-year-old netminder. He also said that there have been deals on the table that Luongo turned down, since he has a no-movement clause in his contract.,

Alright lets think draft day deals. Here's mine

Vancouver

Bjugstad, 3rd

Florida

Luongo

Vancouver

Forsberg

Nashville

Schroeder, Canucks 2013 1st or Booth which ever they prefer.

We get a couple top end prospects for the future and shed salary. Florida gets an elite goalie, Nashville gets a playmaking centre and a 1st.

Sorry if this has already been brought up was i wasnt about to read through a zilllion pages to see if anyone has brought this up in a while

I know i willl probably be flogged for saying this but would a swap of lou for viny lecavalier be an option at this point? as it looks like we will have a hard time getting anything for lou, maybe we would be best to swap bad contract for bad contract and at least have a useful player on our roster. vinnys contract is around 2.5 mil higher cap hit so im not sure if we could fit him in under the cap but maybe if we are dumping booth and ballard we can. I would think a move would be good for him to rejuvinate things a bit. his is two years younger than lou and his contract is up two years earlier. His pay tapers down when he is 37 so he could be bought out for cheap.

Would he love the beautiful refreshing rain of vancouver over the sweltering heat of tampa.

Not sure.

I'm going to tell you in the most polite way possible that you are crazy.

This is a complete disaster, Luongo and Gillis with their conflicting accounts speaks volumes of how much of a mess this is.

Toronto really didn't want Luongo's contract.

Would you want a player that may marginally improve a weak area of your team with a 60M contract?

Like seriously, how much is he going to help them?

There is no conspiracy, Gillis is asking more than Luo is worth.

A decent player on a bad contract right now = the Jaybo trade.

The goalie market is not going to improve during the summer. We are in some deep water here.

Archived